“Overpriced for what you get” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Perth Ambassador Hotel

You added Perth Ambassador Hotel to your Saves list
Perth Ambassador Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   196 Adelaide Terrace, Perth, Western Australia 6004, Australia   |
Ranked #37 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Wuxi
“Overpriced for what you get”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Well, what I should say is that Perth in general is overpriced in terms of hotels. The Ambassador is particularly so - a tired property on the edge of the CBD. $265 without breakfast. Breakfast was another $19. Room was functional but very much in need of a facelift - as are all the lifts and common areas. Staff were fine - helpful. Breakfast was ok. Gym is one weight machine, one stepper and a rowing machine with a 1970s sauna....

There are a lack of options in Perth but my advice is pay another $50 and get a much better experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Thai first
Kalgoorlie, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I recently booked two nights for two rooms as part of a business trip.

I had to cancel the booking for one of the rooms as the circumstances changed and only one person was required to attend. As the cancellation was the same day as the arrival date one nights penalty was to be applied. I did not have a problem with this although my company has used this hotel many times in the past and they were still accommodating one person.

I asked that the full amount be refunded to my credit card and the outstanding penalty amount be charged to another credit card, also in my name but purely used for business purposes. This was flatly refused at first as the reception staff did not understand what I was asking due to their extremely poor english. I subsequently spoke to a supervisor, who when asked as to her position, begrudgingly told me she wasn't a manager. I was told a manager would contact me in a few hours. That was almost a week ago.

I received an email chain which had bounced between the hotel and their booking office, Agoda, from three different people all saying different things. The most absurd being that they had tried to contact me repeatedly by phone. I questioned this as I made sure I was contactable and had no missed calls or messages on my mobile phone. The email reply was that they had tried to contact me in the room; which you will by now recall was the same room that I had cause to cancel.

I am still several hundred dollars out of pocket due to their incompetence and poor communication skills. After almost a week I would expect some form of communication to attempt to resolve the matter. As a result of their absolutely disgusting service I and others from my company will be staying at other hotels during our frequent visits to the Perth CBD.

Oh and the other person that stayed at the hotel had just as shameful an experience actually staying at the hotel with the quality and cleanliness of the hotel being sub standard and almost all but one of the staff having very little english speaking ability.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I live in Perth and whenever i need 5 mins to myself or have an event in the city i need to attend, i always stay here. Great little hotel, staff are very friendly. Rooms are great, yes the decor may be a little dated but it has every thing you need. Room service is also quiet exceptional just wish it was open for a little longer. People are only complaining about the hotel because they never did their research before they chose to stay.

Look forward to my next visit in June :)

Room Tip: Corporate rooms are the best size wise
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The positives - well located in central Perth, friendly efficient staff, king size bed, clean room. All rooms non smoking.

Negatives - carpets stained in room and throughout hotel. Bathroom fittings worn and some rust evident. Parking $12/night, Continental breakfast $14.
Vacant lot next door that at some point will become a construction site.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tokyo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Appalling customer care. I recently stayed here for one night on business. The hotel is average but the reason I am leaving this poor review is because I was absolutely appalled when I received a $194 charge for my stay – 3 days after I had stayed there. Apparently they rang our company’s travel agent who said that no company cc details were on file and that’s why it hadn’t been paid. I can understand that the room had to be paid for what annoyed me was that they did not call and speak to me first. Had they done so I could have contacted our travel agent to fix it (the travel agent did have our company’s cc on file as they had booked and paid for our flights – this would have been easy to resolve). When I rang to complain I was put through to Anabela Pereira (Front Office Supervisor). When I told her I was upset the charge had been made without notifying me by phone first, I did not get so much as an apology – just a ‘mm hmm’.
Despicable attitude from someone in the hospitality industry.

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

On a recent stay at the Ambassador for work, I had hoped to spend some valuable relaxation time once I finished work for the day. This was not to be I am sorry to say. The hotel is a little way out of the CBD and during the week it is quite a deserted part of town at night. This prompted a reluctance to walk to restaurants etc. Room service consisted of phoning down to the restaurant and getting a call from the kitchen to come and pick it up when it was ready. I spent 5 days asking for the shower gel in the shower to be filled, housekeeping forgot to finish a service and neglected to take out rubbish, forgot to finish the bed. The power socket in the bathroom didn't work and the dryer fell off the wall. The air conditioning was centrally controlled and therefore could not be adjusted. It was cold. I must say, I am usually tolerant and can understand things missed and mistakes made, but on this occasion having to repeatedly seek remedy to situations was unacceptable and not in keeping with the advertised service standard. A very disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel is my best tip
Whangarei New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We were booked into this Hotel for our last night in Perth, wish we had stayed with family instead, the room was small the bathroom had very noisy taps we had to catch the shuttle at 5.15 for our flight so no time for breakfast etc.

Room Tip: Had very little time there but did tell travel agent not to recommend
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Perth Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!