“Vastly Overpriced hotel of average quality” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Perth

You added Rydges Perth to your Saves list
Rydges Perth
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   815 Hay Street, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (Perth CBD)   |
Ranked #25 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Aberdeen
“Vastly Overpriced hotel of average quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

In my opinion, a VERY expensive hotel either has the quality to back up it's pricing structure, OR it is taking advantage of it's paying guests.
Unfortunately, in Rydges case, it was the latter.
Admittedly there was a conference in downtown Perth, but to charge the equivalent of £270 sterling a night, (not including breakfast) and then charge for WiFi and bottled water in a VERY average room is absolutely unforgiveable!!
They will not have my custom, or anyone associated with me in the future.
Location is very good, but quality of furnishings in room equate to nothing better than any of the Holiday Inn Express type hotels.
VERY disappointed at their efforts to make a short term gain by raising prices massively.
I only write reports when either very pleased or very disappointed and so it is evident I was NOT impressed!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GraemeRutherford, General Manager at Rydges Perth, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Oilman,

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. I apologise you felt you did not receive value for money. There was indeed the annual Oil & Gas Conference being held in Perth and whilst our rates were higher than normal, we certainly did not offer rates out of line with similar hotels in the Perth market. We do hope to give our rooms a makeover later this year and I offer my apologies if you had a less than satisfactory stay.

I do hope the staff offered service you expected whilst our guest. Should you ever return to Perth I would love to make up for what you encountered and offer that you contact me directly if you would be willing to allow me to do so.

Graeme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The location was amazing. Right next to central station.
The staff were very welcoming and helpful. One receptionist even spent a few minutes helping us find a bar that would be open early on a monday morning for the Superbowl.
The rooms were very comfortable and clean.
However, by principle I have issues when hotels charge an arm and a leg for internet access. It was $15 to use the wifi for the full day. For this reason alone I probably wouldn't stay at the Rydges hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Mags,

Thanks for the positive feedback about the hotel & staff. Sorry about your wifi thoughts - rest assured we are giving serious consideration to this aspect of our services.

Thanks again for posting - if you are staying again, please sign up to our free loyalty program - this gives you 50% off internet charges.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed here for the weekend in February as we were going to see Bruce Springsteen at the Arena. (10 min walk ) Checked in on Saturday about 2.30 and checked out Monday at 11.00.The staff are very friendly and helpful, put us on the third floor as I don't do heights. Had a double room. It was clean and tidy, bed was super comfy and clean. If I am going to be picky..... the bathroom grout had a bit of mold in the corners as with most hotels. The cabinet that holds the bar fridge in it needs new hinges as it was falling off, but thats any complaints I had. Theres a bar and restaurant downstairs which seems to always be busy, you are right in the middle of Perth any number of bars, cafes, shops and restaurants you could want ! all in strolling distance. The Apple shop is across the road if you want some FREE wifi. The perth cat buses will take you around the city to different places all free so check them out. If you want a friendly pub turn left when you leave the hotel and stroll 3mins to Shafto Lane to Durty Nelly's for food music and drinks. Check in and out was fast, they held our cases till we were ready to leave in the afternoon, All in all a perfect spot in Perth.

Room Tip: As always just ask, I don't do heights or Lifts well, so just ask for what you want.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Diane,

Thanks for the great feedback and for staying with us while you were in town. Hope the concert was as good as you hoped and great shot of The Boss you posted also.

Queensland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Check in was fast, location is prime. Very good standard for Perth and Rydges beds are so comfortable. Found the room to be narrow and long as opposed to the normal square shape of hotel rooms but that was not an issue but decor was very bland and beige. Room was very well equipped with all essentials but pretty basic. Room was spotless and although I was near the elevator it was very quiet. Plenty of fluffy towels and decent water pressure. Staff were incredibly proffessional and efficient. Room service order of chicken caeser salad should have been much better for the price. The addition of chicken was almost like them opening a can of "chop chop chicken" and mixing it through. It certainly wasn't a great caeser salad and I found the in room dining menu expensive and limited.

I would stay again due to location, comfort, peace and value.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Andy,

Thanks for the feedback and for staying with us. Appreciate the positive nature of your comments and will pass onto the chef your thoughts on the Caesar salad.

Thanks again for posting

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

First and foremost, the location of the Rydges Perth is unbeatable, right near the mall and many office buildings, cafes and boutiques. There is also a CAT bus stop nearby (free inner city bus). The Rydges would be my first choice when staying in Perth again. The rooms are slightly better than the Holiday Inn across the road, and the service from the front desk is much better (in particular Nigel (the manager?)).

The beds and pillows were slightly soft for my liking (but I prefer a firm mattress).
As per other reviews, the rooms are a bit tired but still clean. The bathroom was very dated, with grout marks around the bathtub. There is a good selection of TV channels available. The room layout is not very practical eg the location of the power outlets.

I did not try the room service or breakfast buffet - there is no need to, as the hotel is surrounded by nice cafes and restaurants.

I think the Rydges is slightly more expensive than other hotels in Perth, but after taking into account commute times from hotels located further away (cab fares etc) it works out to be a comparable cost, for the rate I paid.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Many thanks for your comments and for choosing Rydges for your recent stay in Perth. Appreciate the points you mentioned and will certainly pass on your kind words to Nigel our Front Office Manager. I do hope we see you back in the future.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed for 3 nights in an Executive King Room (room 1412) on the 14th floor and was glad I chose to stay here. The location is great, the rooms are quiet and clean and the staff are friendly and polite. The decor in the room is dated and bathroom is dated, but the room was well maintained and spotlessly clean. The bed was very comfortable and soft, I slept really well. The blinds in the room block out the light really well, so if you like sleeping in a dark room or if you want to have a nap in the day you'll be happy.

I joined the priority guest rewards program for free and had half price internet during my stay. I also requested the complimentary late check-out as my flight home wasn't until later in the afternoon, so I was able to checkout at 1pm, which was very convenient.

The only part that I felt could be improved on was the water pressure and the shower head. The shower head must have been a water saving one and the water pressure was low. It took a long time to wash my hair and it took a very long time to fill the bathtub.

In general I was very happy with my stay here and would recommend other people visiting Perth stay here too. I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Join the priority guest rewards program for free on the Rydges website. You will get half price inte...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
GraemeRutherford, General Manager at Rydges Perth, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Many thanks for your detailed comments. Pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us. Appreciate the observations you mentioned and I do hope we see you back at Rydges Perth in the future.

Graeme.
Wisemans Ferry, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

The hotel is very well situated but a few problems made this not the best of stays! We stayed in room 1012.
Housekeeping did a bad job of cleaning the room. Particularly the bathroom. There was hair on the floor of the shower and the corners of the bathroom were not properly cleaned.

The thing that really settled it for us when the people in room 1011 got really "active" in bed and the wall between their bed and ours was shaking so much that it shook our bed and woke us up. This happened two nights running. We reported the "structural" problem with the wall to reception and they said that they would look into it.

But as I said, the hotel is in a great location right in the middle of most everything.

Room Tip: Don't let them book you into room 1012!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your comments and also for providing the room number so I can check on the points you raised. I hope this does not stop you from staying with us again in the future.

Graeme

Been to Rydges Perth? Share your experiences!