“Ok, but not 5 star” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Duxton Hotel

You added Duxton Hotel to your Saves list
Duxton Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 St George's Terrace, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia   |
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Adelaide, Australia
“Ok, but not 5 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed in November 2012.
Our room on the 8th floor was ok, but the en-suite was a nightmare. We informed the Hotel of a toilet that " ran ' all night, leaking vanity tap, and the shower was appalling. Cold, or blistering hot...
We were assured that " this would be looked into", upon leaving 4 days later it still wasnt fixed.

Prob should have complained a bit " louder", but the hotel was getting ready for the " Hillary Clinton Visit", so prob werent that interested in ordinary people like us!

We dont think we would return, as there is a lot of choice in Perth now, and didnt find some of the Reception staff overly helpful, which is a shame, as its in a good location, and the Foyer is lovely.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Rosalee_12,

I appreciate your review and I apologise for inconvenience cause to you during your stay. I would encourage you that the water issues have been resolved and the minor room faults have also been addressed.
I was encouraged that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and foyer ambience. We have also now completed the hotel refurbishment program and do hope that we have the opportunity to showcase our changes in the future.

Kind Regards

Bruce. G Doig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Great Western, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Duxton Hotel for 3 nights as a stopover on our way home. We booked a King room and found it to be extremely comfortable, especially the king size bed. Everything in the room was 5 star and if I had to put a negative I'd say the bathroom lacked the 5 star feel. Great Lobby bar and the Fire Water Grille restaurant was fantastic whether breakfast, lunch or dinner. The staff were exceptional and very assisting when required.
As for location you won't find better, whether your a local or new to Perth easy access to all of Perth has to offer.

Room Tip: You must ask for a King room you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tony W,

I was glad to read that your stay was extremely comfortable and that you enjoyed the Firewater Grille. We are very proud of our achievements with this wonderful restaurant and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Took the kids for a birthday treat weekend. It was early April, so weather not very warm, but they were able to swim in the rooftop outside pool and spa area which was nice and warm. The furniture by the pool area is lovely and comfortable, sofas etc. The hotel room is nothing special, but for us having the kids happy playing in the pool meant we could relax, which was great. We had breakfast at the buffet with a number of other family members for a birthday breakfast, it was overpriced for sure, but had a decent range of foods, and comfortable restaurant surroundings. We usually go to the Crowne complex for Perth getaways but with the outrageous prices they now charge we will now go to the Duxton instead. They do require a 300 dollar deposit on credit card at checkin which is very high, so be aware of this. Also room service prices are exorbitant, but so are all others in Perth. For the Perth market, this is the best value for a four or five star hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear JCol75,

I enjoyed your review and glad that the children enjoyed the hotels pool deck and that you had time to relax. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the Firewater Grille and you have decided to use the Hotels restaurant in the future.
It is with appreciation that you have endorsed the hotel as the best value within the 4 to 5 star hotels.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I booked into the restaurant on Wednesday night for a romantic meal. It wasn't busy but the service was very average for a hotel of this quality. I had to send my steak back as it was not cooked medium rare and the table next to us was left uncleared the entire time we were there. Not a 5 star experience.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Itwhizz,

It is with concern that I read your remarks on the restaurant and I have shared your review with our Teams. I apologise that our service has not been to our usual high standard and the team has been fully briefed to ensure that the service remains vigilant at all times.
The reviews for the Firewater Grille have been outstanding to date thus it is our regret that you have not experienced the normal high level of service.
I do hope that we have to opportunity to showcase our restaurant in the future.

Sincerely

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Duxton for 4 nights over the weekend, with a mixture of business engagements on Friday and Monday so we could enjoy our first stay in Perth over the weekend.
We stayed on the 9th Floor in a Deluxe King room. (I think).
The entrance and lobby was quite impressive and held great promise that we had chosen well in going a bit more premium for our first Perth experience, and the staff all seemed very courteous and professional as you would expect from a 5 star hotel.
Our first sight on exiting the lift on our floor however was a very large section of wallpaper peeling away from the wall, literally hanging out into the hallway. The room was average and not really to our taste, but OK. The grouting in the shower tiles had a bit of mould. The walls were really thin - we could hear normal level conversations in the rooms next to us.
We used the gym and pool facilities which were deserted and unstaffed, even the TV in the gym was turned off, on a Saturday morning at 9am! obviously not a big fitness fanatic hotel.
Breakfast however almost made up for all of these small gripes - it was fabulous - we had the buffet included and ordered fresh poached eggs and barista latte's were provided at no extra cost. Big tick! Also the very helpful concierge who managed to book us a table at a lovely restaurant on Mothers Day should be commended.
I think I would try somewhere else next time in Perth, there were no major problems here and I wouldn't say 'avoid it' but it certainly didn't blow us away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Natsplash,

Your comments on the Duxton Team is very pleasing and I will ensure that it is relayed to all staff. We pride ourselves on the genuine service that the team provides. Currently we are replacing all wall paper throughout the hotel and my apologises that the section of paper has been temporarily missed.
The gym and pool are unmanned areas although we provide telephone communication and duress alarms in all areas, Saturday mornings historical are very quiet in the areas you have mentioned.
The Firewater Grille is performing with excellence with magic and I will also ensure that the team is copied in on your comments of praise and satisfaction.

Kind Regards

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a typical 5 star hotel in a good location. Staff were all pleasant and helpful, room service food was good and very generous portions. The pool area was lovely - we didn't find the spa hot enough but that's perhaps just personal preference. Rooms are a good size, bathrooms nice but mould in the grout, some are renovated, some not apparently.

The downside. We stayed for a week. When we checked in and entered our room I immediately ascertained it had had a smoker in it - something I find quite repulsive. I tried to stick it out but the next morning asked to change rooms. The second room didn't smell as the first one did BUT a couple of days later I could smell smoke wafting in from the corridor (this was on a different floor to the first room).

I called reception who said they would investigate. They called back a little while later and confirmed they could indeed smell smoke but couldn't locate it's origin. Personally I would have knocked on every door and used my nose but they are obviously not prepared to go that far.

That night I returned from dinner out and low and behold there was an in-room dining tray placed outside a room - with an empty packet of cigarettes on it?!?! I again called reception, giving them the room number and they said they would deal with it.

The Duxton claims to be a smoke free hotel but clearly it isn't. We could not find, in either rooms, a notice about the smoking policy along with a penalty charge for smoking, something you do see in other hotels. I wouldn't stay there again purely for this reason and wouldn't recommend it to people who don't like the smell of cigarettes. Next time we'll try to stay in a nice B&B or boutique hotel with windows.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TheWallmaniser,

I appreciate your valuable time to advise us of your recent stay. Your comments are valued and gives us the opportunity to strengthen our service standards. We are 100% non smoking hotel and the penalty for guests non complaince to this policy is $300.00 fee. This deterant is not always adhered to by some guests and the cleaning issues are difficult at times especially in a short space of time when high occupancies are evident.
As you have mentioned that it is difficult to knock on every door due to sleeping aircrew and other Do Not Disturbed guests. On departure and housekeeping collects evidence the guest is on charged to $300.00 penalty.
I have followed through on the in room signage and we have ensured that all rooms have the relevant notifcation.
I appreciate your sincere concern and thank you once again for bring these issues to my attention for the necessary corective action.

Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed just one night and attended a show at the Concert Hall next door which was very convenient. The package included valet parking and breakfast for a reasonable price. The room was spacious and well appointed, staff friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear One Chop,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay. I am extremely glad that our team and the Hotel facilities were up to your expectations and I will ensure that the Team are congratulated for their service commitment.

Sincerely

Bruce G. Doig

Been to Duxton Hotel? Share your experiences!