“Oh, but the Restaurant...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pan Pacific Perth

You added Pan Pacific Perth to your Saves list
Pan Pacific Perth
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   207 Adelaide Terrace, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (East Perth)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary breakfast
Ranked #23 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“Oh, but the Restaurant...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I hovered between a 3 and 4 star rating for this hotel It's a little dated, but very comfortable, and we had great service from the concierge and in the signature restaurant (Origins). We were there in the midst of a tourism trade event and other people's horror hotel stories made me think we'd actually done pretty well. The restaturant is the highlight - but it's a decent prospect overall in a city wher good hotels are rare and pricy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear dsm1961
I am delighted to read that you received great service from the concierge team as well as our one hat restaurant Origins- our new menu really has been a great hit and the Chef d’ Cuisine and his team will be pleased to receive your positive comments. Regards
Grant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

This is my first ever review of a hotel and sadly it's because the service has been poor today. When we arrived to check in at about 5.30pm there was a long line and only two people serving. We spent over 30 minutes just waiting to check in. When I mentioned this to the guy at the service counter he couldn't bring himself to say sorry.

Then I went up to the room and my bag hadn't arrived in my room, which was surprising since I had dropped it off in the morning. So I called first the luggage collection number--no answer. Then I tried reception--no answer. There is a button on my phone that says 'Service One'. Tried that--no answer. So I tried in-room dining, who answered and put me through, eventually, to reception. I asked for my bag to be sent up but still waiting. Not holding my breath on this one.

I hope this is not the typical experience at this hotel. I think I will be avoiding the Pan Pacific chain in the future. I travel a lot and I don't need to headaches.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear ShawnC777
My thanks for posting your review following your check in at the hotel and I hope that despite the hiccups on check in and your luggage delivery that you still had an enjoyable stay with us. It is always unfortunate when on this occasion despite our best efforts, our goal of delivering a safe, warm welcome did not materialise and for this I must apologise. It is however through feedback such as this we are able to review what occurred and what went wrong to ensure that we are able to always deliver that arrival experience expected of a hotel such as ours. I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We had booked the Pan Pacific for 2 nights in June but changed it to one night on the basis of initial room provided plus follow up service. We booked through Wotif and got what I thought was a pretty good rate, but the room was really not up to scratch - while the website does show a couple of shots of the unrenovated rooms they are very strongly lit making it look better than they are, and no bathroom shots. They also do not show the very obvious dip in the old bed. We immediately complained that the website is pretty misleading and such a bed in a 5 star hotel was unacceptable. We got shown the renovated room - which was a huge improvement and would rank as one the nicest rooms in the city (albeit Perth has a poor standard, it is still a very nice room by other city standards). Cost - an extra $100. I do not really understand hotels in this situation where the renovated rooms are available as the weekends are not busy and front office does not upgrade especially when specific complaint is made - there is no extra cost of laundry and so much goodwill is generated, but at Pan Pacific goodwill does not seem to be a high priority. The cost of the room was still reasonable value - but service left bad taste in the mouth, so we checked out the following day. Breakfast in Club Lounge was mediocre - Hyatt was far better; and valet parking is outrageously high (Hyatt $35 and $20 for self parking undercover, versus $50 valet at Pan Pacific).
Next part of the hotel's service was decidedly poor. I left 2 items of clothing plus some food in the room. We got the food back when I went back to drop in key cards, and no clothing which I only realised were missing the following day. I rang the hotel with a clear description twice on the second day after we checked out, plus once the next day in case no one had noticed the items the day before - nothing from three separate staff. My wife followed up much more aggressively convinced the items were still there - she was right. Staff had noted them under the previously booked room and it needed her persistence for staff to do a simple check - they were there and were posted to Sydney. Hotel took care of postal cost (only on our insistence) - but a simple check would have been easier for them and less costly.
Would I stay there again - possibly given room quality of better room, but the service issues would really make me think twice and I would probably choose the Hyatt because of that.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Dubainick

My thanks for your review and my apologies that you felt the standard room you booked on the third party website on our weekend special rate was not up to the level you expected. Our Pacific Club rooms, which I am pleased to note you upgraded to, are truly the best in Perth and as you would have noted when purchased do include access to the Pacific Club lounge and include breakfast, refreshments and afternoon drinks and canapés are therefore do command an upgrade fee. Please also accept my apologies for the obvious mix up with your lost property – I am unsure as to why there were so many issues in trying to locate your property as we have a very clear procedure and therefore the location and onward delivery of your clothing should not have given you so many issues. I have taken this matter up with the managers and team in question to ensure our process is always followed and again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed at Pan Pacific on the Weekend Retreat Package which was quite pleasant overall. It’s fairly no-frills, but the location along St George’s Terrace is good and there are plenty of delis and dining options within walking distance.

The valet parking was a bit problematic when we arrived, as there was a backlog of cars waiting to be parked which spilled onto the street (which unfortunately only has one lane going each way). Given the location of the entry, the hotel isn’t in a position to change this but it was a shame to sit idly in the car waiting for valet staff to come so we could check-in.

We stayed in an entry level room which was fine – none of the complaints that I see some previous reviewers have noted. It may be a tad pricier than its competitors but nothing over the top.

The complimentary buffet breakfast had a decent selection of food, and it was particularly refreshing to see salmon available! There was a chef making omelettes but all I was craving was a boiled egg by itself which I couldn’t find. They ran out of [my favourite] hash browns temporarily, but thankfully re-appeared before we left.

Overall Pan Pacific is a solid hotel. It’s not going to knock your socks off with its beauty or facilities (especially in a basic room), but it’s not a bad place to stay at all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
GrantRaubenheimer, General Manager at Pan Pacific Perth, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Dear Leungti
As a senior reviewer, I do value your comments and thank you for taking the time to post your review. My sincere apologies for the issue on arrival with the backlog of cars, something unfortunately with the size of the porte-cochère and a numerous weekend arrivals, delays can occur. I do hope that this did not unduly affect your overall stay with us. I must also apologise that the team did not mention to you that boiled eggs most certainly are available but these are cooked by the chef on a request basis. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Enjoyable. Staff were very friendly as well as helpful although the rooms are not in good condition. Air-con wasn't working, tv remote was not there. No hair dry too pricey though. Overall, quite pleasant.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Teo J
My thanks for your review and my sincere apologies for the issues you have raised. All of our rooms do have hair dryers which are located inside the drawer of the wardrobe. I cannot see from your review if the Air Conditioning was reported as faulty to the hotel and I do hope that this was dealt with quickly by the engineering team and please do accept my apologies that there was a fault with it during your stay.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed at the Perth Pan Pacific on Saturday 2nd June. Being exhausted after a long day we went to bed early (around 9 pm) only to be woken up by the sound of a band somewhere, at about 10:30pm.
I contacted reception at 10:50 to complain about the noise level and was told Security would ask the band to turn the volume down. About 11:15 I called again to say the volume had actually increased:- the response was they would inform the duty manager but that little could be done about the noise as it came from a band playing for a wedding in the Hotel Banquet Hall (below our room), which would end at midnight. So till that time we had to put up with an irregular "thumpity, thump, thump", sounding like some boy-racer with his stereo turned up full blast in the next bedroom.
That was bad enough but then we were woken at around 04:30 by someone walking around in hard shoes on the tiled floor of the Club Room above our room, at one stage tipping a box of bottles or ice cubes into another container. We checked out of the hotel feeling as tired as when we arrived the previous day.
The moral of the story is do not stay at the Pan Pacific when there is a wedding - the management simply do not care about the comfort of non-wedding guests.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel when they are catering for a wedding
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Peter A
Please accept my apologies for the noise issues surround your recent stay with us. We do have very strict music volume level guidelines for all of our events, in particular the level of Bass and I am sorry that this was not addressed by the duty manager. I am also at a loss as to the other noise you mentioned coming from above your room which we have since investigated as we have never had an issue on this floor before and unfortunately, we were unable to locate or replicate the noise in order for us to address. I am of course disappointed to read that you did not have a rest-full night whilst staying with us but do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back where I am sure the issues of this previous stay will be a distant memory.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

7 months pregnant and a last night out with hubby - got a huge room with spa that actually happened to be the old manager's quarters.
Would have been perfect for a family.
Ate at Origins (degustation menu - incredible) and lovely, lovely staff.
Very professional and welcoming, lovely room and a great weekend.
Only drawback was the soft shell crab we ordered through room service was very average.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Denise l
I am delighted to read you chose our hotel to have a romantic night away before the birth of your baby. I will certainly pass on your complementary comments to the team as they do enjoy receiving positive comments on their delivering professional five star service. Our congratulations again on your pregnancy and we look forward to welcoming you and the family back soon.
Grant

Been to Pan Pacific Perth? Share your experiences!