“Weekend Escape” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pan Pacific Perth

You added Pan Pacific Perth to your Saves list
Pan Pacific Perth
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   207 Adelaide Terrace, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (East Perth)   |
Ranked #21 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Perth, Australia
“Weekend Escape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed in a club room, right next to the club in fact.
We had originally booked a standard room, but paid to upgrade.
The room was surprisingly small, but was fairly modern and nice.
The view was pretty bland - over Adelaide Terrace.
Had afternoon tea and breakfast in the club - was nice, not crowded - good view.
Left an electric toothbrush behind - hotel was very helpful retrieving it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kim P, General Manager at Pan Pacific Perth, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Ausmat

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback following your stay in one of our Pacific Club King Rooms.

We were pleased to read that you and your partner enjoyed the many privileges offered in our Pacific Club Lounge as it has proven very popular with our business and leisure guests and is an ideal area to relax and socialize.

It was also good to hear our team was successful in retrieving your lost property and arranging its return to you.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again and the opportunity of extending our warm Pan Pacific Perth hospitality.

Kind regards

Kim Powley, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here for a couple of days over the Christmas period and were impressed on the overall improvement of both the service and quality of the stay.

We were on the Club level where we had complimentary afternoon tea and then in the evening canapes and and drinks. Being Christmas it was quite busy but the Club lounge is spacious so it didn't feel overcrowded. We felt that the food in the Club lounge was the only thing that let the stay down - the canapes weren't of the standard they used to be and there certainly was a lot less choice. However, we also understand that they have a new chef and this is under review so looking forward to some changes there.

We chose to have breakfast downstairs in Montereys and thoroughly enjoyed it on both occasions. Raymond gave excellent service and had a fantastic attitude every time we saw him (including the very busy Christmas Lunch time). The coffee has improved heaps and the food was fresh and a great variety to choose from.

The toiletries in the room have changed since we last stayed and we really liked them - even the bath salts which I normally hate - Himalayan bath salts. The toiletries had scents of things like ginger and lemongrass like they use in spas - wonderful!

Overall a great stay and good to see the many improvements.

Room Tip: Club Level
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Kim P, General Manager at Pan Pacific Perth, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear PinkDiamondKT

It was a pleasure to read your kind review following your stay over the Christmas period – thank you.

Our team really does strive to surpass the expectations of our guests and we are pleased their friendly and personable approach, particularly from Raymond in Montereys, was appreciated and helped you and your family settle in for a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

As you have mentioned, our canapé selection in the Pacific Club Lounge is indeed under review by our newly appointed Executive Chef Graham and we feel sure that next time you stay, this pre-Dinner offering will reflect a variety of items of a higher standard.

Kind regards

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We enjoyed a week's stay and could not fault it. The service personnel were especially helpful informative and friendly. Good location for getting out and about to discover Perth.Breakfast was included and most days we skipped lunch

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kim P, General Manager at Pan Pacific Perth, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Dot

Thank you very much for your "Perfect" TripAdvisor posting.

We were pleased to read you could not fault the experience and found the service team especially helpful and friendly. I will be passing along your very encouraging comments to our team with my thanks as well!

Chef Graham will be thrilled that you enjoyed the breakfast experience, I know he will be sharing this with his team

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

On behalf of the team here at Pan Pacific Perth let me pass on best wishes for 2014

Kim

Oxford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Good to see the GM comments on feedback so we'll see what he/she makes of this.

Booked two Club rooms which were of a good standard, clean and well designed. We arrived after midnight from Singapore and our initial request via email for an extra bed in one of our rooms (for an 8 year old) and twin beds in the other had not been fulfilled despite confirmation from the hotel. Sorted but shame it was not done as promised.

Pacific Club Lounge - nice area to relax but the food not up to much really. Probably fine if you are only here for a day or too but a week of beet root sandwiches, crudités and cheese and biscuits gets a bit dull. Can't you provide one hot dish like a curry with rice, beef stew or something to break it up ? My other issue - which is a theme at this hotel - is that the advertised times are not adhered to. The Lounge is supposed to stay open until 9pm for tea and coffee. I arrived at 8.50pm and all the machines had been rinsed through. The staff had clearly been looking to get away early and had been caught on the hop. (Sabrina Cheng was on duty for reference). There then followed a rather excruciating period of apology which was both embarrassing and unnecessary.

The next issue is the Bar. Two issues here - unrelated but systematic of a lack of awareness by the management (seemingly). Firstly, like the Lounge, it is advertised to open until 11pm but I was made to feel really uncomfortable ordering a drink at 10.45pm. Last orders had not been called but the lights were switched off etc. As I was in the bar to watch the EPL on the big screen (so as not to disturb my family) I was then advised that I could only buy 1 drink as that was the hotel policy. I wanted to buy 2 small bottles of beer to sit and watch the football after the bar shut - "Sorry Sir - there need to be 2 people at the bar to serve 2 drinks". The second incidence was even more bizarre. On our last night, whilst I was checking our bill as we had a very early departure, my wife went to the bar to buy a glass of fizz and a bottle of beer to take to our room. She was told that champagne glasses are not allowed to be taken from the bar as that is the "Bar Supervisor's" rule. To cut a long story short I went to the restaurant - got a champagne glass - went back to the bar and it was reluctantly filled. The duty manager who tried to evade my initial concern about this issue (Ahdi ?) i.e he would not come to Reception from his office when I asked to speak to the Duty Manager - then tried to clarify the situation with the bartender (young lady) with myself in attendance to learn the same that my wife had originally been advised - and to be fair I think he was stunned that this was the 'Bar' policy on glasses.

So strange policies - which just detracted from a great trip. Great hotels don't get caught in this dogma but have great employees empowered with passion for customers. Work in progress ?

Room Tip: Club Lounge is good but read my comments. Your call on whether the extra justifies the means.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mr Vaile

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback following your recent stay at Pan Pacific Perth.

I am pleased you noted I read every one of the comments that are posted and we do take action to address any concerns raised. Just for clarification I am a "he", but do appreciate my first name often leads to some confusion.

I have investigated the initial booking error and agree with you this should have been sorted before you arrived. This was definitely an oversight when updating by one of our reservations team. I am however pleased this was resolved quickly.

The Pacific Club lounge is open until 9pm and it is disappointing to learn it closed early on one evening you were here. We receive many positive comments about Sabrina and her team so I can assure you they are dedicated associates, however clearly they should not be cleaning or closing keys items like the coffee machine before the scheduled closing time (Sabrina is handling this). The evening cocktail experience in the lounge is offered as a complement to the beverages serviced during the happy hour. I do agree that the rotation and selection of the cocktail food offering can be improved and our newly appointed Executive Chef, Graham, is currently working on this. The focus however will remain on cocktail hot & cold food items rather than hot "meal like" food items as this is in keeping with the lounge concept.

I appreciate the challenges you experienced at the lounge bar, however there is an explanation. Our team in charge of the bar are required by West Australian law to follow the "Responsible Service of Alcohol" regulations. One of these regulations relates to the closing time of the bar and the time allowed, following the closing of the bar, for any guest to finish consuming any remaining alcohol (hence the reluctance for the team to serve two drinks just prior to closing). As you were an in house guest our team could have offered to assist you with a second drink to your room through In Room Dining, although I appreciate you wanted to be in the bar for the EPL on the big screen. As for the second experience you had, yes we do have a house policy that no glasses are to be removed from the bar or restaurant area. This is a house rule designed for guest safety as we want to avoid any accidental breakage of glass in the lobby and/or guest elevators. In this case our team should have offered to handle this for you via our In Room Dining team who could have safely handled this directly to your room without the need to go through the hotel lobby and guest elevators (and our restaurant team should not have allowed a glass to be removed from their area). Each of these experiences could have been handled better with a clearer level of communication from our team to you. We have taken this opportunity to update our training roster to ensure these highlighted challenges you have experienced are added to the training list for all new Food & Beverage associates.

I was sorry to read the otherwise great trip was marred by these few experiences. We do empower our team to make decisions and by enlarge I believe they do an excellent job, take responsibility and are focused on delivering great experiences. We do however need to continue to work on ensuring accurate and clear communication at all times

Mr Vaile, thank you again for your constructive comments. We have taken them on board and have taken action to address them

Best regards and best wishes in 2014!
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We finished our stay in Perth with two nights at this hotel. The foyer is beautiful and we were pleased that our room was available when we arrived (earlier than normal checkin time). All staff we encountered were friendly and helpful.
Just a few minor issues. Wireless internet and parking were both quite expensive. The pool area was not very inviting and not a comfortable place to sit and relax.
All in all a nice stay and we would return when next in Perth.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MissGJ

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback following your recent stay at Pan Pacific Perth.

We are delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our team friendly and helpful. We always strive to meet and hopefully exceed the expectations of our guests and are very grateful to receive encouraging reviews about our level of service and personal associate engagement.

I have noted your comments on the parking and internet prices, however can assure we regularly check this to ensure we are in line with the market here in Perth. I do agree with you that the pool area can be quite windy at time making it a little uncomfortable. We are currently working on replacing our poolside chair cushions and adding some additional furniture which I trust you will find more appealing on your next visit.

Thank you again for you taking the time to share this with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Perth

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed one night with family in two connecting rooms. Arrived very late at night. Check in was fast and efficient. Ordered room service as the kids were hungry. Food was terrible. Fruit platter looked and tasted as if it had been sitting in a cool room for days! The rooms we had were old and tired. Bed uncomfortable as it had big dip in the middle. Very average!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Orla P

Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay

Firstly and most importantly I would like to apologise for the In Room Dining experience you have described, clearly this is not in keeping with our ususal high standards. Although our fruit platters are freshly prepared several times per day I acknowledge a delivery error could have been made. Our Executive Chef has reviewed our preparation and delivery processes again to address any such possibilities.

Your comments regarding our Standard rooms have been taken on board and we are very sorry to learn we did not deliver to your expectation. Fortunately we are in the planning stage of a rooms refurbishment for our tower rooms and will be announcing the details of this later in the year. As an alternative when next you plan to visit central Perth you may wish to consider reserving one of our Pacific Club King Rooms which are contemporary in design and offer modern, spacious bathrooms. Access to the Pacific Club Lounge is also available with these rooms and is a great place to relax and enjoy the many privileges of the Lounge including drinks and canapés served of an evening and also buffet breakfast next morning.

Once again, thank you for your valuable input, it is very much appreciated. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back in the future and to restoring your confidence in our team. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any assistance.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I must admit that after staying at 4 different hotels in Perth over last 8 months, I made a wise decision to stay at Perth on 18th & 19th Dec 2013. The hotel's location is great with easy access to good Indian restaurants. The room was spacious as compared to other hotels in Perth. They have a good breakfast spread too. Overall a comfortable stay...next trip, I will stay there only.

Room Tip: ask for rooms at a higher floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Kim P, General Manager at Pan Pacific Perth, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Baljit203

Thank you for your "Best Stay in Perth" review, it is very much appreciated

I was pleased to read you had a great experience with us earlier this month and on your next trip you will only stay with us. I will also pass along your positive comments to our Executive Chef and his team regarding the breakfast in Monterey's

The Pan Pacific Perth team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Safe travels and best regards

Kim Powley

Been to Pan Pacific Perth? Share your experiences!