“Wouldn't stay again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Beatty Lodge

You added Beatty Lodge to your Saves list
Beatty Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   235 Vincent Street | West Perth, Perth, Western Australia 6005, Australia   |
Ranked #8 of 53 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Great Western, Australia
“Wouldn't stay again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The state of my room was absolutely deplorable (private room), I almost cried every time I walked in. I didn't have particularly high expectations only having paid 55 AUD per night, but my room fell way short. (I was in room 41, but the dorm rooms seemed to be in somewhat nicer condition.)
The bathrooms and showers were vile, obviously not cleaned too thoroughly and regularly.
Some nights were particularly noisy due to fellow guests, but I guess there's not much that can be done about that.
Location is OK, not too far from the action, but not too close either.
The only positive was the staff, they were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Beatty Lodge has much to recommend it. It's in a convenient but quiet location, the single, twin and double rooms are much cheaper compared to almost anywhere else in Perth. The laundry is big and there's room to hang your clothes. The pool is small but clean. When I stayed the water was clear, not like some hostels I've been to where they don't know how to maintain the chemicals. The room I got was a twin. It was big and had TV, cupboards, desks, shelves and beds. There were spring mattresses. Sheets were clean. The kitchen was formerly a commercial kitchen. It has fantastic stoves with ovens (most hostels I've been in do not have ovens), and commercial grade saucepans and frying pans. While the saucepans are mostly fine, the frying pans are not. The hostel had not supplied proper scourers and so the frying pans have become very dirty over time. Some of the saucepans appeared to be heading the same way. There were no kitchen knives or graters. This made preparing food challenging. I learned to scrub all surfaces down before preparing any food or eating any food since fellow guests' cleanliness cannot be relied on. The reviews I've read suggested that this would not be a noisy hostel, however I guess that depends on your fellow guests. My fellow guests were of mixed ages and I think probably most of them were quite OK. However, there was a group of 10-20 English yobbos who treated the kitchen/dining area as if it belonged to them. The TV was permanently on MTV or English football and they were often noisy and up late and didn't clean up after themselves in the kitchen or the bathroom. I felt sorry for the cleaners. I got the impression that the other guests went to their rooms and tried to forget about them. Mostly this was possible, sometimes they were loud into the night and into the corridors. Overall, like any place, it really depends on who else is staying there. Depending on availability I'd suggest staying one or two nights before committing to longer periods so you can get a feel for your fellow guests before committing to a longer stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the building. The ones at the back near the carpark get a lot of nois...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights here, the moment we walked into the room I kicked my flip flops off to stand on a grape stalk with a Rotten grape hanging from it! Immediately after my eyes were drawn to the navy blue sheets which have what looks to be semen stains smeared over them, not to mention the hairs. absolutely vile.
Ok so you also need a deposit for any cutlery or crockery that you need to use should you risk cooking in the disgusting unfriendly kitchen.
The night before we checked out we spoke to reception to ask about an early morning taxi to the bus station- there was no mention to us about the reception not openening until 8am so when we check out we were unable to collect our extortionate 20 dollar key deposit! When we called after 8 to see if we could have the money wired through we were told that nothing could be done and that we should have collected the deposited the night before! To summarise:
Unhelpful staff
Filthy
Rubbish location
Unfriendly vibe
Worst hostel I've stayed in(bare in mind I have traveled through a lot of Asia inc India)

• Stayed February 2013
Vila Nova de Famalicao, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

By far the most decent, suitable and nicest Hostel I have stayed in Australia, from 2010-2012 coming back several times when visiting friends in Perth. I have always bing treated really well, a welcoming smile as soon as you walk in the door by their friendly and knowledgable staff. The facilities are clearly being upgraded as the front of the building is deferent from the one back in 2010, the 4-6 bed dorms and twin rooms that I have shared with mates in the past 2 years are arguably the best that I've stayed, large kitchen and fridges,(unfortunately some travellers need to take their mother with them to do the dishes), big dinning room with plasma tv/foxtel, and a swimming pool which in summer is refreshing, clean toilets/bathrooms, reasonably close to the CBD, however, there is the 15 Bus(free) in Newcastle street around 5 minutes walking from the hostel, very close to Leederville with shops, restaurants and caffe/bars, nice place.
Now, if you are looking to party, Beatty Lodge is definitely not the place to go.
If you are visiting Perth, I will recommend Beatty as an option for accommodation.

Room Tip: If you are on a budget, the 4-6 dorms are a good choice. A/C in the ones I've stayed.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Hereford, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed here for a fortnight during 2010/11 Ashes. Nice hostel, stayed in a twin room which had a TV and plenty of space for the price. The fridge outside each corridor perfect for storing cheap wine or food without having to go all the way to the large communal kitchen area. Small, but refreshing pool in the courtyard a nice spot to chill out. Clean showers and toilets, just an all-round decent hostel. A tip for internet use – go to the library at the top of the road for free wi-fi!

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I'm really surprised to read so many bad reviews about this hostel, probably backpackers now are used to travel staying in 5 stars hotels...

Beatty Lodge is definitely the best hostel i've ever been in Australia. I travelled all around Australia between 2008 and 2010. In 2 years I've been in more than 20 different hostels, in Cairns, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Byron, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Darwin, Broome, Albany, and Perth. I've been the first time in Beatty Lodge in 2010. I stayed in 2012 too, and I will stay in the future, whenever I'll be in Perth again.

Beatty Lodge is the cleanest, largest, and most comfortable hostel in Oz by far.
I've always slept in dormitories and, in Beatty Lodge, you get a very spacious 6 bed dorm. In Sydney I was staying in a 8 bed dorm, which was 1/3 of Beatty's 6 bed dorm.
When I was there in 2010, they opened a huge kitchen, which i found renewed in 2012. Actually I saw it completely renewed (reception, facade, bathrooms, beds).
Most of the staff working there in 2010 are still working now and they are the nicest and most helpful staff I've ever met in hostels and hotels all around the world.

The hostel is away from Northbridge (the war zone for drunken, noise, and fights) in a residential area near a nice centre called Leederville, with pubs, restaurant, and shops.

Seriously, all those bad reviews are quite odd and don't reflect the real good quality of this hostel. I would suggest to all those poor reviewers to refrain from leaving those extreme bad reviews and marks, because they just ruin the benefit of Tripadvisor to its users.

cheers
Fabio

Room Tip: I don't have particular problems in sleeping. So I don't mind noise or lights. One side is...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Positives:
Single room was clean and had digital tv.
Staff were friendly and very helpful.
Large laundry room and kitchen.
Pool was a real bonus.
Free parking.
Negatives:
Wifi was very expensive at $10, I would expect it to be free.
Outdoor seating area was full of smokers and a bit small for the size of the hostel.
Bedroom doors could close a bit quieter.

The positives outway the negatives.

Best of the Perth hostels.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Beatty Lodge? Share your experiences!