“Great location - but the Qantas crew party hard” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Perth

You added Rydges Perth to your Saves list
Rydges Perth
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   815 Hay Street, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (Perth CBD)   |
Ranked #22 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Winchester, UK
“Great location - but the Qantas crew party hard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I was left with mixed views about the Rydges in Perth. Parts of it are great, and other parts just leave you shaking your head.
OK, start with the good bits: it's in a great location, right on Hay street, with a few good bars just around the corner, and a short walk down to the river. There are great views from some rooms - but also a great view of a building site from others: here's a tip; ask for a room as high up as possible to enjoy the view, and avoid the bar noise at night.
The rooms are a bit dated, with really uncomfortable beds. Great if you like very soft ones, but I prefer it a bit harder, and with a spine that doesn't bend like a banana in the morning. The TV was pretty good: a good solid picture, with the standard channels, all the Sky Sports channels, Sky news, and the Lifestyle channel with endless UK property shows.
The bathrooms are just plain naff. The shower was tiny with a grubby curtain, and with a shower handle that sticks out into the shower. After a few painful contacts with it, I ended up with a bruise on the my thigh that lasted a week. There are some bathroom products, which are woeful: the very poor shampoo had me itching. Avoid.
It claims to be a 4 1/2 star - in fact I would only just give it 4 stars: no real outdoor space, and no pool either: a must in Perth at the end of a long hot summers day. Then again, it was amazingly cheap - no other 4 star hotel in Perth came close to match the price at short notice. This is either a good thing, or a sign of a struggling hotel.
The bar is, by contrast, actually OK: the beer is a bit pricey, but I saw a few non hotel guests come in, which is always a good sign. Here, however, is the hotels downfall. It is used by Qantas to overnight all their crew (the hotel adjoins the main Qantas HQ building in Perth) and at night they can get a little wild, shall we say. I hope none of this lot had to get up and drive a plane the next morning. Hopefully they get a discount on the food, which is amazingly expensive - don't eat in the hotel, instead just opposite are the Belgium Beer Cafe, and the King street cafe, which are not only much cheaper, but quieter with more atmosphere.
In short, the hotel is OK if you need an OK hotel at short notice, but only use it to stay in, and eat elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
rydgestradewinds, General Manager at Rydges Perth, responded to this review, June 30, 2010
Thank you for your comments and for choosing to stay at Rydges Perth.
Whilst it was pleasing to hear that you enjoyed parts of your stay we have taken note of the negative aspects for urgent review and action. The Rydges Priority Guest membership scheme is complimentary to join and provides a very generous 20% discount in the restaurant and bar for lunch and dinner or just drinks and a snack.
Dave Pearson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010 via mobile

Fourth stay for business. This time decided to upgrade to exec floor. Nothing special at all....queen rooms don't have anything different to a standard room on lower floors.

Exec lounge is a little basic compared to other brands i've stayed in. Breakfast and canapes are 'light' and bland. Better value to take standard room for $100 less and take buffet breakfast.

Great location though, but still middle of the road. I stay here because of location, gym access and because Perth still lacks a genuinely good world class hotel!

Perth is also a rip off for cafe and eating out options. Melbourne coffee is $3.50 max, I paid close to $5 for average coffee in perth! One wonders if they use unicorn milk....

• Stayed June 2010
Thanks for choosing to stay at Rydges Perth and for choosing one of our Club Floor rooms. The advantages for these rooms include high floor security access, extra amenities, robes & slippers and Rydges Dream beds plus 24 hour access to the Club Lounge with complimentary Continental Breakfast and evening drinks & canapes between 5.30pm and 7.30pm. The Club Lounge has recently been fully refurbished with bespoke furnture and fittings.
Perth Western Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

What a great hotel, I really enjoyed my 4 nights at this property. The Hotel would be in one of the best locations for the city for business or leisure. I arrived in the evening and was checked in very speedily, booked a Executive King room and was really happy with the room. They really quite roomy that was spotlessly clean. The bed was fantastic I think its there own system like the westin heavenly system or something. The TV was a nice sized LCD with the standard channels. The bathroom was spotlessly clean and quite liked the Organic bathroom products (australian made). The room really was flawless I think fairly newly renovated and i did like the normal minibar products on offer (twisties & nat confectionary co). The hotel delivered two papers to my room each day (west & australian) fantastic.

I really cant think of a better hotel in Perth I was really impressed. The hotel is more suited to the business traveller as it is a inner city property without a swimming pool etc. Anyway I look forward to staying there next time I am in town.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your great feedback about Rydges Perth and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
SCOTLAND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night after cruising from Brisbaine to Freemantle. The staff on reception were pleasant but only just, The internet did not work (probably because the computer was ancient) and there was no-one available to fix the problem.
The room was very basic and in need of a make-over; very drab, I thought. But the real problem was the noise from the elevator, our room was right next to it and I hardly slept at all. When I mentioned it to the receptionist in the morning she just smiled and said "oh yes, that's a noisy room".
To be honest we chose the hotel for the location as we wanted to be right in the heart of things and we were very happy with the location. We live in Scotland and only visit Perth once every four or five years. Next time we'll try another hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
rydgestradewinds, General Manager at Rydges Perth, responded to this review, June 14, 2010
Thanks for choosing to stay at Rydges Perth and whilst we are delighted you enjoyed the excellent location it was disappointing to read of the problems you encountered. I have discussed these with my management team for urgent attention and we hope to welcome you back when you return to Perth in a few years.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

In Oct 08, after my hubby and i cancelled a cruise we had almost paid off after finding out I was pregnant and subsequently would be too far along to cruise. We lost alot of money. I then sadly miscarried a few weeks later. Too late to rebook. We saved up again and decided to head for WA as both os us had never been there.
We saved up alot of money and decidied after our year to splurge. and that we did. We spent the first 2 nights in the Intercontinental Club room (which was amazing by the way).
After going on a 3 day tour down to Margaret River, our bus dropped us back at the Rydges around 1030 at night. We were absolutely exhausted and very dehydrated from such a hot day. I had an absolute raging headache and felt so unwell. When we arrived, no one at the desk was very interested in us. They seemed like they were more interested in having a quiet night for themselves.
From the description I had read online, I expected amazing views and luxury from our lvel 16 club room. We had a great view of the probably lvl 16 of another office building. The bed was ok. The decor in the room was nice and had a luxurious feel. We were excited to test out the club room the following night after we had often stayed in club rooms. Needless to say, the staff member was snobby. There was limited canapes available and a very small beer/liquor choice. I was very disappointed by the room service menu. I really wanted just something basic. After our busy days (we stayed 6nights in that room) of gallavanting around Perth and its surrounds, we didnt feel like going to a restaurant.. the menu was expensive and very limited. One night, all I felt like was some stickydate pudding or chocolate cake etc with some ice-cream. I was told they didnt have either. I still fail to understand how they could not have ice-cream in a 4.5star hotel. I could have cried.
On our last morning, we decided to test out the buffet breakfast. We paid almost $30 (from memory) each for brekky. Over half of the servers were empty, some of them were not refilled in the time we were there. There was not cutlery available, even after we asked, we still waited another 5minutes, after our food was on our table. My husband ordered a coffee which never arrived. We saw so many others walk out.
After a few disappointments we just felt let down. To me, the club room was just like a standard/ perhaps a superior. But definitely not worth the club money, which was over $300 a night. I was quick to fill out the visitor feedback form which I left with reception. I received a phone call from the General manager a week or so later. who was keen to listen to my concerns and disappointments. He offered us a complimentary upgrade next time we stayed which was within 12mths. He did post the letter out a few days later. But we knew we wouldnt be getting back there for years. especially after finding out 4 weeks later I was pregnant again. ( I really needed that ice-cream. lol)
i would stay there again as a just a regular visitor in a standard room if i wasnt fussy. the rooms were nice and comfortable enough. Just not what i expected for 6nights of my belated honeymoon. We did wish we had stayed at the intercontinental because it was meant to be a special event,.
The location was also fantastic, only a short walk into the main shopping st (less than 4mins)- It was handy to the train station as well. Great for those after the nightlife.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
rydgestradewinds, General Manager at Rydges Perth, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience about Rydges Perth and since your visit a while ago we have made a number of significant improvements.
I am pleased to advise that our team members now receive advance training in high profile customer service and this is an ongoing process to ensure that where possible our team members strive to exceed customer expectations. Our Club Rooms now have very comfortable Rydges Dream Beds and our Club Lounge has been fully refurbished with bespoke red leather sofas and arm chairs, new carpet, striking wall muriels and sleek marble surfaces. We have a team of friendly and efficient Club Lounge hosts serving breakfast and a much improved selection of evening drinks and canapes from 5.30pm - 7.30pm.
Our latest Room Service menu is extensive and features most items from our popular restaurant menu as well as a variety of delicious ice creams! We also offer homestyle special dishes on certain evenings.
Our breakfast service and variety of food and beverage on offer is much improved from your last visit and we have a wonderful newly refurbished restaurant to provide this.
If you do manage to come back one day please let me know and I will gladly honour the upgrade offer previously made to you.
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

We were a little concerned arriving friday evening at all the youngsters milling round nearby bars and clubs but there were no problems and the hotel is in an ideal location for river front ,ferry to Freemantle, trains,bars and retaurants. staff were friendly and rooms were spacious , clean and comfortable. Internet access price high but go to local internet cafes. Would stay here again

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thanks for choosing to stay at Rydges Perth and for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

I chose to stay at the Rydges for the night before my wedding and for my wedding night itself. It was a great choice. I spent the first night in a superior room and apart from the bed being a little too soft for my liking, couldn't fault it. They made sure my wedding dress was looked after and recommended where I could hang it.

Then, the morning of my wedding, I needed to check out of that room and check into the King Club Suite where I would be getting ready and eventually spending my wedding night. As it was very early, the room wasn't quite ready, but they assured us it would be vacated, cleaned and ready for us within an hour while we had breakfast - and it was.

Coming back that night with my new husband, they added a delightful touch of a box chocolates thanking and congratulating us, as well as a sprinkling of heart-shaped chocolates in red foil over the bed. Very romantic!

Next morning, the Club Lounge attendant very kindly let us in to have a late breakfast just as the Club Lounge was closing - much appreciated!

Rooms could perhaps do with a lick of paint, but you really don't notice it, and the fantastic service from the staff, who really go above and beyond, more than makes up for it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Rydges Perth.
It is always encouraging to hear positive feedback and to know that our team have made an extra effort to exceed customer expectations.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back one day.
Dave Pearson

Been to Rydges Perth? Share your experiences!