“Great stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Duxton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Duxton Hotel to your Saves list
Duxton Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 St George's Terrace, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia   |
Ranked #14 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Australia
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Perth isn't renowned for brilliant business hotels however the Duxton was much nicer than I remembered it this time around.

I was upgraded to a spa room which offered a nice change as the bathroom wasn't directly adjacent the bedroom, rather down a passageway with a separate dressing room. Lots of ammenities and clean, good quality towels. The rooms are relatively small (I think this used to be the old Tax office....) but well appointed and maintained. Location is pretty central, breakfast arrived on time as requested (super early in the morning) and the service was friendly and professional. I thought it was funny that I requested a banana and they didn't have one.

It was a short business stay and a pleasant one at that. I'd definitely rebook at the Duxton.
There are some renovations going on in the hotel that should be noted, however I would anticipate they are for a finite period.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Missjane06,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I welcome your positive remarks about the hotel and our teams service standards. It is always a pleasant to have the opportunity to share positive feedback with the Team. We appreciate you selecting the Duxton Hotel Perth.

In appreciation

Bruce Doig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Bunbury, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I was lucky enough to get a good deal with the "Make a Difference WA Getaway Package" to be able to stay at such a lovely hotel and help a worthy cause at the same time. Breakfast and a nice bottle of wine included in the price.
We have stayed in a lot of Hotels in Perth and The Duxton is by far one of the best if not the best hotel of Perth.
Speedy and Polite reception staff when booking in. $300 bond for using my debit card was a little bit of a shock.
Room was clean, tidy and comfortable. Swimming Pool could be a little crowed at times, but nice to cool down.
$36 for a full buffet breakfast, a little pricey, but about the same at other hotels in Perth.
Valet Parking $40

Dome Diagonaly across the road, Convenience Store across the road. ATM (ANZ) across the road. Bus Stops all along the street.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear shy66,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel we appreciate the positive feedback. Our make a difference Package is extremely popular and of cause great value. Unfortunately we do have to take a $300 deposit as standard guarantee with all debit card and cash bookings. I do appreciate your understanding in this matter.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and maybe experience Perth latest dining experience Firewater Grille.

Kind Regards

Bruce G Doig
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We are enjoying this establishment having flown acreoss the country to see Dame Edna in her farewell tour. The hotel is convenient, quiet and very comfortable. Staff are attentive and the Club room excellent. We did have a little trouble with the hot water not working which took a little straightening out but was eventually fixed. Would come again

Room Tip: Club room worth the extra
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Henryadams1,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay, I appreciate your praise of the service and facilities. I will ensure that the team is congratulated for their efforts. The hot water system is currently under refurbishment and will correct the faults that we have been experiencing. Thank you for your support and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Duxton Hotel very soon.

Best Regards

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have just spent a lovely night at the hotel in a Club King Room to watch the fireworks. I tried via the phone and email over the last couple of weeks to get a river view room but there were none available. I paid a premium price I feel, $484, for a very lovely, large room but not a great view. I had access to the Club Lounge so was able to watch the fireworks and it was all very lovely. Whilst there I spoke to people who had the room opposite me, so with the added bonus of a river view. They left at 8pm to go to their room to watch the fireworks from there. Their cost for that better room, $404!!
I guess it is supply and demand but surely there should be a waitlist or similar, to get a cancellation for your preferred room?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear kathleen4962,

Thank you for your feedback on the variation on price, yet this will occur due to demand and supply just like airline bookings.
I appreciate your feedback also on the waitlist and I will follow this up with our reservation team.

Wishing you all the very best for 2013.

Regards

Bruce G Doig
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights for our "honeymoon" following our Perth wedding - we live in Queensland and wanted to stay close to family in WA but still spoil ourselves. It has a convenient location - walking distance from the city center but not smack bang in the middle of the action. Dome cafe across the road is also very nice and convenient if you want a meal or coffee close by without dining in the hotel.

As you would expect from the Duxton, the staff were fantastic and the hotel itself was beautiful. Even with renovations in the lobby it still managed to be picturesque. We loved our room, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was very stylish. We ordered room service a few times, which was hit-and-miss. The ceasar salad and angus beef burger were average, but the chicken sandwich was the best I have ever had! Breakfast buffet was very good with quite a range.

The thing that really stood out for us was the staff. There were very friendly, always with a smile on their face and willing to help, but not at all pushy or intrusive. Very well done to the staff and management. One of the best hotels we have ever stayed in and definitely recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kazelberry,

Congratulations on you wedding and thankyou for selecting The Duxton Hotel for your honeymoon. I appreciate your sincere comments on the hotel and its facilities as well as the outstanding service from all the team.
I have personally commended the team on their personal efforts. Once again thankyou very much and we wish you both all success and happiness in you new life together.

Sincerely

Bruce G. Doig
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This lovely hotel is in such a brilliant location. Really geared up when checking in and out at unusual times. I had a medical problem while staying on a business trip where I had a nasty bite to my leg and the hotel staff were so helpful. Since I had to spend a day resting I was upgraded to a suite for my comfort and have to say that although my deluxe room was lovely, the suite was fantastic.
Staff were very helpful and caring.
Two small points - breakfast is very expensive for whats on offer. Dome across the street is fab.
Bar staff dont seem very happy at work!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear RonaG3105,
I was pleased to read your wonderful positive review on the Hotel and the attentiveness of our team members. I was made aware of your medical issue and I do hope that you are feeling a lot better. With the two small issues that you have also raised I have review these service issues and it has resulted in a positive outcome.
Thank you for selecting The Duxton Hotel Perth and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best wishes for 2013 from the Duxton Team

Regards

Bruce G. Doig
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I am here on a business trip.
1. Reception seem fairly responsive.
2. At times I have let the phone ring at room service for 3-5 minutes with no answer. 2 consecutive days, with different excuses. Finally got through on day 2. The man even repeated my order yet forgot the bucket of ice.
3. The wireless internet is somewhat slow but fairly stable. The wired internet does not work at all.
4. I asked for assistance with connecting to my company VPN. No one on site knows how to do this. Their service provider returned my "escalated" call after 14 hours. When I called them back, their system has hung up on me 5 times.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear George_Bro,

It is with regret that I read your review and I have taken the necessary action to resolve all the issues that you have raised, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that this has caused you.
I emphasis that I will resolve all these faults with immediate urgency.

Sincerely

Bruce Doig

Been to Duxton Hotel? Share your experiences!