“Avoid this hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Citadines St Georges Terrace Perth

You added Citadines St Georges Terrace Perth to your Saves list
Citadines St Georges Terrace Perth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   185 St Georges Terrace, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (Formerly Somerset St Georges Terrace)   |
Offers & Announcements
Double Bubbles Package
Ranked #41 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“Avoid this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This hotel is terrible and should be investigated by the relevant authorities. The rooms on the hotel website look nothing like the rooms in the hotel, in reality they are dark and dingy and are very poorly maintained. The first room i had (prior to demanding a move) had a broken shower, missing plug, dirty carpet, broken TV, broken lights, chipped and dented walls, dirty bathroom and broken air conditioning. I could not sleep due to the rooms proximity to the the service lane behind the hotel, and ironically the noise of the airconditioning units from the nearby Hilton hotel behind prevented any decent sleep. The second room i was offered featured a similar set of unacceptable faults, although i was advised i was now in a premium room - the only noticeable difference was a flat screen TV (but it didn't work either, so no overall gain). To cap a rubbish stay off I was charged a whopping 3.5% credit card service fee.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms - stay away
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ruthie H, Marketing Executive at Citadines St Georges Terrace Perth, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Hi Chris G,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us at Somerset St Georges Terrace, I appreciate your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that you felt the property was tired and your experience was not positive. We are undergoing a full refurbishment this year however, with all facets of the property being significantly enhanced.

Thank you for filling out the Guest Feedback Form, our Team will be in touch with you shortly to address your concerns.

Somerset St Georges Terrace Perth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel advertises itself as four star and refuses to refund for prepaid nights when its subterfuge is exposed. It is decrpit and dirty and its staff are unhelpful. And it has NO PARKING! in a city in which car transport is essential. It is also extremely overpriced.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

The bad.
1. Room 805 - curtains are torn and very stained. Hotel should make an effort to fix this issue before their proposed renovations. Would be a small price to pay to improve the only view of the outside a guest gets to see from the room.

2. Archaic television - good museum piece to bring back memories of yesteryear. Thank goodness for foxtel go on mobile devices!

3. No water in the fridge, there was a bit of milk though.

4. Room service brekky served on a tray with chipped corners. Understand this is not a 5star hotel but surely there must be a minimum standard somewhere.

5. Internet connection - not good for VPN. Struggled with it and gave up so could not email an important document.

The good. ..
1. Location is good. .However any location in Perth CBD is easily accessible by free CAT buses or transperth buses at no cost to you if you are travelling within the city.

2. Food - good

3. Room size-large for a studio. A good interior decorator would make it even better.

4. Bathroom, towels and sheets - clean and fresh

5. Staff - polite and helpful.

Would I stay here again?

If it was up to me and not at the mercy of our business travel people. ...I woul not stay here. I would pay the extra 10 or 20 dollars per night to be in the other hotels around the corner and along the terrace towards east Perth.

Purpose of visit.

Business.

Wondering......
Why do hotel room pictures on the Internet always show the best but in sharp contrast with reality.......

• Stayed April 2013
Ruthie H, Marketing Executive at Citadines St Georges Terrace Perth, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hello Pilb-FIFO,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at Somerset on St Georges Terrace, we appreciate your feedback.

It is wonderful to hear our location was suitable for your trip and thank you for mentioning the size of our rooms and friendly staff. I will certainly pass along your kind feedback to our Front Office Team.

I am sorry to hear about the state of the curtains and understand the television is old. However you are correct in saying we are planning a full refurbishment this year; once complete our property will be significantly improved.

We are evaluating our internet speed in-line with market expectation; we are happy to say we are one of very few properties in Australia to offer complimentary internet.

Thank you again for your review Pilb-FIFO and we wish you happy travels.

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed here for two nights while on a business trip in Perth and quite happy overall. The room was fairly spacious and clean and free wifi. Breakfast was ok and I was quite impressed with the quality of food for dinner. I was also pleased that the hotel gives access to a decent gym which is a few minutes walk away in the CBD. There are also free laundry self-service machines provided for guests in the basement.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ruthie H, Marketing Executive at Citadines St Georges Terrace Perth, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hello Nsteiner,

Thank you for your review! It is wonderful to hear you had such a pleasant stay with us at Somerset St Georges Terrace Perth.

Our apartments are designed with space in mind to ensure guests have a comfortable stay; and our central location is ideal to experience all the city has to offer. It is always great to receive feedback about guests using our free Wi-Fi; we introduced the service this year to add value to our guests stay. I will pass along your kind words to The Terrace Lounge, thank you for commenting on the quality of the food.

Thanks again Nsteiner for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Somerset St Georges Terrace again soon.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Somerset on a weekday evening for one night. Checked in late and departed early in the morning. Service was friendly, but low on frills. My room on the 7th floor was neat and clean, linen was fresh, bed was firm etc. Judging by the decor, it had not been renovated in at least 20 years. No bathroom products, but everything worked OK. Had continental breakfast the next morning which was fine, although the fresh fruit looked a little dodgy. Overall, this place is OK if you're looking for a clean place to crash for the night.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ruthie H, Marketing Executive at Citadines St Georges Terrace Perth, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Hello Andy M,

Thank you for your recent review and it is lovely to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Somerset St Georges Terrace Perth.

Our downtown address is the perfect location to experience all the city has to offer; next time you are in town we hope you have some more time to explore! We also wanted to let you know that Somerset St Georges Terrace is going through a refurbishment this year and the product will be generously enhanced.

Thank you again Andy M for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Not even the great location can save this place I'm afraid. I was warned not to stay here and I should have listened. The rooms are called 'suites' which is a joke, they're much closer to a university dorm room. The bed was hard as a rock, the TV should be in a museum - have you heard of flat screens? The shower just gets a pass mark. Oh yeah, my room wasn't made up on the last day. Don't even get me started on the buffet breakfast and coffee... Never again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The stars I'm giving are for the good location and being an okay place to stay. I feel that 2 stars is actually quite generous. I stayed at the Somerset for 2 weeks when I first moved to Perth and needed a place to stay while I looked for work & a place to live. My first issue is the wifi. Coming from the USA where wifi is everywhere I think it's greedy and annoying when hotels decide to charge for wifi. I've come to understand it's different here, and didn't really mind paying $100 for one week's worth of wifi anyways. It turns out one week's worth of internet means 50 MB to the Somerset. This is sort of ridiculous, and using the internet to browse gumtree ads for jobs and rooms and google maps to look up how to get places used up all my internet both weeks after about 3 days. Then I had to wait until the week was over to be able to buy more. But honestly $100 for 3 days of internet is ridiculous. I didn't use it for more than a couple of hours each day, and for a hotel where most of the guests were on business trips I would assume they would offer enough internet for people to get their business done. My other big issue was that the water in my shower was always boiling hot, even when I only had the cold faucet turned. Luckily I had a bathtub, but I kept getting little notes in my bathroom about saving water when the maids came in. Another annoyance I can think of (it was almost 6 months ago when I stayed there) was the way they deal with charges to the room. They make you clear out amounts on your card to cover the things you might charge, and then keep leaving you notes telling you that you need to go add more... but then when I checked out... the amount they made me keep clear, or whatever the transaction (not actually charging?) they were doing was called, was like hundreds of dollars more than my actual charges... and I had to pay for them still. I was confused because I had come down and watched them swipe my card about 2 or 3 times but apparently that is all just in case to make sure your card will have enough money when it's actually time to charge it? I don't know, I thought it was pretty weird... I think most hotels have managed with the whole paying off room charges on checkout thing for a long time and it's worked out. Anyways if you just want a good location and a place with a kitchenette this will be fine, but it's difficult if you're going to be spending any actual time inside the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Citadines St Georges Terrace Perth? Share your experiences!