“Fair value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of City Stay Apartment Hotel

You added City Stay Apartment Hotel to your Saves list
City Stay Apartment Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   875 Wellington St | West Perth, Perth, Western Australia 6005, Australia (West Perth)   |
Ranked #42 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Melbourne
“Fair value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in a 2 bedroom apartment (#217) at the rear of the property and were very satisfied with the quality of the apartment for the price. The apartment was clean & functional and the staff were pleasant and obliging. The hotel has a well presented mini mart where you can buy your breakfast essentials for a reasonable price.

The hotel is located right on Perth's excellent free transit CAT bus system.

The swimming pool/barbecue area layout - at the back of the car park, is not very attractive however the pool was clean and refreshing in the hot summer weather.

Yes, we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the property would be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

This was not the best hotel we stayed in for our 9 day trip around Perth and Albany. I don't think I have encountered such selfish guests in all our years of travelling. Children playing chasing in the corridor at 6.30am and people continuing a drinking party at 1am around the pool area the next night, thank heavens we were only there to sleep (although with difficulty) and to shower (which was very nice) and change. There was parking available which seemed to be rare in Perth city. Close to highway to head north and close to the airport. If not fussy go for it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth - Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The location is brilliant, Yellow Cat (free bus) just outside the entrance, Harbor shopping town across the street, and parking is free! Yes the rooms are simple, nothing fancy but they were clean. Would recommend highly if you needed to stay in the city for a few days.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Broome, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We stayed at City Stay for 2 nights recently due to a medical appointment in Perth.
Unfortunately there is very little I could say that would be positive about this hotel.
On checking in we discovered that we had been booked into a two bedroom rather than a one bedroom apartment, we realized this when the cashier asked a much higher price than we were quoted. He was able to find us a one bedroom room and changed us there, however, still charged us a higher price than what we had initially been quoted.
The lifts was broken, 'until further notice', and we were on the third floor. As I have mobility issues we had specifically chosen a hotel with a lift... so it was disappointing to have to climb 3 flights of stairs. The hotel staff did not know when the lift would be repaired.
The first trip on the stairwell, I noticed that there was litter on the landing (gummy lollies and lolly wrappers.) These were not cleaned up for our entire stay.
The room smelled quite strongly of chemicals, and was not as clean as I would have liked. The hotel is 3 and a half star, but given the cleanliness and the very budget fittings, I would only describe it as a two at best.
As the apartment was self contained, we asked the cashier for directions to a supermarket. He drew us a little map, which showed a supermarket 2 blocks away. After walking for more than 5 blocks, I was no longer able to continue, so my husband left me outside a store (which was closed being a Sunday, so we couldnt ask directions) and continued on for 2 blocks. He could then see the supermarket, a small convenience store, still another block away that was closed (due to Sunday trading) This was fairly frustrating! My husband then took me back to the hotel and walked for another 45 minutes before he could find a take away venue.
The hotel was quite noisy during the night, it was a mechanical noise, perhaps air conditioning units? We are both very heavy sleepers but I noticed it when getting up during the night, it would keep any light sleeper awake.
A menu in the room suggested that we could ask for a top up of milk, tea, coffee and sugar each day for free, (We were given 4 tea bags, 6 sugars and 200ml of milk on arrival) However when I asked at reception I was told this was incorrect, that top ups were not allowed, and it would cost me $1!? I have never heard this in a hotel before.
The biggest and worst shock came though when we went to check out. The receptionist told us there was an outstanding amount on our bill due to us being in a 2 bedroom apartment. We told her we had been changed, even pointing out the staff member who changed us. She then decided that we had been given an incorrect rate, so even though we were in a one bedroom, we still owed the amount. She was extremely rude and aggressive, raising her voice and insisting we pay the difference. Eventually when I was close to tears, my husband pointed out that there is absolutely no way we would have accepted a higher rate and stayed there, but instead stayed in the city, so she said she would let it go this time.
I will never stay at City Stay again, and would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Book on the internet so that you have something in writing which shows the price, do NOT book over t...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stayed for 1 night just before flying home. We chose it for the location - for some great shopping at Harbour Town (just across the road!). The room was very basic but clean & has a little kitchen. Parking was free but the car park lot was very small! Given the price & location, it was good value.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the main road.
Quairading, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is great value when compared to other places. The hotel was clean and offered free parking but like most city parking it's very tight. The staff were amazing. I had a toddler and newborn with me and I was offered trolleys for luggage on the way in and on the way out when I was really loaded up one of the cleaning staff pushed my luggage trolley for me and another staff member even helped me load the car. It is a little noisy with traffic but once the fans were on I didn't hear anything and that was on a Friday night.
I booked through another site and requested a cot and didn't get a reply so would recommend phoning for special requests.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back and away from smoking area
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Is easy to go town center and fremantle by public transport if you are staying there. We had no transport while we were staying there for 3 night and for us the apartment was acceptable with that price and location. Don't expect too much, the ceiling fan inside the master bedroom may be too low to you, the window may not impress you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to City Stay Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!