“Don't expect to sleep!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Parmelia Hilton

You added Parmelia Hilton to your Saves list
Parmelia Hilton
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 Mill Street, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Breakfast, WiFi & Wine
Ranked #14 of 57 Hotels in Perth
Australia
“Don't expect to sleep!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

It's Saturday night and there is a party somewhere in the hotel and the music is so loud our room on the fourth floor is vibrating. A complaint to the front desk resulted in us being told that, although they too could feel the lobby shake, there is nothing the management can do about it except change our room. I don't believe there is any place in the hotel that wouldn't be affected by the noise. It's 11pm and we have a very early start tomorrow and all I want to do is get some sleep. I definitely don't recommend this place.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise, noise, noise
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

I've stayed at several of the main hotels in Perth, and often not been very impressed. However, despite some of the reviews, I was impressed by the Parmelia Hilton. The hotel is quiet. The location is unsurpassed for downtown Perth - whereas some hotels are quite a walk/short taxi ride away. The staff were pleasant, from start to go. And the rate I paid was reasonable. Yes, this is a hotel built 40 years ago - but the room I was in had been nicely renovated, and had some charm that more recent constructions lack. The fact that airline crews (who need their rest) stay in a hotel always means something to me - and I saw several during my stay at the Parmelia. If you need to be in central Perth (for example, for a convention or business meeting), this may be the hotel you are looking for!

• Liked — The central location and understated but welcoming service
  • Disliked — Older TV set
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

We stayed at this hotel 4 times over a period of 4 weeks.

The rooms varied from atrocious (I'm assuming it was the original 70's room that has never been renovated and they may think it is retro trendy to keep it this way) to above average (renovated within the last 10 years).

When we checked in to our room there was a mighty big cockroach outside out room (see the picture) and when we checked out the cockroach was still there even though our room had been cleaned three days in a row as with all the other rooms on our floor.

The best thing that Hilton could do with this hotel is demolish it.

Hilton should be ashamed to put their brand on this hotel.

We got better value at a three star hotel in Perth than we did at this Hilton.

• Liked — Buffet breakfast was very good
  • Disliked — The pool was dreadful
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

We got a great deal through wotif at this amazing hotel which we found out a few days before our stay was the first 5 star hotel in Australia back in 1968. We were given a complimentary upgrade to a king deluxe room and it was just amazing - very sophisticated and elegant. Great location, just unlucky for us we stayed during a public holiday so the city was especially quiet but very central spot. We didn't use the gym or pool facility but they looked great. The breakfast buffet was extremely good with a huge variety of foods available and it is clear they look after international visitors very well. Staff extremely friendly and professional - would definitely want to stay there again. Apparently they're undergoing an extensive renovation also, we saw the beginnings of that on the work happening outside so can't wait to see when finished.

• Liked — Pure elegance
  • Disliked — That we were only there one night
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

Stayed in Perth about 8 weeks ago, spent most of the time at the Hyatt (awesome hotel) as compared to the Hilton. Tho the hilton is in a better location.

I found the staff, service, all round quality of the property below par. Everything about them was either about cutting corners or trying to squeeze as much as they could out of you.

So i arrive early (noted in my res), I had a larger $7k+ booked hilton event booked at the hilton starting that day - I came suited and wanted to leave my bags in the room, I called the night before and also when I made my reservation and res notes. They said - we have no room for you. I said i'm happy anywhere. they said no. Come back at 10am. So I did.... still no room, they said they'd meet me at the function room 30 mins later with keys... no such thing... come 2pm, still no checkin, so about 4pm, they let me checkin - after having to go back to the desk and wait for 45 minutes... are they serious??? seems they are!

HH Gold - no upgrade, no b/fast voucher, nothing except some fruit (1 apple, some grapes and an old rotting bannana). That was my amenity. I asked for b/fast, they declined. I have never encountered a hilton in australia so adherent to policy. Hilton Bris, Melbourne, ex Sydney properties and Melb Airport are all flexible, friendly and always get a nice warm hearty breafkast plus an upgrade AND an amenity such as Brisbane (always a bottle of champagne, belgium choclates, 2 bottles of water and fruits), Melbourne Airport (fruit and cheese platter with bottle of wine), Melbourne (bottle of wine, water and a hand made dessert of choclates).... . Don't expect much at all from the Perth Hilton (but maybe we're too spoiled at the other hilton properties in Australia as HH Golds). Even though Melb Airport doesn't have an exec lounge - they know how to make up for it - jnr suites with sweeping views of the runway, the cheese, fruit platters and wine and the amazing breakfast in airo.

Meanwhile back at the Hilton Perth - The room card was not coded up for the gym, had to go back and ask. Then the card locked me out of the room when i came back from the gym. The phone service was expensive compared to the hyatt (i believe they charge in increments for the first 15 mins, then it's untimed, that's a first for me getting charged by the increments in an aussie hotel. And a late checkout? keep wishing. OK - we'll give you 30 mins extra. I've never encountered this - all other hiltons in Australia are more than happy if you need to check out at 4pm i've found.

walls are paper thin. tv is old, bathroom needs updating. beds and comfort in bed have a lot to be desired. Really big drop after the quality of the hyatt in perth.

Oh and that event.... they said I wouldn't receive any of the $7-8k in venue hire... because I had to have booked at least 10 room nights. Go figure hilton perth.

for the price (granted I paid for my nights accom there A$270/night), I expected a whole lot more for my queen standard room. Ah well... i'll never be staying here again. It's back to the regency club rooms at the hyatt with great service, great lounge, great pool, and value for money. Occasionally they do have good rates on friday nights. But jeez, I would still not stay there even if I had to rack up a stay, i'd just ruffle the sheets and leave!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

I stayed here for one night while in Perth for work. The hotel was in a good location for work (in the centre of the city, walking distance to main office buildings and shops). The staff were polite and efficient, the room was clean and adequately sized (although the decor was quite dated), and it was reasonably quiet. The bathroom was quite small, with a shower over the bath.

• Liked — Great location, nice room
  • Disliked — Old decor
  • Stayed July 2008
Florence, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

Getting There: While a taxi likely will be a little faster, I would recommend (especially for those traveling solo) taking the Airport City Shuttle, which meets each flight. A taxi will cost about $25 (Australian) each way; the shuttle runs $25, including return. Plus, if your hotel is not the first stop, you can travel through the city and get your bearings.

Rooms: I am a member of the Hilton Honors program, which I have found to be wonderful. As such, I was given a room upgrade upon my arrival. (If you are a member of the program and a room upgrade is not available, the hotel will pay for your breakfast buffet in the morning.) The room was very large, including a king-sized bed, desk, small refrigerator, lounge chair, and sofa. The bathroom was enormous, sporting two sinks, a shower, and a separate bathtub.

Not only the rooms, but the staff made clear why this is a five-star hotel. The concierge and front desk staff were more than willing to answer questions and offer assistance. Because I arrived early and my room was not ready, I left my bags with the concierge; when I returned, I found that he had taken my bags up to my room for me.

As further proof of the staff's willingness to help me, I left Perth for Canberra, realizing only upon my arrival in Canberra that I had left my reading glasses in Perth. Not only had the Hilton staff located my glasses, but they were kind enough to mail them to me via overnight shipping to Canberra. (Yes, I had the staff charge my credit card for the shipping, but to me, it was proof of the Hilton's preparedness to go the extra mile for its patrons.)

Fun: The Hilton is located in the heart of downtown. It is a 5-minute walk to the convention centre, 10 minutes to the wharf area – where one can catch ferries to Freemantle, the zoo, and other sites – and less than 10 minutes to the Hay and Murray Street shopping areas. The railroad station and art museum are about a 20-minute walk.

Food: The hotel has two excellent restaurants, the Globe and the Aldephi Steakhouse. Of the two, the Globe is the pricier of the two, with entrees running about $25 and up. At the Adelphi, entrees start at about $16-17. The Adelphi also offers a nice salad bar. For those on a budget or wishing to eat away from the hotel, there are numerous bakeries and restaurants nearby, including a few across the street.

Fitness: Perth is a beautiful city and very easy city to walk around. If you are looking for a gym, the hotel does have a fitness center, located on the 2nd floor. It offers a pool, two treadmills, two bikes, a rowing machine, and a set of machine weights. The machine weights are old, but they are well-maintained, and a person can work out almost his/her entire body on them. There is also an outdoor pool.

Internet: Be forewarned that internet access in the room is expensive. If looking for less expensive internet, go the Hay or Murray Street markets; internet cafes there run about $1 (Australian) for 20 minutes’ time.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Price of internet and breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Parmelia Hilton? Share your experiences!