We stayed for three days from Feb 1-3 and while we did experience some positives, they were overshadowed by the negatives. I have written directly to the General Manager but didn't receive a response (which is understandable, I realise that senior hospitality staff, and services industry staff in general, staff can be quite busy fielding many queries, complaints etc.)
- The hotel pool is fantastic, clean and sufficiently sized relative to the hotel
- We were delighted when one of the pool cleaners took us out a couple of free, cold bottles of water while we were laying in some serious heat
- The gym facilities were very good and allowed me to keep up my fitness programme while "on the road". Please don't lose the free weights like some hotels have.
- The $300 room hold was a big, unpleasant surprise. We have stayed at this hotel before (Australia Day 2011 I think) and can not recall paying $100 per night. Even after staying at prestigious hotels throughout the world, in New York, LA and Rome, I still can't recall a credit card hold of $300+
- We were told that the reversal of our credit hold may take up to 5-7 days... clearly not ideal at the start of a short holiday break when you need access to funds. Banks these days can do same day inter-bank transfers and credit card reversals so I was perplexed to be told that 5-7 days was normal.
- For the majority of our stay, only one elevator was functional. The result? Long waits in the lift well, and trips up and down the floors with a dozen other people that had no option but to invade your space!
- Our access cards failed twice during the stay. My girlfriend's card wouldn't access the room, and mine failed to get to the gym and outside area a couple of times. Mine eventually worked, but because it was intermittent, we had both our cards replaced.
- We noticed that on one day, our linen was changed, but the pillows were just crumpled up on the bed-head and our glasses from the night before (red wine) had not been cleaned/replaced.
- The beds were OK, but the pillows offered no support and I ended up with a crook neck for the rest of the trip... not fun when driving 1000km+ over the week.
- There were minor mould spots in the shower
- The valet service was hugely inconsistent which is disappointing at $50/day (we don't pay that in many central Melbourne CBD hotels). One of the valet staff was very responsive, pleasant and efficient. Others left us waiting without offering assistance - we had to search them out inside - and then were left to wait a fair time after placing our vehicle request to actually receive the vehicle. Perfectly acceptable in busy times, but it wasn't all that busy at the times we departed each day.
It is a shame that this experience will impact our future accommodation decisions when visiting my family in Perth each year. The location is brilliant and I'm fond of the pool and gym, but I can't risk getting off to a poor start again by staying at the Parmelia Hilton.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review.
Whilst I note there were some great positives from your stay with us, including our convenient location, swimming pool and fitness centre, I am naturally concerned there were aspects that we could have done better and I’m very sorry for your disappointment.
The pre-authorisation of $100 per day for incidentals has been Hilton policy Australia-wide for some time. The credit card hold is usually released very quickly with the exception of international banks which may take a little longer. I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Your comment concerning the pillows is noted and I’m very sorry you found them uncomfortable. For your next visit, you might like to take advantage of our pillow menu on the bedside table which is available 24 hours and offers a wide range of alternatives. We are confident you will find something better to suit you.
Please accept my apologies for any delay experienced in retrieving your valet parked vehicle.
Our guest elevators are being upgrade presently, with one completed and another very close to completion. I am very sorry for delays caused by these works which will offer a far more efficient service once complete.
Thank you again for your review. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Parmelia Hilton in the future.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.