“Solid business hotel in good location and currently good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pan Pacific Perth

You added Pan Pacific Perth to your Saves list
Pan Pacific Perth
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   207 Adelaide Terrace, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (East Perth)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Pacific Escape
Ranked #21 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Various, UK, Aus, NZ, HK
“Solid business hotel in good location and currently good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

I stayed in the Pacific Club level of this hotel for 5 nights at the end of January 2011. I have previously stayed extensively when it was the Sheraton, and the staff have not changed (other than the top tier management).
FIrstly - recognise that it only opened as a Pan Pacific in Jan 2011, so there are some teething issues. The main one I notice is that many of the staff don't know much about the current hotel policies ... when asking "do you still hire out bikes" (Something the Sheraton did) they didn't know and put me through to the concierge, when ringing up prior to my stay to ask about inclusions in the online rate, they told me internet was extra whereas actually if you join the (free) hotel loyalty scheme you can get it for free - this was a nice extra that impressed me.
The Room: I'm in a club room. The bathroom is excellent - separate large shower and small bathtub; nice amount of room in the bathroom; nice amenities. The main room is large enough but not excessively big, desk is good enough for working, the iron and ironing board and robe were all present. The club rooms are modern and refurbished. The bed is soft - too soft for me, but I like my beds rock hard. There is no hotel "directory" in the room - eventually I rang up to ask for one to be told it's "on the TV". Duh? Not impressed with that - I like to browse a hotel directory in paper format.
The Club Lounge: No change at all from when it was the Sheraton. Even the food is identical. It has free wifi for lounge guests, simple breakfast with 4 hot dishes, cereals, pastries and fruit (no asian stuff which is good); evening cocktails have soft drinks, wine, beer and cheese, 2 hot snacks and some cold snacks. There are 2 pc's which allow you to print 10 pages free.
Restaurants: Did not use
Fitness Centre: Did not use on this occasion but guess it is identical to the Sheraton one, which was small and functional but not particularly good.
Value for Money: This was excellent value for money for Perth, but I got an "opening special" . If they keep these rates I will return.
Downsides: My first night they had a function in the conference floor (a "school ball" apparently) which was very noisy until midnight and kept me awake. The Executive floors are not on high floors which means they don't have good views and are more prone to noise issues than normal floors - a design flaw of the hotel I think.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
GrantRaubenheimer, General Manager at Pan Pacific Perth, responded to this review, February 5, 2011
We are pleased to receive the review from our Pacific Club guest and appreciate the time taken to post their comments. As the reviewer pointed out, we have been rebranded as of early January and it is unfortunate the associates spoken to did not know that it is business as usual. I must apologies for this and will put measure in place to ensure all associates are fully aware of our complete offerings. We do indeed still hire bikes. Thank you for your comments in relation to the in room compendium, and my apologies that the printed compendium was not placed in your room leaving only the on TV compendium available. We do look forward to welcoming the guest back to the hotel where they will find these “teething issues” certainly ironed out.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Indonesian first
Santa Cruz, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

While the hotel lobby looks good the rooms are not well maintained and the staff not properly trained. We had an air conditioning problem in our room during a very hot time. Called late night and was told there was no one available until the next day. Prior to departing the next morning for the day I reported the problem in person to the front desk. Returned later that day and nothing had been, the front desk never reported the problem. That late afternoon a staff member came to the room looked around and said he could do nothing. We were offered another room, we took the offer to change rooms. We moved by ourselves to a room where the air conditioner was only slightly better. Moreover, the new room's TV did not work at first, but was quickly fixed by staff.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
GrantRaubenheimer, General Manager at Pan Pacific Perth, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
I would like to thank the reviewer for their posting. I am concerned to read the issues you had surrounding your room air conditioning and the delay in having it repaired. We have a very sophisticated system in place for all room issues and I am at a loss to explain why the Air Conditioning was not attended to following your call to the desk. Please accept my sincere apologies for this and for the delay in offering you a room move as a result. It is unfortunate that there are sometimes issue out of our control such as the AC unit, but, it is always our intention to have these matters resolved as quickly as possible. This issue has been addressed with the team and I assure you should we have the opportunity to welcome these guests back to the hotel in the future their stay will certainly be as expected from a five star establishment. We always appreciate feedback and again my thanks for your review.
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

I stayed at the Pan Pacific for the night of the Australia Day fireworks.
We arrived and had a short wait in line to be able to check in, no big deal. They tried to charge us more for the room that what our internet "deal" was. Although this was quickly sorted I believe it should not have happened.
We made our way to our room, good size room. No roll away bed as had been paid for and booked. Only two towels for 4 people, no robes, no water bottles. Asked for linen, was sent up eventually. We were left to make up the bed ourselves!
The bathroom was clean, good size, had bath and shower, the usual soap/shampoo etc. The towels were big and reasonably thick.
We went down to the pool, was VERY windy! The pool is heated which is good. Was very cold getting out with the wind though.
We had room service which tasted good, came up in a timely manner. We decided that we'd like some ice for our room and were told in would cost us $7.50! ridiculous!
We went down to the club room for drinks and canapes, they had a good selection of wine/beers and spirits if you asked for them. There were a few canapes but nothing too exciting, samosas, spring rolls, crackers/dip, biscuits.
We went back to our friends room to watch the fireworks - they had a great view! We were told we were being too loud at 9pm! there were 4 adults sitting around talking and laughing, no yelling, no loud talking, no swearing, no tv. Seemed a bit strange to us so we queried who had complained so we would know for sure it was us and find out what exactly the problem was, we were told the on duty manager would get back to us - they never did, obviously someone had made a mistake!
Breakfast the next morning in the club lounge was standard kind of breakfast, cereal, juices, eggs, bacon, toast, yoghurt. It all tasted OK.
Checked out no problem. I do think $50 for your car to stay the night is quite excessive though!
Overall, its not a bad hotel but all the little things add up. There are better places to stay in the area.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Thank you to the reviewer for taking the time to write a review following their stay however, I am concerned that there were some details during their stay that are not in keeping with the high standards we set and attain. In relation to the comments made on the room rates booked and then charged, it is always difficult to check reservation details from our reviewers and I can only assume that there was an issue as a result of our system upgrade and would like to extend my apologies if this was the case. I am glad that the problem was resolved, but as you rightly pointed out, it should not have occurred in the first place.
The details surrounding the number of guests in the room and the roll away bed are also of concern. I can say that rollaway beds are only delivered to the room unless requested, following the guests check in, and, all roll away beds are made up prior to being taken onto the guest floors and then wheeled into the guests so I am at a loss as to why the reviewer had no linen.- please accept my apologies for this and I can assure you this has been investigated and procedures have been reviewed where necessary.
I must apologise if the reviewer felt there was an issue surrounding the noise complaint, but, if there is a complaint raised from another guest in house, we are cognisant of the comfort of all of our guests and as such would need to investigate and act accordingly.
I would like to speak to the reviewer directly to discuss the details surrounding their stay and I do hope to welcome these guests back in the not too distant future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011 via mobile

This place is shocking! No such thing as service, trying to rip you off at every turn! Ice for $7.50!
Booked a suite for three people, no bed or linen for the 3rd person, told i had no access to the club room when the room I paid for, in advance,included the club room! They tried to charge me more than the rate I paid for over the Internet! Was told at 9pm I was too loud, was not making any noise! Room service was average at best. This place is the pits do not stay here!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010
GrantRaubenheimer, Manager at Pan Pacific Perth, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
I am pleased that this guest has taken the time to write a review following their stay however; I am concerned that their stay was not totally up to their expectations. For all extra bed requests, the beds are normally sent up to the guests room once the guests have checked in. I have attempted to locate the guests profile based on the details to hand to ascertain the details for the extra bed request but unfortunately I am unable to. Please accept my apologies if the bed was requested to be in the room on arrival and this was overlooked.
Once again, it is difficult to see if the reviewer was in fact booked into one of our Pacific Club Suites which do have full access to the Pacific Club lounge. Our new club rooms, of which we have 96, are a favourite for our guests and I am sorry the reviewer was perhaps not booked into one of these rooms.
I would very much like to speak to the reviewer to discuss the various issues raised in order for us to gain back some credibility in their eyes but more importantly to ensure that if there was a problem with the reservation following our system changeover, these can be resolved to prevent a reoccurrence and also to discuss the details surrounding the noise complaint raised by another guest- the comfort and safety of all of our guests is of paramount importance to the hotel. Please be assured that we will indeed do everything we are able to, to make sure that should they choose to return, their total stay will be to the standard they would expect from a five star establishment
Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights, offer was sweetened by the discounted opening rates they had but would have been well worth even without them. From the outside its still the old building they inherited from Sheraton but they're doing a good job of refurbishing it. Surprisingly their executive floors were not higher up in the building but from floors 5-8 which meant the views were not so great. Breakfast was low in variety and a bit of a bore. The club lounge was great, concierge was very helpful to give recommendations & book tours, front desk were helpful and nice - all in all a good experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank the guest for their comments and of course for taking the time to post the review. I will certainly take up with our Restaurant and Bars team your remarks about the breakfast as the offering in our Pacific Club Lounge and indeed Monterey’s do always receive positive responses, that being said, we are always happy to look at alternatives, in fact we will soon be running a special add on for the Chinese New year in our outlets at breakfast. Thank you also for your comments regarding the service received at concierge – we do have a dedicated, experienced team on board and I am glad they were able to assist you in making your trip to Perth an overall good experience. Our goal is to create Memorable Hotel Experiences, and I am pleased that we were able to do so in this case.

Grant Raubenheimer

Been to Pan Pacific Perth? Share your experiences!