“Pleasant, convenient place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Perth City Centre

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Perth City Centre to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Perth City Centre
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   778 - 788 Hay Street, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia (Perth CBD)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #11 of 57 hotels in Perth
SHROPSHIRE UK
“Pleasant, convenient place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2006

Friendly, efficient welcome. Deluxe rooms on the upper floors are well-equipped and spacious. Excellent situation on Hay Street, a few steps from the pedestrianised Hay Street and Murray Street malls. Helpful, cheerful concierge helped make this a great place to stay.

The rather barren internal bar area extends outside and is popular with locals but there are more atmospheric pubs nearby.

• Liked — Spacious, modern room and friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Bar area.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

270 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
melbourne, australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2006

Having deceided to fly to perth for the xmas holidays, i didnt know where to start as i hadnt been there before. I deceided on the holiday Inn and would take pot luck.
I was very happy with the hotel.
It was in the centre of perth down the main street.
I couldnt have got any closer. The water was 5-10 minute walk away with horbour cruises departing daily.
Holiday inn was also the main stop with tour buses. Perfect.
the rooms were clean and tidy (we had two double beds).
Foxtel included.
My only complaint with the rooms were poor lighting and not enough towells left. there was 3 of us and they would leave 2 but a quick phone call daily and it was fixed.
We ordered Room service, it was quick and yummy. Exspensive but one of the better. Kids meals cheap and big. Do not order pizza.($20) and crap.
Dinned in for breakfast ($25) give it a miss.Pleanty of cafes at your door step i was amazed, worth a visit.
Hotel staff were wonderful and we bothered them heaps.
I would certainly stay there again.
Happy Holidays.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2005

I spent one night in this hotel when I travelled to Perth for business. I had asked to be booked in at Rydges but someone at work decided to save a buck and put me here instead, as it's only a few steps away.

I have to say that the location is absolutely fantastic, but the hotel is not up to the standard of other Holiday Inns I've stayed in. For some reason I was given a set of two rooms, a double and a single, and was instructed not to use the double room but walk through it to the single. The bathroom was attached to the double room, though, so it was an odd and inconvenient arrangement.

The decor was old and pretty ugly, though it seemed clean. The bed is not uncomfortable, but again, not new and pretty ordinary. Good TV with some cable channels, and the bathroom was also good, with a decent bath and surprisingly nice glycerin soap, as well as the usual amenities. One thing I really like about the Holiday Inn chain is that if you forget something basic like a comb or toothbrush they will provide you with one for free. I didn't have to use that this time, but it was nice to be reminded of it after a recent stay at the Melbourne Stamford where I was charged $5 for a toothbrush that had very clearly been used before (and "sanitised"). There was no mini-bar or fridge in the room, though there were bottles of water on the nightstands for about $5 each.

Check in was reasonably quick and easy, though this might have been luck of the draw, as there is only one attendant at a tiny counter and if there was a queue you could be waiting a while. Check out was a bit of a drama with Reception insisting that the room had not been paid for. I telephoned my office which assured me that it had been paid for. The receptionist would not budge and as I had a plane to catch I paid for the room again. On the way to the airport in a cab I received a call apologising for the error and confirming that the room had been paid for after all. Not impressed. Also, while there was no assistance with porterage etc, a concierge did assist me in flagging the cab.

Room service is not great. There is a limited (hours and range) and expensive selection of meals delivered from the restaurant downstairs, or a similarly limited selection of inexpensive meals delivered in takeaway boxes. I opted for one of the latter (chicken and rice) and it was a generous serve but not particularly interesting and a bit dry. I'd prefer a more conventional selection of meals or snacks at a higher price but available around the clock. Also it would have been nice to have a plate and proper cutlery to eat with.

The hotel's saving grace is the fantastic location. It is right on the Hay Street mall, in the middle of the CBD, five minutes walk from any office you might need to visit (in my case, a government department, a law firm and a tribunal), right across the road from His Majesty's Theatre (where I managed to get a cheap ticket to La Traviata), and also right across the road from a stop for the Perth tour bus which I practically lived on the last time I visited (for $25 a day this bus stops pretty much anywhere you might have been thinking of going in Perth, including the Burswood casino and the discount outlet shopping centre). Also, when I say "five minutes walk", I don't mean a fit young backpacker in Birkenstocks five-minutes walk, no siree, I mean a fat, tired, lazy middle-aged lawyer in a hot suit and high heels with a heavy briefcase five minutes walk. And when I say "across the road", it's a mall, so I really mean about eight steps. It could not be more convenient.

I did not stop for breakfast, but probably wouldn't have had it at the hotel - there are several cafes serving inexpensive breakfasts right on the doorstep. And there's a great bookshop, Elizabeth's, a few doors down the road which seems to be open quite late at night - I was able to browse while waiting for the queue at the theatre to subside.

Overall this is a pretty no-frills operation, but the price suggests a nicer hotel, along the lines of other Holiday Inns. I'm giving it an extra point for the fantastic location; otherwise it would be a solid two. I wouldn't kvetch too badly if I wound up here again,so long as it was just a night, but next time I think I'll try Rydges after all.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Perth City Centre? Share your experiences!