“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Duxton Hotel

You added Duxton Hotel to your Saves list
Duxton Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 St George's Terrace, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia   |
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Dubai
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The location of the hotel is probably the best feature that it can offer. Not so faraway from the main city shopping area where you can get almost every thing. It's also located right next to the concert hall.
If you are a light sleeper, make sure you bring the ear plugs since the walls are so thin that you can hear almost every thing.
However, during my stay, I found the hotel staff very helpful and understanding. I asked them to change the room and they did it straight away. I was impressed as some other hotels they tend not to do this quickly.

Room Tip: Get a room that's not facing the street to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear wassika,

I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us and the positive comments that you have indicated about the Duxton Team.
Thank you your comments on TripAdvisor is appreciated.

Kind regards

Bruce G. Doig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Perth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Don't expect anything flash when you stay.
The room was so basic, well decorated, but nothing any other hotel would offer. Very clean, the bathroom was overdone with bleach, leaving a dizzy feeling
A spontaneous decision to checkin and stay the night,We ended checking out at 3am, and forfitting our breakfast as the bed was SO HARD! I would've had a better night's sleep on the street and saved some cash. No apologies or any concern when we complained at reception.
Tried to book an in-room massage as offered on the brochure in the room, however there are no staff on site to complete the request.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear rose6062,

Thank you for your review, I express concern that you found the beds 'Hard' as we have never received any complains on our beds as they have all been replaced during our recent refurbishment program. I am concerned, thank you for your feedback.

Your comments on the massage service is a concern because the hotel is manned on a 24 hour basis.
I personally review and follow through with all feedback to the hotel and improve services where possible for the benefit of all our guests.

I appreciate your response.

Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located and is just a short walk from the river. Free Red Cat Bus runs one street away and takes you up town and beyond. Good walking beside river in the early morning. Avoid buses in afternoon peak hours. Overall hotel is above reasonable (Very Good). Hopefully TV units will be replaced in current hotel upgrade. Will stay there again.
Water presure was ok on second floor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear AlanPCanberra,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the location and the amenties that surround the hotel.
Sir, all televisions have been upgraded to digital Samsung quality and proving a winner with guests.
Once again thank you your comments are valuable and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

A friend and I stayed here for 2 nights in a deluxe room. The beds were great and good facilities etc but we had hardly any water pressure and no Hot water for a bath which was really dissapointing when we complained at the desk they didnt offer a discount or anything when you are paying that price you do expect the basics to be right.

Room Tip: Ask them about the water pressure in your room before you check in and get a river view room if you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear VanessaC,

I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay. The matter of no hot water I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused to you and your partner, this is unacceptable.
We have conducted an investigation and the issue has been resolved.

Thank you for your positive comments on the beds and hotel Facilities. If you decide to use in the future I am happy to oversee your reservation personally.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I am a regular business traveler in Australia and Asia and comparing the Duxton to other 5 star hotels in Australia or Asia this is really more a 3 - 4 star hotel.

I stayed in the Duxton 8 years ago and I thought it was absolutely spectacular at that time. I always remembered it as the best hotel in Perth (and I have stayed in many of the otherPerth hotels over the years) - therefore my expectation was pretty high when I finally made it back.

Unfortunately it already went a bit downhill when I arrived at the hotel. The taxi driver stopped in front of the hotel at around 6.45 pm and opened the boot but nobody was there to help with my luggage. Never mind I thought - my 2 pieces of luggage are not too heavy so I got them out myself. The front door was luckily open so I made my way to reception - still carrying my 2 suitcases. On the way I passed the concierge and also a guy I think was a doorman but nobody offered any help. So I checked in and went to my room on the 5th floor.
And yes you guessed correctly - still me by myself with my 2 suitcases. you might call it whatever you thing but for me this is clearly not a 5 Star hotel service in my opinion.

My room so (deluxe room) was pretty large and had everything a business traveler needs even so the decor looked a bit dated. The bed was really comfortable and looked pretty new. The bathroom on the other side looked really old - I guess 80s or 90s - and that certainly isn't appropriate for a 5 Star hotel.
Also the shower seemed to have a problem. I had mine running for 3 minutes on a Tuesday afternoon before I got any hot water. The pressure was ok at that time but I'm not sure how it would be in the morning when everybody has their showers.

Another thing to mention is that there is no turn-down service or free water in the rooms. Again this is something that should be standard in a 5 Star hotel.

One positive so is that since August this year the internet is free of charge.

Many people mentioned that you can hear the noise from your neighbors very well in the rooms. I can't confirm that as in my room it was always very quiet. I couldn't hear a thing but while walking to my room from the elevator I could hear a lot of noise from conversations and TV from the rooms. So I am not sure if I was just lucky or if they actually fixed the noise problem between the rooms.

Obviously there is some refurbishment going on right now. Not that the Duxton hotel mentions that on their homepage but I found a set of complimentary ear plugs in my room to block out out the noise from the elevator refurbishment. I was really upset about this when I arrive but during my stay I didn't hear a thing so it didn't disturb me at all. Still so I would have liked to have this mentioned on their homepage so I would have had a choice to cope with it or not.

As a summary. All Perth hotels are in the fortunate situation that due to the mining boom hotel rooms are very limited and they can sell basically every room at a pretty high price. Let's hope all these hotels keep in mind that you can only keep people staying in your hotel if you keep a high standard specifically if the mining boom goes down. Some have reacted already - like the Sheraton (now Pan Pacific) by giving their hotel a new face lift and refurbish their rooms.
Probably the one I will stay again next time... until other ones will follow....

Room Tip: Go for a room on the high floors to get a nice few over Swan River....
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear BarbaraK,

I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay. I apologise for the way our team has welcomed you to the hotel this is extremely unusual and I have investigated this failure in service with the Hotel's Head Concierge.
As General Manager your comments have been taken positively and the impression of the rooms is a bit disppointing due to the refurbishment that we have achieved over the last 12 months. I do agree with you that all rooms are very comfortable and the Club level is excellent value.
We are continuing with the hotel refurbishment into 2013 and further redevelopment as well. Thank you once again for your honesty and gracious comments.

Sincerely

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We were complimentry upgraded to a club room at check-in. The room was huge, 2 double beds, lounge and desk, very very spacious. Lovely furnishing looking over the swan river. It has a very grand feeling even in the hallways to the rooms. Bathrooms were very well designed, lovely selection of coffee's and tea's.. Complimentry drinks for 2 hours 6-8pm and snacks. Staff were very professional and overall the hotel is lovely, I was very impressed. The room included buffet breakfast, this is the only area I could fault or suggest improvements, it was ok, not a great deal of selection. Some of the food was flavourless. I would definelty stay at this hotel again. Club rooms were fantastic, I know that they are pricer than the standard but you can see where your extra money goes to. Oh and the Nickelback concert was fantastic!!

Room Tip: If you can afford to splash out, get a club room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear Brandyloons,

Thankyou very much for your positive comments on the Hotel and the Team. We are glad that your stay on our Club Room level was a great experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. I have also passed on you comments to The Duxton Team.

May I also take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Warm Regards

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel has a great location as it is within walking distance to local landmarks such as Bell Tower, King's Park, or Hay St. Mall. If you don't mind walking a little further you could even walk to the Perth railway Station.

Staffs were very polite and helpful. Room service was really great too, especially the Chicken Curry and the Angus Beef Burger. It's a must try.

Room was sufficiently equipped. Very clean and also nicely decorated. There is no universal power plug but you can request one from the reception with a $20 deposit. However, the bathroom look rather old especially the tilings.

All in all a great hotel to stay in Perth :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear diansoh,

I appreciate your kind remarks on your recent stay. The positive comments on our Chef's quality of food is very encouraging. I have briefed our kitchen brigade on your feedback, thank you.

I have personally thanked all staff for their sincere friendly & polite service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Bruce G. Doig

Been to Duxton Hotel? Share your experiences!