“good old fashioned hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Melbourne to your Saves list
The Melbourne
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   942 Hay Street, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (Perth CBD)   |
Ranked #53 of 57 hotels in Perth
dublin
“good old fashioned hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

A value for money, old world style hotel. staff very friendly & helpful. They had messed up our reservation, but accomodated us with absolutely no fuss at all. very well located. a bit noisey in the mornings with outside traffic & other guest leaving their rooms.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

This is a good hotel, but there are odd quirks. In general, the staff appeared friendly and efficient but awkward.

The Cafe serves a great Eggs Benedict.

That internal room without windows has to go. Claustrophobic.

The bathroom extractor fan is deafening.

The airconditioning (vital in an internal room in summer) in my internal room was too loud, and the LCD display of the remote control was past it, so that the aircon was either too hot or too cold.

• Liked — Friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Internal room with no windows.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mj123_7
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

This place is fantastic, the food was well above average for a bar meal, cafe staff very friendly and the manager on duty (Tim i think his name was) was very helpful in helping point out local attractions
and helped us with everything we needed.

I will be returning to this hotel next time i am in Perth.

• Liked — Very professional manager
  • Disliked — needs a pool
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
U.S.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

As I sit here watching items on my table dance around from the rock concert going on under my room, I wonder where I went wrong taking the advice of Lonely Planet. What seemed a nice hotel on check-in quickly became a joke as soon as we opened the door to our room (#120). Unusually dark due to the drawn shades, I walked over and opened them hoping for some sunlight -- unfortunately, I found a mirror with a small window at the top. The window, however, did not open to the outside but to a conference room adjacent to our room. This particular conference room has had a conference going on in it from 12 P.M to 9 P.M. tonight with a rowdy bunch.

I would advise anyone considering The Melbourne to bring earplugs, a handful of Ambien and a fifth of vodka. Taken together, you should have a peaceful time.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2006

We recently stayed at the Melbourne hotel as we were attending a function in the city.

The hotel is in a very good location, the room was clean, bathroom was spacious.

Decor is a little old now, and I think a lot of the character in the rooms was lost in hotel sameness, not quite what I was hoping for. The staircase and high ceilings are still nice and original, though.

One night some other guests made quite a lot of noise just outside our window, which could have been annoying if I had to wake up early for work or something. Nice to have a door which opened onto a verandah though, so can't complain too much about that one.

We didn't use the room service or restaurant, but ate breakfast at Dome over the road - quite a bit cheaper, and very comfortable leather chairs. The bar downstairs was quite pleasant though, and noise was not a problem.

Car parking was convenient - $10 valet service, and there is a hire car firm right next door.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bland - a bit disappointing inside
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2005

After playing for two weeks in the 2002 World Lacrosse Games, I realized that I'd left a one-night gap between the time I was supposed to leave my apartment, and the time I was supposed to fly back to Sydney and The States. (Doh!)

I'd eaten a couple of times in the restaurant at The Melborne, and was impressed with the incredible staff and the faux-New Orleans architecture, so I decided to spend the night there.

What a great decision! The room was HUGE, with high ceilings and wonderful beds. (The best I slept in in Australia...) The staff was beyond expectations -- after getting back from a late dinner, they actually opened up the bar so I could have a nightcap before I went to bed. ("Mate, I don't care how late it is -- this is your last night in Western Australia, you have a long flight tomorrow, so you're havin' a stubbie or two before you go upstairs!")

When I called the next morning to find out about airport shuttles, I found out that the already took care of that for me, and one was already reserved.

I stay in a lot of hotels. These guys are good.

As for the location, you're right at the top of the Central Business District, or CDB, and a block or so away from Parliament House. Most everything downtown's within walking distance, and what's not, is on the free bus route. Subiaco and Northbridge are long walks, but you'll want to take a taxi, especially if you've been out on the town.

As for the Greater Perth area, let's just say that between the inexpensive taxis and the great bus system, I never needed to rent a car in the three weeks or so I was there. (My apartment was a couple of blocks from The Melbourne, so my whole experience applies...)

The Melborne is reasonably priced (well below the chain hotels just a few blocks away in the CBD). The next time I'm in Perth, I'm going back to The Melborne.

• Stayed July 2002

Been to The Melbourne? Share your experiences!