“Taking advantage” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pan Pacific Perth

You added Pan Pacific Perth to your Saves list
Pan Pacific Perth
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   207 Adelaide Terrace, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (East Perth)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary breakfast
Ranked #23 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Melbourne, Australia
“Taking advantage”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Western Australia is experiencing a mining and resource boom creating a high demand for hotel beds. You will easily pay twice the price you would on the Eastern seaboard for a similar room.
Apart from very high room rates, restaurant etc, this hotel expects $50/night to use their hotel car park. Patrons should know you can park on the street outside for free between 6.00pm and 7.30am.
You can have a reasonable meal for half the price at nearby restaurants. The boom won't last forever but the feeling of being taken for a ride on the gravy train will linger.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
GrantRaubenheimer, General Manager at Pan Pacific Perth, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear Gillespieb
My thanks for your review from which I note you felt Perth was taking advantage of a resource led strong economy. Hotel accommodation as with most things is driven by demand and supply and whilst we are able to run at high occupancy levels most of the year, most hotels, Pan Pacific included do not price gouge as a result. Value for money is definitely front and centre in all that we do and this is what drives the team to deliver that five star service and five star experience. Despite your feelings on value for money, I am pleased to note you still felt that the overall service rated very highly and I thank you for that. I do look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Bern, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Being regular travellers to Vancouver, Canada, we know what high standards the Pan Pacific hotels set, so we were a tad disappointed when we checked into our so-called superior room in Perth’s Pan Pacific. The hotel itself is well located within easy walk of the downtown shopping area (it’s three stops on the free bus to the train station) and it looks good enough from the outside. The lobby too is airy and check-in was quick (then again I was alone, when I returned there was a long queue) and the receptionist was pleasant, efficient and helpful. The concierge too was very helpful and attentive throughout our two day stay and provided us with excellent recommendations. In fact, while staff in general were first class, the room wasn’t. Although spacious, it was dated, the furniture and walls were scuffed, the window frames were rusty in places and the metal was bent (the window didn’t open either though ours did look out partially over the Swan River and largely over the Novotel opposite). The bathroom was small, tired and in dire need of an overhaul (a soap bowl would also be a plus as would better lighting). It wasn’t too clean either (the bath plug was grubby to say the least but I don’t really know how it can be cleaned when it can’t be removed and the fittings are so old). The dressing gowns, coffee/tea maker, safe, flat screen TV and the large, comfortable bed were pluses but nothing exceptional, what was less pleasant was the fact that our two night stay coincided with two late parties somewhere in the bowels of hotel whose music vibrated all the way up to our 11th floor and then both mornings our neighbours decided to shower early.

To sum up: five star staff and location, three star room at best. While the Pan Pacific isn’t average, it certainly isn’t very good either (the room we stayed in was poor), so until Trip Advisor adds a “Good”, an average it is.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Wucie
My thanks for your review from which I am pleased to note that the front of house team delivered on attentive five star service. I must apologise that the function held on our conference floor disturbed your night and will certainly investigate the issues you have raised in your review.
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

Nice hotel with great location. Very near to swan river,Bell tower. Room was big and clean. Receptionisst need to be more customer focused.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
GrantRaubenheimer, General Manager at Pan Pacific Perth, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Dear Jaleel28
Thank you for your review and glad you found the room large and clean. I appreciate any feedback and will certainly look into your comments about the receptionist needing to be more customer focussed. This is certainly what we strive to achieve and our Rooms Division Manager will be addresing this with her team. I trust that we will still have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

The Pan Pacific is a really nice hotel, my fiance and I decided to drive in as we were only staying 1 night as we had a Christmas Party in the city, finding the parking area was a little hard at first but after a quick word to someone out the front of the hotel we were pointed in the right direction, unfortunately the parking is managed by Wilson Parking so it is horrifyingly expensive for one night, $30. Check-in was a smooth and simple process, it was a bit slow but nothing I could not deal with, there was no real explanation to any deposits I was paying by the person serving me but fortunately I had read about everything I would pay. Moving onto the room was very nice, it was a River Suite on the 22nd floor, it had one of the most amazing views I have ever seen in a hotel. The room was setup very nicely with a seperate lounge with a decent sized television and also a seperate bathroom, overall I have no complaints about any of the furniture in the room at all, the en suite bathroom was also nicely sized. Obviously being a 5-star hotel the food is much, much pricier compared to if you were to walk 5 minutes down the road to a pub/restaurant, though again this was expected so no complaints here. Finally the entertainment on the TV was quite good, decent selection of channels and movies, though I have never personally been a fan of these IPTV setups.

Overall my fiance and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Pan Pacific, and if the need arises we would definately stay again, just wish everything in Perth was not so pricey.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
GrantRaubenheimer, General Manager at Pan Pacific Perth, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
Dear ItzEddie
My thanks for your review and am happy that you felt our hotel is worthy of a repeat visit. Our River Suites do receive such great comments about their sweeping views of the Swan River with some overlooking Kings Park and the City Centre and I am very happy you felt these views were the best you had experienced in any hotel. We do look forward to welcoming you and your fiancé back soon and again my thanks for your positive comments.
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

We stayed here and had our rooms stuffed up and were lied to and treated terribly. We were told on checking out that management would be in contact, a month later we havent heard a thing despite emailing THEM as well for resolution.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Megan C
My thanks for your review and my sincere apologies that there seems to have been an issue with your booking. I have not received any notification or correspondence about your stay, but, would value you contacting me directly in order for me to be able to investigate the situation and put a resolution in place.
Kind regards
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Hotel is well looked after and rooms are to a high standard. Staff are always friendly. Gym is good for a hotel and outside space is nice. Bar provides cheaper menu if u don't want to pay restaurant prices. Exec rooms are excellent. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2011
GrantRaubenheimer, General Manager at Pan Pacific Perth, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear Christopher M
My sincere thanks for your review and I am pleased to note that as a regular guest, we continue to deliver on our friendly five star service. Thanks for the highly recommend comment, a very common sentiment for our Pacific Club rooms and the hotel overall. We do of course look forward to welcoming you “ home” to once again enjoy the Pacific experience.
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

On a business jaunt at the moment around various different states. Being my first trip to Perth, I left it up to the work travel person to book accommodation close to where I needed to attend meetings.

A long, crowded and delayed flight from the east coast, long delays on baggage and huge wait for a cab. I just wanted to have a quick rest and freshen up before I had to show up for my first meeting.

Arrived at the hotel and the door staff were fantastic, collected my bags and took my name to have them taken to my room.

Enter the nicely laid our foyer and join the large check in queue with 1 staff member at the desk ( a tip would be to look at cross skilling your staff, so that you don’t have 2-3 staff members standing around the concierge desk having a good time whilst one person struggles to check in a massive line of clients.)

Finally get to the head of the queue, to be told my room is not ready yet (just after 1pm local time) and was advised to take a seat in the lobby, I asked how long the wait would be as I need to be in the office shortly, I was told “not sure” I enquired if I take a seat would it be 30 minutes or 60 minutes? I was told maybe 3pm.

I went into the office and got what I needed to do done and then returned after 3pm. Waited in yet another line whilst two staff members struggled to clear the queue. Huzzah my room was ready.

I get up to my room on the 16th floor overlooking the Novotel. First glance at the room I was not sure what rating it had. The room was quite small and bathroom even smaller. My bags had not been delivered to my room, so I had to call down for them.

In the mean time I went to have a look at the bathroom and first thing to jump out at me which I didn’t think to take a picture of was the build-up of soap scum that had been dripping off the soap holder and down the tiles behind it, and I’m not talking it wasn’t cleaned properly from the previous occupant, I’m talking it looked like it had not been cleaned since Pan Pacific took over from the Sheraton. YUK !!!! Bath is now out of the question. There were also patches of mould forming in the grout in the tiles in the shower/ bath.

Really tired from my long day I wanted to take a nap. I close the curtains only to see that they are full of holes and let copious amounts of light in from the holes and also from the tops of the curtains. At this point my bags arrive and I ask if it’s possible to be moved to a room with a clean bathroom and curtains that don’t have holes. I am advised to call down to reception.

After being on hold for 10 minutes, I am told it’s not a problem to move me rooms and someone would be up with the new keys shortly. I wait in the foyer with the staff member with my bags and the phone rings in the room, the staff member went in and answered the phone, and he was told to advise me that they are fully booked and I will need to stay in this room for the night and they will move me tomorrow (I am only staying 2 nights so this is not an option).

Being everyone on the east coast has finished for the day, I had to find out what we could do to get me a new room or find another hotel. I spoke with a colleague and they said to try talking to the duty manager, and if they are not able to help our work travel agent has a 24 hr number I can call and see if they can get me into another hotel.

I go down and talk to the duty manager who again tells me that they are fully booked and she has to find an additional five rooms that aren’t ready yet for guest who have arrived. I advised her of my options and she said she will check again and let me know.

A new room was found for me on the other side of the hotel. Bathroom still leaves a lot to be desired and there are holes in these curtains as well, but not as bad as the other room, so I can at least try to sleep.

Try being the operative word, with paper thin walls and doors, you can hear every toilet flush, shower, phone ringing, doors slamming and general conversation as people walk past.

I think Sheraton did themselves a favour getting rid of this hotel from its collection, as it would have me seriously rethinking using their brand again.

This is my first and last stay in a Pan Pacific hotel, and I will be advising the work travel person that there is no way on earth; this establishment is worth the five star price tag we pay for it. Quite frankly I have stayed in better 2-3 star establishments. Even they can manage a clean bathroom, speedy check in and curtains that do their job.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear CanberraMujer
Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. We always appreciate constructive feedback and make every effort to rectify any short-comings, as it is in our best interests to do so and where a mistake is made, we do try and put measures in place to ensure that despite these little hiccups all of our guests leave with fantastic memories. From your comments, there are definitely some areas of concern with the servicing of the original bathroom which will of course be fully investigated as this room should not have been put to ready for sale if as you say there was soap scum on the soap holder. I will also be taking the luggage issue up with our concierge team as your bags should have been placed in your room prior to your return to the hotel so I offer my sincere apologies for this oversight. I am also concerned that you felt the rooms were not soundproofed. Our hotel is over 38 years old and most walls are solid concrete with the exception of our interconnecting rooms where we have sound bafflers in between the doors so I am at a loss as to why you found them not to your satisfaction.
Regrettably I am unable to turn back the clock on your stay but would value the opportunity to speak directly with you in regards to your stay issues in an effort to gain some credibility back in your eyes. I am always saddened when we fail to meet the very high standards we set ourselves and those expectations that our guests have of us – as such I extend my sincere apologies to you for the short comings and despite these I truly do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future where we will indeed do everything we are able to, to make sure that, your total stay form arrival to departure will be to the standard you would expect from a five star establishment.
Kind regards
Grant

Been to Pan Pacific Perth? Share your experiences!