“Refund Please!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Billabong Backpackers Resort

You added Billabong Backpackers Resort to your Saves list
Billabong Backpackers Resort
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   381 Beaufort St, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (Perth CBD)   |
Ranked #25 of 56 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Dublin, Ireland
“Refund Please!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

i arrived at Billabong about 3 hours ago...Wed 24th Sept 2008. i booked after reading some good reviews...christ were they wrong!! i got to my Tiny 4 bed room it was filthy and i was to share with 3 guys...which i wouldn't generally have a problem with for a backpackers if they were tidy and the place didn't reek!!! and obviously because of the smell someone left the balcony door open so when i went for a shower after a 20hr flight the place was covered in bugs and cockroaches!!!
i asked to be moved but was told they were fully booked so i got a refund instead but sadly i'm goin to have to stay tonight....can't see me getting much rest!!! Avoid at all costs!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Lymm, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

I was recommended this hostel 'resort' by the travel agent I booked my trip tp Australia with, and I wish I had done some research of my own. The place is really tired and needs a good revamp. But problems with the physical building were the least of my worries after 5 nights here! It was noisy every single night - including one night when a 20 strong group of lads decided to celebrate their football team's win with some rousing songs at 3.15am. And despite a 24 hour reception, none of the staff were willing to do anything about it. Which brings me on to the second problem - the staff were extremely rude and unhelpful. When I got to the airport I rang the hostel and was told that the free shuttle bus 'wasn't working', and that I should get a taxi. When I arrived at the hostel I wasn't told where anything was, or given any plates or cutlery. Other travellers I met had tales of rudeness, including one who, on finding someone else in her bed one night, was told to 'sleep on the floor'. Don't stay here, there's far better options in Perth.

• Liked — Clean-ish rooms
  • Disliked — Rude staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2007

Quite a large backpackers. Cleanliness not great though throughout the place. Bathroom, balcony, pool area - stay well away. Atmosphere was good though. Great location to Perth city centre, bottle shops and places to eat. I do believe this is one of the better backpackers in Perth close to the city, so pick wisely!!!

• Liked — Atmosphere!
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

Booked this as the free airport pick up made the overall package price very competitive. However, when we rang from the airport we were given an off pat “get a taxi”. On arrival the reception staff said they were unable to pick up when they are busy. As he then continued they were always busy, we took it that a airport pick up was a rare event. Indeed while we where there we never saw or heard of anyone getting an airport pick up or drop off. When we asked about a drop off we were advised to get a taxi again. So our taxis cost us $60. Don’t book this place if you’re counting on airport transportation, it is very unlikely to happen.
We had booked a twin bed room and were put in a room with two double bunk beds. The bathroom was a bit dirty and grotty.
Three nights in our 5 night stay we were woken up by noisy people returning after 1 a.m., on one occasion three times.
The kitchen was pretty good, spacious with plenty of cooking facilities and ample fridge space.
The pool area tables were usually dirty, whatever time of day you used them.
The food available in the small café and vending machines were competitively priced. The location of the resort was poor, a good 15 minute walk from the Central Business District. Quite a task bringing back your water and shopping in 42 degree heat.

• Liked — Good sized kitchen
  • Disliked — Very unhelpful staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2006

I would never recommend this hostel to anyone! As it was described as a bright and friendly hostel in a popular travel guide for Perth, my boyfriend and I checked in for two nights.

When we arrived we were dealt with by abrupt staff to say the least. We had booked a six bed dorm and when we got to the room we were horrified. The room was unacceptably dirty and had not been cleaned or checked by hostel staff in a very long time. The people already in there had obviously been there for a very long time and did not care about hygine.The bathroom was dirty and the security was terrible.

When we asked whether we could change rooms the staff said that it was not possible for that evening and offered no further help. Therefore we checked straight out of the hostel and got our money refunded.

I have stayed in hundreds of hostels whilst traveling and no hostel has ever been so bad that I have had to check out that same day........apart from this one.

I would not waste my time here as the 26 dollars you will pay for staying in a dorm, will seriously not be worth it.

• Liked — It had internet access
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go here
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Billabong Backpackers Resort? Share your experiences!