“Nicely refurbished but tiny rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pensione Hotel Perth

You added Pensione Hotel Perth to your Saves list
Pensione Hotel Perth
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   70 Pier Street | Cnr of Murray St, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (Formerly The Pensione Hotel )   |
Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“Nicely refurbished but tiny rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed at the Pensione Hotel (Standard Double Room) for business on the recommendation of my company travel agent. My comments have all been said before by others.

The good:
- Cheap for Perth (but still overpriced)
- Newly refurbished hotel with smart, neutral decor
- Comfortable bed
- Close to the Murray St Mall
- Staff are helpful and available 24 hrs

The not-so-good:
- Tiny, Tiny rooms. Smaller than most budget London hotels I've stayed in.
- No room for a suitcase. Seriously, anything bigger than carry-on will block the hall.
- No space to work. There is a small desk return but you have to sit on the bed to work
- No drawers. There is a cupboard for a few shirts but no drawer space
- Outlooks onto the roof of neighbouring buildings - not a good outlook
- WiFi is passable ($10 per day)
- Area can be a bit seedy at night.

All-in-all, a comfortable stay but the hotel wouldn't be my first choice for business because of the size of the room and lack of work space. At $250 a night it is cheap for Perth but that doesn't make it good value.

Tip: If leaving early morning, Cabs can be very hard to get between 4am and 6am so book one the night before.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $20-$30 for a premium room with extra space (but still small!)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brett T, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Manly-sider,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am pleased that you found the staff helpful, our location central and the beds comfortable during your recent stay.

As mentioned in numerous review responses we do have larger rooms available at the hotel. Your “Room Tip” is spot on and this is what we recommend for guests who require extra space.
Although for a larger work area I would suggest our Deluxe Corporate rooms.

We would love to welcome you back in the future so you can experience one of these rooms first hand.

Brett Taylor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a week and found it to be a real Perth gem!

The team are friendly and attentive and reception is manned 24 hours, so if any questions arise, they are always there and willing to help!

The location is perfect - right in the middle of town, with trains, buses, restaurants, bars and shopping outlets an easy walk away. There's a great cafe a few doors down serving really good coffee (I forget the name but I got the recommendation from hotel staff so they'll be able to tell you!).

I didn't dine at the restaurant/bar next door but I did find out that it is an entirely separate business, so if any future guests read anything in other reviews about service there not being as amazing as the hotel, that would explain why! Having said that, on the occasions I did enter the bar (I asked for a glass of cold water one day when heading out and too lazy to go back to my room!) the staff were friendly to me. The breakfast set up looked good also.

The hotel was recently refurbished and my room was great! I stayed in a Deluxe Corporate room - heaps of desk space, huge (seriously comfortable) king bed (only downside being I didn't want to leave it for work ha!), delicious rain shower, big LCD TV including Foxtel channels (and so began my shameful addiction to Made in Chelsea and similar trash viewing). All brand-spanking new, stylish, comfortable - what more does one need!? The guest laundry on one level is an excellent addition (especially when staying for a week or so!).

I think of you are travelling to Perth during the week you just have to accept that prices are high, even compared to bigger cities on the east coast (all thanks to 'the boom' as Perthies put it, meaning of course the mining boom). But I tell you, if I'm going to be paying higher rates than other locations, I want a great room and great service and I got it! As a side note, the rates over the weekend were INCREDIBLY CHEAP (WAY cheaper than Sydney, where I live!!). So if you want somewhere to crash on the weekend, this is awesome value!!

I think it's a great find - so many Perth hotels are really tired and none I've stayed in offered this level of service. Highly recommend and will be back :)

• Stayed August 2012
Brett T, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear WAgirlforever,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed, comprehensive and honest review on our Hotel. We are absolutely thrilled you had an enjoyable stay and it is feedback such as this that reinforces our commitment to provide an exceptional guest experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in Perth

Warm Regards

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Double room advertised online as 'cosy for a single traveller' which I was and only stayed overnight for business. This room was the smaller room I have ever stayed in within Australia and I travel extensively and although everything else about the hotel was good, I cannot overlook the size of the room which had to be seen to be believed. I had nowhere to sit or write and when room service arrived I had to eat in bed. Wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: Check your selection of room before booking. Online booking service doesn't describe how small t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brett T, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Therese F,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I would like to sincerely apologise that you found your room to be small. It is disappointing that we did not get the opportunity to show you our larger room types as I am positive one of these would have been more suitable to your needs particularly our Deluxe Corporate rooms. These rooms feature a large work desk, luggage storage and are more spacious.

I am thrilled the rest of your experience at the hotel was positive.

Should you be returning to Perth in the future please contact the hotel directly as we would love to welcome you back and accommodate you in a more suitable room.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just stayed at the pensione in Perth. Everything was fine. As mentioned in other posts the rooms are small but clean and perfectly adequate for a one night stay. The receptionist was friendly and helpful. We paid $44 for breakfast for 2 at Miss Mauds just over the road from the hotel, a saving of $18 on the walk in price. Parking is limited and we had to park in wilsons car park which is a very short walk away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brett T, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear DebandStev

Thanks for your review.

I am thrilled that you found the size of your room adequate during your one night stay. For longer stays our Deluxe Corporate and Premium rooms are ideal.

We always strive to provide the best possible service and are delighted you found the staff friendly and helpful and I have passed your kind words onto the team.

Should you be returning to Perth in the future please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly as we love to welcome back return guests!

Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed one night at the end of September.

The good - convenient to centre of the city - walking distance to shops, pubs and restaurants.
Staff - friendly and helpful even at 5 in the morning when I checked out

The Bad - as previously mentioned the rooms are tiny even when you pay for the next room up. There was lucky if there was 2ft from end of the bed to the wall. Because of this lack of room the ironing board/ cupboard was in the corner and up high above the bar fridge. Do they expect you not to have luggage and want to store it away? From what the taxi driver said it appears they have taken over a hotel from another chain so I guess they are hamstrung by the original build of the hotel when they did the refurb.

The decor to me was ugly. Black and then some more black. Trying to be one of these new "art" hotels but I found it off putting to be honest. Just plain ugly. I guess I could be thankful I wasn't stayong across the road at the uglier looking swedish maid hotel...

The bathroom had a small nasty step up to go into it. I would hate to think how many times people have tripped up going into/out of it

Solid 3 - maybe 3.5 stars but nothing more. Would only recommend for a short stay and only if you cannot get in anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brett T, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear gonefarandwide,

Thank you for your review on our hotel.

I am pleased that you found our location to be convenient and the staff friendly and helpful. I have passed this feedback onto the team.

If extra space is what you prefer then our Deluxe Corporate & Premium Rooms would have been ideal for you. The Deluxe Corporate rooms provide a large working desk and a luggage rack to store your luggage. Our Premium rooms are our largest and feature a sitting area with 2 armchairs and a larger 40” LCD TV.

We have received numerous positive comments about the décor of the refurbished rooms. It is often complemented for its simple and modern styling with just the right amount of furniture to avoid cluttering – especially in our cosy rooms. The colours are quite neutral, and each room has been painted a warm white colour to keep the rooms as open and airy as possible. The contrast in the thick dark coloured curtains create block-out from natural daylight when not wanted. The design choices were not only implemented for aesthetics, but for the guests comfort as well as functionality and practicality for a hotel and of rooms in these sizes. This simplistic design and use of these particular colours add to the charm of the boutique nature of the hotel whilst appealing to a wide range of guests with varied design preferences. I can certainly appreciate that décor and design is a personal appreciation and I am disappointed that you did not find this to be the case.

Should you return to Perth in the future please keep our larger rooms in mind as we would love to welcome you back.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is quite an ordinary hotel for the money you pay. The amenities in the hotel is very ordinary. business travelers better be prepared to bring your own toiletries as shaving kits are not provided even on request although on the hotel website it says the amenities are provided on request. The restaurant closes early and also for breakfast one has to go to a neighboring cafe with a voucher provided by the hotel - not at all convenient. The irony is that you pay close to $270/ night. For ironing facilities you will be directed to to the common laundry area. Although on insisting that these amenities have been included in the price you are paying for the room, with great reluctance it will be sent to your room :) It is a good business for the IGA round the corner as you end up picking up many things from there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brett T, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear SandeepSkydiver,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

The hotel provides shampoo, conditioner, bath gel and soap within the room and additional amenities such as shavers, tooth brushes and shower caps are available at reception on request. Further training has been conducted to ensure all staff are aware of these additional amenities and I apologise that this was not the case during your stay.

My Place Restaurant is run independently from the hotel and provides meals from 11am – 8.45pm seven days per week. Breakfast is provided at the famous Miss Mauds buffet which is 10 metres from our front door and although not within the building is not any further to walk than the My Place Restaurant. The voucher provides you with a discounted rate for the buffet breakfast. You are able to dine without the voucher however this would be charged at full price.

Iron & ironing boards are not provided in our Standard rooms and as you have mentioned we provide ironing facilities in the Guest Laundry on level 4. Ironing facilities are provided within our Deluxe or Premium rooms and unfortunately they were missing from your particular Deluxe Room. This has now been rectified and I apologise for any inconvenience this caused you.

Generally if you book well in advance you are able to secure a great rate. Bookings made within a few days of arrival like yours will always incur higher rates due to the demand for accommodation in Perth especially during the week. On most occasions our rates are better value than comparable hotels in the area.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and should you be returning to Perth please contact me directly so I can look after your next stay personally.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

The pensione has the smallest rooms that I have ever seen in a hotel; barely enough room to swing a cat as they say! However, I payed just over $110 per night and considering the limitations I would consider it great value for money. They location is right in the CBD and walking distance to most locations so that is a major plus.

If a few minor adjustments were made to the room I would rate it as a 5 only when considering the cheap rates. The customer service from the reception staff and cleaners was fantastic.

- The room is so small with no chairs and no room it is only appropriate for sleeping.
- The shower door did not seal properly and water leaks onto the floor.
- The curtains are set too far away from the window and let in too much light in the mornings.
- The fridge is not cold enough to keep a bottle of water cold.
- The bed bows like a hamock and needs more support.
- The car park is small and is only suitable for very small cars.
- The pub downstairs is noisy on a Friday and Saturday night.

This might sound negative but if you are paying a very good rate these are acceptable trade offs in my opinion. If you are paying more than $150 a night I personally would not be very happy at all so take that into consideration when making the booking.

Room Tip: Pick a room above the 4th floor so you dont hear the noise from the pub below if staying over the we...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brett T, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Perth, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear Mathew B,

Thanks for your review.

I am absolutely thrilled that you found the location of the hotel and the customer service from the team to be fantastic. I will certainly pass this feedback on.

Our Standard Double rooms are cosy and compact in size and if extra room is required we do have a number of larger room types available at the hotel.

I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay due to the items you have listed. I have addressed these issues with the Maintenance Manager and we are currently investigating and implementing possible solutions.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel in the future so please contact the hotel directly so we can take care of your requirements.

Warm Regards

Brett Taylor

Been to Pensione Hotel Perth? Share your experiences!