“Disappointing to say the very least!!! :(” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Britannia on William Backpackers

You added Britannia on William Backpackers to your Saves list
Britannia on William Backpackers
253 William St, Perth, Western Australia 6003, Australia (Formerly YHA) (Perth CBD)   |
Ranked #42 of 56 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Disappointing to say the very least!!! :(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I actually stayed here in 2010 not 2013 but it doesn't give me that option. I don't even know where to begin, if it weren't for the people who were staying there with me it would have been completely unbearable. Well where to start, I stayed in a large dorm for about 2 months, however they don't take long term bookings so I was frequently having to pack up and change rooms when rebooking and eventually I was told that all the beds were booked and that I had to leave. I pointed out the fact I had been staying there for a while and had spent a lot of money on accommodation there but in spite of that they asked me to leave. This was actually quite worrying as I was then, an 18 yr old girl, on my own, with a suitcase on a desperate search for another hostel to stay in. I was informed several times by my friends that the bed I had been staying in was not occupied by anyone for several weeks after I was asked to leave. The only positive about this place is Auntie Po (if she is still there) and the location. If you can overlook the rude management, the filthy kitchens with cockroaches running around, the lack of curtains in the bedrooms and the no air conditioning despite excessive temperatures then this place is perfect! Otherwise I would say, go elsewhere and judging by the other reviews I am not the only one who feels that way!!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Don't even contemplate this place, expensive messy and smells, we got a room with no furnishings, sheets stank, no windows in room, building creaked and made noise could literally hear people on the other side of hostel walking around, a huge percentage of the backpackers there were Asian, and extremely rude and unfriendly, in fact this place seems to make people unfriendly .The showers were nice and it had a good location, but it was so noisy at night it was unreal, this was mainly from the hostel even though there is signs saying quiet at night, I don't think the owners care about the customers, if they did then maybe a ladder on the bunkbed ? Or even a mirror or even clean the place, I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy, and by the looks of it neither would most people, at least none of our stuff got stolen, but seriously don't even contemplate going here, I would rather sleep in a drain or sewer than spend a night here

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

This place is not good at all. I imagine its kind of like what prison feels like. But prison is free and this place charge a fortune! Glad I only stayed 1 night.

Only plus side is that it's close to the city centre. 5 min walk to perth central train station. I didn't meet the crazy Chinese lady on the front desk I met a quite nice Australian man.

Stayed January 2014
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed here over the weekend and I have got little bites all over my skin. I dont know whether it is from the mattress, or the discusting carpeting that looks original. I have had to re-clean everything, including my backpack. Staff is not friendly. The room smelled like my grandmothers house (after she died in it) and when I walked across the floors I feard I might fall through. I am a well travelled backpacker and have stayed in many places, but this tops the list for worst hostel I have ever been to. I DO NOT RECOMEND STAYING THERE!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Gothenburg, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Not very clean and quite unfriendly staff. The room we were supposed to check into had yet to be cleaned and the beds still had previous guests sheets. They managed to find us another room but they all feel like prison cells without windows and dirty walls and roofs. Very difficult to get a good nights sleep aswell because of the sounds the building makes when people move around. (floors and doors squeeks loudly).
overall not a very good place but still a good location and one of the cheaper backpackers in Perth.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Exmouth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Most horrible experience I ever had in staying at a backpackers hotel still itching from the bed bugs! Everything was dirty ... Personal extremely rude and unhelpful ! Don't book with these slobs if you have a choice !

• Stayed October 2013
Griffith, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed here for one night before and two nights after a trip up the west coast. The first night everything went smoothly, room was clean and considering there are bars nearby very little noise. However when I checked in for two nights after my trip the problems began.

I was checked in by a guy who was clearly on his first solo duty as he asked me on 3 occasions if I was checking in. 1 of the 2 nights was prepaid in conjunction with the night I had stayed previously. I had given them the voucher on the first visit and was told I wouldnt need it back as I was now on record, however the guy at reception the second time wanted me to pay for a night that id already paid for and then requested the voucher that I dont have as they had kept it! To make things worse, on attempting to pay for the 1 remaining unpaid night, I wanted to use my debit card but was told that their card mininum is 100 dollars! That is a joke and I have never seen that rule in any other hostel in Australia in the last 11 months! As for the room, it was clean but the hallways were stinking of vomit the whole 2 days I was there. Very poor

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Britannia on William Backpackers? Share your experiences!