“No thanks” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Beatty Lodge

You added Beatty Lodge to your Saves list
Beatty Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   235 Vincent Street | West Perth, Perth, Western Australia 6005, Australia   |
Ranked #9 of 56 Specialty Lodging in Perth
Sydney
“No thanks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This is a backpacker place. Nothing like a motel or guesthouse.
I stayed in a private room in the "superior" part of the place. The linen was disgusting. It has a very plastic feeling and looked filthy. I was also showed the basic private rooms, which were even worse.
I would only stay here if you are on a very, very tight budget, and bring my own linen..

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

I stayed at Beaty lodge for 8 weeks in june whilst i was working in perth.I didnt relize Beaty lodge wasnt in the center of the city,although once i arrived i was aformed of the free bus that takes you to the city center.(bus # 15 )
The staff were great very friendly and helpful.i didnt have trouble with any noise although i was in the vip room.Compared to other hostels i have stayed in perth Beaty lodge had the best value for money.One disapointing aspect at Beaty lodge was the lack of kitchen utensils as sometimes these were limited when i cooked dinner during the busy meal time period.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

The worst hostel i ever stayed in. I arrived on a wednesday morning at 7am an got booked in to a single room. the room was disgusting. there was nose snots rubbed on the wall an even on the blanket. obviously they werent washed. The tv in the room at 2 channels. Then later on that night there was people partyin til about 4am an i couldn get any sleep. The following sunday a man overdosed on wat was suspected as herion an from wat i was told he was still let stay in the hostel for another week. Severe lack of discipline in that place. The manager in there was also very ignorant an didnt follow up on complaints. the other staff were very friendly an helpful. the only positive i could think to write. I wouldn stay in there again if i was payed too.

Room Tip: Dont stay there
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I have stayed in Beatty Lodge on several occasions now and would recommend this hostel to anyone, stranger, friend or family.
Since the first time I stayed they have improved the entrance-lobby-thing-area. A refurb and extra sofas so you can relax while on the wifi.
The kitchen does leave something to be desired, the communal fridges are still the one place your belongings won't be safe, perhaps a camera in the kitchen would help. There is a lack of equipment in the kitchen in regards to the cooking utensils and pans.
The rooms are good, I haven't had any issues getting bitten by anything and haven't seen anyone with issues either. The showers and bathrooms are acceptable for cleanliness, after all, it is a hostel and not a hotel. If you wanted the Ritz, go stay there.
I love the location. It's out of the city enough for it to be quiter than the others around town but it just 5 mins walk to Leederville, which has several bars and a couple of clubs as well as a supermarket, cafes, laundro-mat, post office and several boutiques. The local suburb also has a train station 5 mins from the hostel which takes you in to the city which most people don't seem to realise.
The rooms are better than in some of the other hostels in Perth I've stayed at, reasonably sized, the carpets are really worn and although the sheets are changed, the actual beds and rooms don't seem to get cleaned as much as possibly should do.
I am surprised to see some bad reviews of the staff at Beatty Lodge but I have found them to be friendly, helpful and count them as some of the better friends I have met on my travels.
Good points - location, staff
Negative/Improvements needed (hopefully since the other reviews have been read mine might be as well) - camera or other security system in kitchen, working tvs in all rooms (general refurb of rooms), more equipment in kitchen.
Overall, very good hostel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I stayed at Beatty lodge for one night with a few friends, after this one night we couldn't wait to get out of the place. The kitchen was shocking! I have never seen something so unhygienic in my life. Our room was really hot, my friend had a blood stain on her sheet, one friend had multiple pieces of gum stuck to the top of the bunk bed and worst of all someone had picked their nose and wiped you know what all over the wall...it was shocking we slept on our towels and covered ourselves so we didnt touch any of the bed, we also didn't use any of the blankets. I work at a dog kennel, the blankets we supply to the dogs at work are far better than those supplied at Beatty lodge! Another shocking part was the fact that at 5am some random opened our door, oh and I got quite a shock when a male cleaner walked into the female toilets. Want some advice? NEVER STAY AT BEATTY LODGE, alright bye I'm gonna go call the health inspector.

• Stayed April 2011
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

We booked for 3 nights and 5 minutes after arriving we booked somewhere else. We stayed the one night. we didnt use the kitchen or showers because of the dirtyness. the grease running down the grease traps above the stove was disgusting. the kitchen looked like something out of a war camp with an old broken dishwasher buckled up. there were no utensils, plates, anything in the kitchens. You have to get these from reception. I was with my adult brother and father and we were all appalled at the condition of the place. People partying till late in the morning. No air con, just a very noisy fan that doesnt help to cool down the room. We have stayed in backpackers on our travels and this was by far the worst place.
There was a guy smoking something lying down by the reception door when we came back, who looked like a regular and you could smell weed when outside.
We were told no sleeping bags in the room because of bed bugs, but we have been bitten since staying there.
I do not recommend this place to anyone. I wouldnt be surprised if it gets shut down by the health department.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Ashford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

This was the first hostel we booked into for our 3 month stay touring Australia, and we couldn't have picked a worse place to start our Oz experience (only chose this because of a lack of availability elsewhere and was cheap for a twin room after arriving from a long flight). As soon as we pulled up outside, we noticed it was a very large hostel, and a group of drunks hanging around the entrance and in reception, some no doubt on something!! The reception were very casual, like it was always like this, checking us in hassle-free. We booked a twin room, which was comfortable enough, decent size, with a single bed each, TV and table. The kitchen was pretty foul, guests failed to wash up their dirty cooking utensils every night, leaving the sinks full of used equipment. Noticed ants crawling around the kitchen surfaces!! Location was very remote, not very close to shops, and definitely nowhere near the town centre. Bus stops were pretty close though which was handy. Now don't get me wrong, we enjoy a night out and a few drinks as much as the next, but this place was BAD!! In the evenings, the hostel was very noisy (despite notices around the hostel informing everyone of quiet time after 11pm) ...the bedroom walls were very thin, could hear people walking along and even just sitting around drinking in the corridor...even got woken up in the early hours by 4 guys playing their TV at high volume next door!! Would have contacted reception, but turns out they close at 11pm and no-one around to contact in the middle of night to deal with these situations...so just took it upon ourselves to knock on next door and give them a firm, grumpy talking to at "3am" (lucky me and my brother are both 6ft3 so can look pretty intimidating if we need to!). Overall, nothing positive to say about this place, lucky was only there 3 nights.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Beatty Lodge? Share your experiences!