“very good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Perth

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Perth to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Perth
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   54 Terrace Rd, Perth, Western Australia 6004, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #23 of 57 hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

liked it here in Perth the rooms are nice found to be friendly the board room facilities are good for our business that we needed , spend most of the time entertaining clients in the hospitality industry taking them to other venues for their ideas will come back to do more business ,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Clivep471, Business Development Director at Crowne Plaza Perth, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear MohamedM ,

Like you we always value opportunities to experience new ideas and concepts in our business.Nothing better than shooting the breeze over some genuine hospitality. Delighted you found our meeting facilities worked for you too.

We loook forward to welcoming you back.

347 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have the good fortune to travel in and out of Perth on business and when available, I prefer to stay at this establishment due to the customer service and the dining.

Rooms are nice and spacious, although a bit spartan. Mini-bar is well stocked and replenished as required. The gym is not set up for the serious fitness fanatic but there is a decent YMCA right down the street a few blocks that accepts walk-ins.

Staff is cordial and professional when checking in and they remember who I am and treat me quite well as a result. Restaurant staff provide the same level of politeness and courtesy.

The upper level floors provide a great view of the Swan and green. it is near the CBA and you can walk to most places easily.

One of the best breakfast I have ever enjoyed at any hotel in Asia Pacific, great variety, fresh fruit and an interesting twist on eggs benedict (without bread) that I really enjoy. The manager is quite polite and professional and always makes sure I am being provided for by his staff.

it can be difficult to get a room here at times during the busy seasons, but it is well worth the price if you get in. |One of my favourite hotels in the region.

Room Tip: Upper levels, river view if available.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear GlobalNomadity,

We are delighted you enjoy our breakfast service so much, we trust it sets you up for a great day. Thank you for your comments, we continually look at areas we can improve in and, we will be delighted to accept your candour at anytime; please always let us know how we are going.

Surrey, Uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

As with all Crowne Plaza hotels, in my experience, the beds and pillow are very comfortable, which rates highly for me when staying in a hotel.

The housekeeping staff could pay a little more attention to cleaning each morning, such as dusting the tables and sweeping the balcony.

I stayed for a week in May 2013 for a business trip and had a room with a view of the river. I'd recommend this as the views are great and you also get a balcony, which I don't think you get on the other side.
The main thing I found dissapointing, as I have discovered with others in the chain is the lack of consistency. I am a member of the IHG priority club but I have found that the benefits vary according to each hotel. As a blue member, I am apparently entitled to a free newspaper and late check out. I was never offered a newspaper although I noted (as I have with other Crowne Plazas) that free papers were available in the lobby. How can it be a benefit for PC members if they are available to everyone? The other apparent benefit is late check out. This seems to have been forgotten or ignored when I had the concierge knocking on my door asking when I was checking out, just 20 mins after the 'normal' check out time. He seemed as non-plussed as I when I said that I understood PC members got late check out. It may seem a bit of a moan but whats the point of having these schemes if they don't apply them?

There was a leaflet in the room from the Perth Crowne manager and one of the group directors, extolling the virtues of the IHG group and how they were striving to deliver a consistent experience across the brand, wherever you are in the world. They are a long way from this and I don't quite understand why because it should be a simple thing to implement.
Some have free wifi, Perth charges an eye watering $27 per day! And the signal is not great. In Muscat, you get 2 free bottles of water per day. In Perth, there is a charge (about $5 from memory). There should be a clear process across the whole chain if they want the PCR to be a success and deliver a truly consistent experience. I understand Perth will offer free wifi from July but I don't quite understand why they need to charge until then.
The staff were friendly and efficient and I only had one reall issue. When I checked in, one of my bathroom towels had what looked like a very small spot of blood on it. I spoke to the receptionist who said it would be changed immediately. Sadly it was still there the following day - not great to say the least.

The food is pretty good - I can recommend the Thai beef salad and the Ceasar salad and the beer battered chips are some of the best chips I have ever tasted! I had room service a few times and the food arrived promptly and was hot and tasty - can't ask for much more.

I really liked the location, right next to Langley Park and the Swan River. There's some great cycling and running routes and for any other runners out there, if you run along the river, towards the city, cross the bridge and run back to the other bridge, by the time you get back to the hotel it's dead on 10km, and a really nice run along the river.

Ignore those reveiws that complain it's too far from the city centre. It's an easy walk in very pleasant surroundings, and usually in very nice weather. I walked to the Harbour Town outlet complex in less than 30 minutes.

It's not really fair to comment on the cost of the hotel as all hotels in Perth are crazy expensive. Several of the nights I was there were $340 per night and that didn't include breakfast! On the subject of breakfast, $35 for cooked and $25 for continental - it wasn't great. The buffet items are kept under the silver lids and go soggy as a result. Save yourself a few bucks and try one of the many nearby cafes for a better breakfast.

If I was returning to Perth, I would stay here again, if for no other reason that the location is good, nice views of the river and comfy beds.

Room Tip: go for the River View rooms - great views and a balcony
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Clivep471, Business Development Director at Crowne Plaza Perth, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Twotarts,

I like your handle and thank you for your candid comments. I couldn't agree more as a global traveller identifying with a brand is all about consistency and expectations, I accept we need to work on our promise to deliver on every occasion the same level of consistency we mandate across the globe.Late check out is a privilege extended to our loyalty members, if we were advised you were checking out late (upto 1.00PM) we should have avoided any follow up and you are right in exp-ecting any comment that something will be changed should happen.

We are delighted you enjoyed the location and other aspects of your stay, prices in Perth can seem expensive, we do however have lower cost packages and advance purchase arrangements which can be booked online and may represent more value for you.

Let me know if we can assit further in anyway.

Katanning, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Recently, my husband and I booked into the Crowne Plaza Perth (as we are members of the Priority Privilege group) for a 2 night stay to attend an appointment and then the Cirque du Soleil production.

Our check-in was quick, bright and cheery and within 5 minutes, our car was whisked away by the valet ($29 per day V $3.20/hour ticketed street parking from 8am til 6pm), our room ticket obtained and we were in the lift up to the 9th floor. I had used a 2 for 1 booking voucher which equated to $164.50 per night, however the prices available on discount hotel booking sites such as Wotif are only slightly higher than this. However, our room had a lovely wide balcony with table and 2 chairs overlooking the wide expanse of the Swan River and South Perth which was beautiful to wake up to on a mild, sunny morning in May.

The room itself was sparkling clean and with the move to the whole hotel being non-smoking, there is no residual smell of air-cleaning refreshers to cover the smoke smell. This is a welcome improvement. There is ample storage room and wardrobes, bathrobes and slippers for use while you are a guest, a large full length mirror, nice tea/coffee makings with mugs (not those stupid little cups & saucers). The bed is lovely however, we found the feather & down pillows not to our liking - they go very flat during the night - I guess that is a very personal preference though.

We used the restaurant for breakfast on both mornings of our stay. The first morning, we only partook of the continental offering as we were going out to lunch. This was still very varied in the amount of fruit, cereal, muesli, juices, pancakes and the selection of breads, pastries & croissants available. A very decent self-serve coffee machine rounds out a delicious breakfast.

The second morning was Mothers' Day and naturally, the restaurant was quite crowded, however, the Restaurant manager had it humming like a well-oiled machine and with the addition of extra fruits, lollies and a chocolate fountain as well as a hot selection of delicious eggs in various ways, herbed tomatoes, field mushrooms, beans, bacon, french toast and much more, I cannot imagine anyone wishing for anything more. Beautiful freshly prepared food displayed in appetising ways. A wonderful way to start the day.

The lobby of the hotel has been refreshed since our last stay and is a very homely, comfortable spot to sit and read a paper, have an aperitif or coffee or just while away some time. The staff are very accommodating and friendly, greeting you each time you pass without being OTT. The Concierge fetched our car within minutes of asking for it each time, although on the Sunday, half of Terrace Road was closed off for a Fun Run.

The proximity to the Big Top for Cirque du Soleil is another positive as you don't have to worry about parking etc. We walked to the Hyatt for dinner after the circus and also walked down to the City on Saturday morning to do a spot of window shopping. It is a pleasant 20 minute stroll each way.

Overall, a pleasant stay which ticked all the boxes for what we needed and wanted.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Clivep471, Business Development Director at Crowne Plaza Perth, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Cinnabel,

We are delighted you found your stay at Crowne Plaza Perth 'ticked all the boxes'and you had a wonderful time on this occassion.

We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for sharing your kind observations.

Regards
Halifax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on a business trip to Perth. The staff were excellent but the hotel itself was not well located for restaurants or bars. Parking is limited unless you pay for the hotel valet service. Rooms were a little small and dated. So, OK for 1 night assuming you are arriving early enough to travel to find the restaurants.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear AustenAdams,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Perth. Our concierge may have been able to assist with restaurants located nearby, there are several in the Hyatt Centre next door, and a short walk to the Upper East Side.In addition our in house restaurant provides modern Australian cuisine using fresh seasonal products from the South West.

Let us know if you are returning and we will be delighted to send you more information in advance which may assist in your choice.

Best regards
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I accidentally booked this hotel instead of the Crown Burswood hotel where I was intending to stay. Oh well, it was too late to change so I thought I would soldier on.

I had booked a superior king spa room, on getting to my room I was very disappointed. It looked like something out of the 70's. They do not appear to have done any refurbishment to the rooms to make them more modern looking. For the price I was paying for the room I expected a lot better.

Also, any extras you want you have to pay for. For example, if you want internet you have to pay for that separately, if you want to park your car during your stay, pay for it separately etc....it feels like they are gouging you for every extra penny they can get. Oh wait, because I booked a superior king spa room, I got a free newspaper every morning....Whoop di do!!

Room Tip: If you want class to go with the extra money you pay, then choose another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Clivep471, Business Developemnt Director at Crowne Plaza Perth, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Jim Africa,

We can understand your disappointment when booking another Hotel in error from your original intent. We do however appreciate your comments as they provide us with valuable insight to our guests experience.We do have plans to refurbish our guest rooms and public areas over time. With the additional costs we prefer a user pays approach which provides choice and does not add unnecessary cost for those who may not use our parking services or Internet. If you are a member of our Priority Club Rewards (soon to be renamed IHG Loyalty Club Rewards) program , Internet will be free going forward as an elite member benefit, membership is free.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Although out stay was shortened. Thank you to the management for listening and correcting the disappointing stay we experienced.
The staff here are excellent that we dealt with and very understanding!
Good luck in the future!

• Stayed April 2013
Clivep471, Business Development Director at Crowne Plaza Perth, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Hicksym,

Thank you for commenting on the way in which we could at least acknowledge the issues you experienced as a guest on this ocassion.

In reference to your earlier comment we were aware of the issues you experienced and can only apologies where the situation did not improve in these circumstances at the time. It really isn't good enough and we acknowledge we should have done better. These issues have been discussed at our operations level with a view to make sure this doesn't recur. So sorry you had to experience a level of difficulty we could have mitigated and one which is isolated.

Best regards

Been to Crowne Plaza Perth? Share your experiences!