“Decent, nothing to rave about ... except for its location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Perth

You added Rydges Perth to your Saves list
Rydges Perth
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   815 Hay Street, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (Perth CBD)   |
Ranked #25 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Singapore, Singapore
“Decent, nothing to rave about ... except for its location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Convenient location, everything within walking distance ... business, shopping, restaurant, even a theatre next door. Easy transportation to Freo.

Room average, clean, simple, sufficient ... no WIFI.

Breakfast decent ... but after 5 days eating the same thing, it gets boring.

Friendly staff and prompt service.

Overall a decent stay, nothing memorable. Blame it on the Australian dollar if one doesn't feel getting his money's worth.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GraemeRutherford, General Manager at Rydges Perth, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Rinjani,

Thanks for the feedback and for choosing Rydges for your needs in Perth. I appreciate what you had to say and also the comment regarding a lack of Wifi in the guest rooms.

I am pleased to advise that we are almost finished installing a new fast internet solution to the hotel. This cabled and wireless system will go live on the 18th October. We very much look forward to this long awaited service to our guests, in allowing wireless internet in all areas of the hotel.

Thanks again for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor.

Graeme.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
The West Country
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Ok here is the good stuff. Located in the heart of the business district and very short walks to all of the big O&G clients in Perth. 10 minute dead easy walk to the Perth exhibition centre. Short walks to rail links which are excellent. Plenty of restaurants and bars nearby but Perth goes to bed very early in this part of town. Even the hotel bar was closing up at around 10pm. Checking in was extremely efficient (less than two minutes) as was checking out, and the rooms were clean and tidy.Reception staff and housekeeping are great. very polite, cheerful and helpful. Downsides - very expensive like every hotel in Perth. The prices are outrageous but they have very high levels of occupancy so can charge the prices. Book early to avoid disappointment. Internet connection is via ethernet only in the rooms which is complete rubbish (docked one star for this one). I think you can get wifi in the foyer but what good is that if you are relaxing in your room? The restaurant is a cafe type affair and looks very nice at night when the interior lighting is on - quite funky. However the furniture is a little shabby and cheap. Needs updating. Staff behind the bar a bit sulky whn they cleaning up and you want a drink. Breakfast is ok with a good selection of hot food. Coffee poor.No fitness centre which was also disappointing but in fairness you do get free access to the place next door which is pretty good. So lots of good points but a couple issues that let them down. If you can get over the wifi thing assume it's a four pointer and not three!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GraemeRutherford, General Manager at Rydges Perth, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thanks for the detailed feedback from your last stay with us - the good and the bad. I appreciate all of the points you raised. Although not a solution during your stay, I am pleased to advise that we are almost finished installing a brand new internet solution within the hotel. We expect to GO LIVE with this new system from 18th October 2012. And yes I am pleased to say this fast system will offer both cabled and WIFI access throughout the entire hotel - including all guest rooms.

Naturally the WIFI capability is overdue - however it is exciting to finally have this solution available for our guests.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor.

Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

It is a true four-star hotel with all nessesary fasilities and aminities. I had read some negative references about this hotel before the trip and was glad to see that they had improved. First, the front desk was very helpful and friendly. I was a "difficult customer" this time, asking for assistance several times, and they were ready to help. The concierge was very knowledgeble about the sightseeing and gave us several helpful hints. Second, the hotel is very clean in every corner.
One negative feature - the windows don't open - but the staff can't change it of cause.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Swallow2

Thanks for your great feedback and for acknowledging the work of the front of house team. I agree it would also be great to have opening windows, however this won't be possible going forward.

I hope your travels bring you back to Perth in the future and that we can cater to your needs again.

Hobart, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Perth is well known as being one of the most expensive places to stay in Australia, however this place is not worth it. Rooms are typical Rydges...clean, small, few trimmings. I arrived late and left the following morning for the entire day, and didn't return until after 6:00pm. The room was not made up despite having the service room sign hanging on the door all day. Upon informing the reception desk the polite and smiling receptionist immediately changed her manner. There was no way the room would be serviced and only after some discussion I finally managed to get a disgruntled young man to bring up two hand towels and some shampoo. Checking out next morning tended to maintain the receptionists manner. No mention of sorry'' or mistake'' or even some sort of compensation. Sorry Rydges...You don't get what you pay for here. The place over the road looks to be better value.

Room Tip: Go across the road.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ian,

No excuses here - I do apologise for your room not being serviced as requested and for the opinion you had regarding the service from reception as a result. I hope you may give us another chance in the future. If so, please get in touch with me directly and I will take care of your requirements to ensure a much more favourable experience.

Graeme
Mandurah, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our hotel experience at the Rydges was great, the reception staff checked us in a quickly and smoothly, we were offered help with our luggage, staff seemed very helpful and friendly. The room itself was very clean and comfortable, and had everything we needed. We ate breakfast in the CBD restaurant and while it was quite slow coming, we were apologized to and given a free coffee while we waited, and the meal was good.
Upon checking out I phoned down to ask that our car be brought around, we then checked out and sat to wait. After 30 minutes from the time I'd asked for the car we asked what the hold up was, to be told they couldn't find my car. This was said while the staff member laughed, no apology was offered and we were told "it must be there somewhere". We sat to wait again and a reception staff member came over to finally apologise for the confusion and offer us breakfast or coffee while we waited. Meanwhile the valet parking staff were still whispering and making jokes about the missing car, right in view of us. Finally we went out and checked where I'd parked the day before, and the car was still sitting where I'd left it, out on the street. I was quickly given a refund for the parking and escorted to my car, and told the manager would be in touch with me to apologise, it's been 4 days and still haven't heard from them. It left a sour taste on an otherwise pleasant experience, the misplaced car I can allow as a mistake or oversight but the giggling, joking parking staff were very inappropriate and unprofessional.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Meagan,

Many thanks for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. I appreciate the positive comments you made. However I do sincerely apologise for the issue you mentioned with regards to valet parking. Obviously mistakes can happen, however the feedback you provided regarding the attitude of the porter concerned is not the Rydges standard and I will of course follow up on that to ensure it does not happen again for future guests.

Thank you for choosing Rydges - and I hope we can cater to your needs again in the future.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Thank you so much to the most amazing staff at the Rydges Perth. You were all so amazing and so helpful with out you our wedding day would have never have been so easy and enjoyable.

Our rooms were amazing, really clean, great beds, huge bathroom. GREAT PRICE

Anything that we needed the ladies at reception were more then happy to help with!!

We will be back at the Rydges as soon as possible and I know we wouldn't bother looking at any other Perth hotels.

THANKS SO MUCH, See you soon.
Sarah H

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GraemeRutherford, General Manager at Rydges Perth, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Hi Sarah,

So happy to see that the staff made sure your wedding day went well. Thank you for the fantastic feedback. I hope we see you back again soon at Rydges Perth.

Bunbury, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I loved my stay at the Rydges in Perth, great price, great service, friendly staff, those beds are just sooooooo comfy can't wait to come back and experience it again. so glad I'm a Priority GuestRewards member because I think it will be getting used a lot.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Carmen,

Thanks for your great feedback. Looking forward to having you stay again soon.

And don't forget that those "sooo comfy" beds (our Dream Bed) can be bought online via our website if ever you need to replace your own.

Graeme.

Been to Rydges Perth? Share your experiences!