“Okay, but not 5 star” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Duxton Hotel

You added Duxton Hotel to your Saves list
Duxton Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 St George's Terrace, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia   |
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Toronto, ON
“Okay, but not 5 star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed at the Duxton last week for 4 nights. The overall experience was fine, but in no way, could I say that this is a 5 star hotel. While the staff were friendly, and the concierge(s) were helpful, the room was nothing extraordinary. Clean, yes. Functional and comfortable, yes. Luxurious, no. The Wifi, while free, was unreliable to the point of being frustrating to use. It does have a guest laundry, which is free and much appreciated (we had been travelling for over 2 weeks by the time we reached Perth). This hotel is well-located, and there is nothing wrong with it, but if it claims to be 5 star, it needs to step up the luxury factor in the guest rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear sandalsnosox,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and services. We are adding to some luxurious touchs in the rooms currently to improve the overall in room comfort, this project is to be completed within 6-8 weeks.
I appreciate your positive reviews and I ensure all comments are recieved in a constructive and positive manner. I also thank you for selecting to hotel for your recent stay.

Kind Regards

Bruce G. Doig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Perth Western Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have stayed may times in the past at the Duxton using the Club Rooms and have found them to be great. Just went back for a special occasion and was sorry I did the room even though they say have been upgraded the have no style, but not one you would want to stay in long. We had a party going on in the next room they must have been throwing furniture around the noise was terrible, it took two calls to the reception to get someone to come up and sort it our, the noise still went on for a hour after that, not good. The restaurant was lovely the the club lounge excellent and I would go to the restaurant again, but I will never stay at this Hotel again.
Why cant we have hotel in Perth that have some style, something special I would soon spend the money and go and stay at the Shanghai La in Singapore that stay in Perth again.
Very disapointed

Room Tip: No room I could not recommend one
Dear Help1961,

In reply to your review, I appreciate your review on the Club level rooms and that you did not enjoy the refurbished standard, in all due respect are Club rooms are very well recieved by all our guests and extremely comfortable and large compared to our competitors.
I although value our guests personal opinon I am disappointed with your review. In reference to your appreciation of the of our Club lounge and Firewater Grille experiences, thank you.

We are continuing with improves our hotel experiences for all our guests and we are looking forward to completing our refurbishment projects by November 2013. Thank you once again for your remarks and I take all feedback on a positive note and take the necessary action to improve the hotel wherever necessary

Regards

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We were booked in for 3 nights. First two was ok, and the breakfast decent. The bathroom could do with a makeover.
My gripe was with the last night when we had a fire alarm waking us up at midnight ordering us to evacuate down 11 floors of stairs, barefoot with young kids on tow. No one in reception knew what was going on. There was no safety plan procedure nothing. There even was a wedding party still blaring ahead in the ballroom, no fire drill. Eventually after half an hour it was announced as faulty. Then at 3am the same thing! Really??
We had to get up at 5am to catch a flight. Felt like we never slept and not even an apology or compensation in the form of a free coffee. I wont be staying there again.

• Stayed April 2013
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Bottomfeeders,

In response to your review I have personally send an extensive email to you with a full explaination of why this very unusual incident happened.
I have recieved your response and appreciate your understanding in this matter.
Our apologies for the inconvenience caused to you and your family and we have corrected all faults pertaining to this electrical breakdown.

Sincerely

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

It has been a while since I have stayed here last, and rooms are much nicer now. Hotel itself is quite nice, and I would definitely choose it again over other places in Perth. Rooms are nice, comfortable and clean. Service has been great, and food is very nice also.

Room Tip: Ask for the one not facing main street, as it does get quite loud.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear lil_Ruski,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review on the Hotel and the service that you recieved. I am very pleased that our team have provided the excellence in service that we are recognised for.
We appreciate your valued custom.

Kind Regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights last weekend en route from Adelaide to London and I can honestly say that this is now on of my favourite hotels , the rooms were lovely and clean , loved the limited edition prints on the walls ! The service from all the staff was friendly and efficient , particularly the Portuguese chap on the reception desk, who was most polite and helpful but best of all the Firewater Grill was the tops , I had fish , catch of the day,and a fabulous crepe ! We only ventured into the restaurant on the last night of our stay but wish we had gone there more often. We loved Perth and the Duxton and definitely will return. Please don't change a thing!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Mr. Cott,

I am extremly pleased that your stay was a wonderful experience and we are extremely proud of our new addition The Firewater Grille. I have commended our Team members on their excellence in service and I will ensure that all team member recieve a copy of your review.

I appreciate your review and I am glad that all the dedication and training commitments is rewarding our guests with great results.
Thank you for selecting the Duxton Hotel and we will not be changing anything but only improving what we have inplace already. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best Regards

Margaret River, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Just had a weekend at the duxton and couldn't be more impressed, the service was second to none and the rooms were very sizable and very comfortable. Had evening meal at the in house restaurant The Flame Grille and that was a highlight for me. Try the fillet mingon with tiger prawns and you will walk a happy person. The wine list was very impressive and for the first time it really did highlight local Margaret River wines which i thought was fantastic, treated myself to a very expensive chardonay, very nice. Easy walk into town, left the car behind and had a relaxing weekend. It was a tad expensive for the rooms I thought, maybe a little less would be more respectable but overall brilliant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Tony B,

It was a delight to read your review and I am so thrilled that you had a brillant weekend. We are very proud of Perth's latest dining experience The Firewater Grille.
I will ensure that all the Team recieve the commendation they deserve.

Many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed here for one night over a weekend. The lobby is very nice - lighting is lovely however the room was not as nice. The bathroom in particular had mouldy tiles and the bathroom door had water damage which is not what I would expect from a 5 star hotel.

The beds were very comfortable and I had a very good night sleep - no noise. The location was good - short walk to the convention centre as we were attending a concert that night.

Breakfast was very average - particularly the hot food although the pastries were nice.

Overall I have stayed in much nicer 5 star hotels in Perth which I prefer to the Duxton.

• Stayed April 2013
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Trish O,

Thank you for your review I appreciate your positive and constructive remarks. I am ensuring that the cleanliness and bathroom door is addressed immediately to ensure the correct standard .
I am pleased that you were very comfortable and that the location was a bonus.
Thankyou for your patronage and I will ensure improvement immediately.

Kind regards

Bruce G. Doig

Been to Duxton Hotel? Share your experiences!