“worst hostel in australia” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Britannia on William Backpackers

You added Britannia on William Backpackers to your Saves list
Britannia on William Backpackers
253 William St, Perth, Western Australia 6003, Australia (Formerly YHA) (Perth CBD)   |
Ranked #40 of 53 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Perth, Australia
“worst hostel in australia”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE! this hostel is run by a little chinese woman and not only did she shout at me but her hostel is vile. we arrived about 11 oclock on saturay and couldnt check in till 12 so that was fine when we did go to our room it was very smelly and the bedding looked very unclean. we were to check out the next day at 10 oclock but unlike every other hostel in Australia we werent allowed to go upstairs and use the kitchen or showers. which she had not informed us at check in and we had bought a load of food for our lunch and dinner but had to put it in the bin. the worst part was i had put washing in at half 8 that morning but there had been no dryers come 10 oclock so i went upstairs after check out to use the dryer and the owner came storming after me demanding what room i was in! when i said i had checked out i was just putting my washing in the dryer she said i should have done it last night and told them i was doing a washing :S she questioned me where my baggage was and where my cousin, who i was travelling with, was. she told me not to go upstairs again. our flight was not till much later that day so we couldnt even shower or anything before our flight. Do not stay especially if you want to be treated like dirt by the owner!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This place is cheap, dirty, nasty, rundown, and stingy and the guests seemed uninteresting, sleazy and unfriendly. If you like very dirty rooms, uncomfortable beds, the worst possible pillows in the world, rude staff, broken toilets, dirty showers and sleazy guests then this is the place for you!

I have stayed in hostels in third world countries that are better than this! The lack of free wi-fi was unbelievable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Nairobi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed the nights of 5 and 6 November 2012 and paid A$128 in total for two people in a private twin room with a bunk bed. Bathrooms shared. Towels not provided. Whilst the room was a cube without windows and a limited air supply, Britannia on William served its purpose as a place to sleep in central Perth. Shops, bars, restaurants and ATMs are within a few minutes’ walk. Staff were helpful with local information. Internet available on site for A$2 for 30 minutes. Recommended as a cheap place to sleep, shower and leave luggage, but nothing more.

Room Tip: Avoid room 10.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed in this hostel for one night in a double room. The room resembled a prison cell, was very basic and felt cramped. The kitchen wasn't very clean. It's just a very basic city hostel. The location is good though and there are some good, cheap asian restaurants in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed here after moving from the dreadful Coolibah lodge just up the road. It's a vibrant, busy hostel which somewhat weirdly looks quiet from the outside.

The staff are friendly and accomodating, despite it being very busy there so give them credit for that.

When I stayed there, the weather in Perth was terrible, and for some bizarre reason the gusting, blustery wind was actually encouraged to whip through the hostel. This was most apparent near the mens bathroom, Given the cold temperature outside it was not conducive to a warming, cosy atmosphere. The rooms themselves were standard backpacker lodge fare, small, no room for storage although not unclean, at least the 4 bed dorm I was in.

Also, I was unlucky enough to be in a room opposite the communal dining/recreation room and it was constantly noisy, Thankfully I am not a light sleeper but if you were up early consistently there is no way you could stay here long term,

Internet here is $2 for half hour which goes by the minute, so you can log back on as and when you like as opposed to the global gossip scam operating in most other hostels.

Price was reasonable for the area and how busy it is, i was told I was lucky to get a room without prior booking.

,All in all, I've stayed in worse.

Room Tip: If possible avoid the rooms opposite the kitchen.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Winterthur, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

In June 2012 my girlfriend and I spent one night in a double room. It was the beginning of our Australia trip and a bad start.

We arrived at 10am but check-in is at noon, so we locked our luggage and went checking out Perth CBD. So far the foreign receptionists were very friendly and helpful. At 12.00h we came back and could go to our double room...but unfortunately the room still was very dirty.
I immediately went back to reception to ask if they could clean our room after we changed our clothes in order not to waste more time and go for sightseeing. We agreed at the reception that I will come back and tell them when the room is ready to get cleaned.
By the time I got back to the room, the Chinese owner of the hostel was already in my room and I kindly asked her if we could quickly change our clothes before she starts cleaning the room. I have absolutely no clue why she then started screaming at me...because we agreed I will tell the reception when the room was ready to get cleaned. Anyway, the Chinese lady was yelling at me she wants to clean the room now. I then asked her to calm down and not to yell at me, she then screamed that she was the owner of this hostel and has the right to scream at me. A bit perplex I told her that I am a hostel guest and asked her again why she would scream at me. She then answered: "Because your face is funny!" and left.
At night as we got back to the hostel room, we found our room still very dirty with used Q-Tips on the floor. The linen got changed but were full with hair. Furthermore the shared facilities were very dirty, eventhough the bathroom was relatively new and modern.

The location of this hostel in Northbridge and only a stone throw away from Central Station is ideal, if only the friendliness of the owner and the cleanliness was a bit better this hostel would get good rates.

Btw this was the only bad hostel experience in Australia while travelling for nearly 3 months. So there is hope you'll find a better hostel in Perth than Britannia on William. :-)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bentota, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

we stayed for 2 nights and it' isn't so bad. there are very confortable blanket and the bed is very soft.
the kitchen and bathroom are very cleaned and pretty big.
in 10 mins you can be in the city, it's in chinatown and close to some good restourant and club for backpackers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Britannia on William Backpackers? Share your experiences!