“The friendly atmosphere makes up for some flaws” 3 of 5 stars
Review of One World Backpackers

Save Saved
You added One World Backpackers to your Saves list
One World Backpackers
162 Aberdeen Street | Northbridge, Perth, Western Australia 6003, Australia (Perth CBD)   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Breakfast!
Ranked #15 of 51 Specialty lodging in Perth
Antwerp
“The friendly atmosphere makes up for some flaws”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

The backpacker is situated across a park - nice for lunch, not so great at night with some drunk indigenous occupiers.
The rooms are ramshackled, the people living in them often noisy, but very friendly. So is the staff, which makes up for it's down sides. Free breakfast is a plus!

• Stayed April 2012

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

I have been travelling Oz for a year now and have stayed in many hostels, many good and bad.
I absolutely loved one world simply for the service which is give star, Natalie on reception is simply a gem ;) &Steve the owner is around to help you with anything!
They have a garden, living room with huge TV games consoles a great fire to curl up in front of, internet and guitars for you to play. The hall way is immaculate, my room was great lots of homely touches inside from bedside lamp to dressing tables curtains around the beds and even cost hangers in the lockers room 1 rocked and the girls I met were awesome!
The bathrooms were sooooooo clean and every shower was a hot shower :)!
The kitchen is a decent size with cutlery pots and pans All supplied, microwave toaster kettle even an OVEN other hostels don't have this. There's tea/coffee supplied for free even free breakfast. There's huge fridges to store all your food the kitchen is always clean. Outside has a table area for drinks etc its great.
They also have washing machines / dryers.
It's warm cosy clean and full of nice travellers most people stay along time due to the great wow factor been there, I recommend it to all I will definitely stay again.
For the price you have too choose Oneworld why waste time going to horrible places? Trust me it's the best hostel in Perth!

• Stayed June 2012
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

After being disappointed by another hostel in the vicinity, my experience here was refreshing. The rooms were spacious and clean, and people generally kept to their own spaces. There was a
friendly and relaxed atmosphere (I thought I was back in Albany), and I got to know some nice people. Yeah, the legendary "drinking table" was there but I had no problems with it. The toilets and kitchen were very clean, as they have strict cleaning periods that occur daily. The lounge gave a warm and homely feeling with cable and plenty of movies to pass time. The computers worked well. Although supermarkets are quite far away, the hostel is near to restaurants, pubs, bottle shops, and the train station, but just far away from the associated noise.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

This was the best hostel I stayed at in Australia.
I stayed back in April to June '08, only getting around to writing a review now!
Rooms were fine, I got bedbugs in one, which happens in hostels, and the staff were first rate, got everything out the room, fumigated and cleaned ASAP, and the problem solved.
Staff were mainly backpackers as well, working for their room, and as such they were all happy and friendly, everyone was doing the same thing so no "attitude" from anyone.
The general attitude of the place was laid back, pleasant and friendly.
The staff organise regular events, international food days, paintballing, etc, so if you're on your own it's real easy to meet new people here.
Location is superb, just yards away from the Euro Bar, Black Betties and Rosie O Grady's, so if you like a drink, it's a 30 second walk to get one!
Best thing of all, I met my partner there, we met, clicked, and 4 years later are engaged.
We returned to One World in Nov 2010 to go back to the place we met, and it was just the same, nice staff, nice people, laid back atmosphere.
I'd strongly recommend this place, it has everything you'd want in a hostel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

My stay was generally good with some 'argh' moments.

The crowd is generally into partying quite a lot. There's a table where the drinks don't cease. It's good to be at that table if you love to drink - till late. During my stay, most people would turn in by midnight. Otherwise, there's another spot out front that is quieter and has no drinks.

I could see that some rooms got it worse than others, depending on the location. I got a room at the back, so it was further from noise and I slept well every night. Note: Getting up onto the upper bunk can be somewhat of a challenge due to the absence of a ladder and the bed is wedged tight between 2 walls.

I was in a mixed 6 bed dorm and the cleanliness level was not high. Tolerable though. The ladies toilet and showers weren't the cleanest I've seen but again, tolerable. Kitchen is fairly clean as they do clean twice a day which is good.

I did meet some very nice people during my stay. They made it very pleasant for me and I agree with some reviews on the 'feels like home', 'family' ambiance aspect.

The location is definitely awesome. Just a short walk to all the bars and pubs in Northbridge. The free CAT bus takes you into Perth CBD within a free stops and the bus stop is just 30 meters down the road.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Winterthur, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

That was the worst hostel stay on my whole trip through Australia. My check-in was friendly and helpful but the terror started at night. I`ve never met so egoistic and ruthless guests like there. My room mates were ok and nice but the room was next to the reception on the ground floor and next to the common room. That`s were the terror takes place. I`ve to admit it was much louder on the weekend but it`s also loud enough within the week. Additionally, the cleaniness of the bathrooms was on poor standard (kitchen was ok). I would choose another hostel next time for my stay in Perth. Friends stayed at the YHA Central station and I could have a look. There are worlds in between of these two hostels.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
OneWorldBackpackers, Owner at One World Backpackers, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Hi Katja
Thanks for your review and for your honest opinion. I have to agree that from the period of July 2011 until early 2012 we had a group of guests that did not share our usual and honoured value of a caring, family-like environment. I strongly point out that this was a small but very prevalent group who just did not care about anybody but themselves. Most of our guests were wonderful people. However, as owners it was a very difficult time for us due to the subversive nature of some guests staying at One World. We found it heart breaking. So we can imagine how unpleasant it must have been for you. It makes us sad to know that your time with us was ruined by their behaviour. As a token of good faith and as a step towards regaining your faith in us we offer you free accommodation at One World Backpackers anytime in the future for up to one month. We hate customers going away unhappy. Kindest regards Steve, Andrea and One World Crew.
Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011 via mobile

We stayed in the only double room. There were many seasonal workers and therefor longtime stayers. The kitchen was big but could have been organized better,so despite the size it could be a bit crowded. Free breakfast with cereal and bread, milk is not provided though.

Close to the free blue cat bus, so it was quick to get downtown. Wifi is $4 per hour. The closest supermarket is Coles and not Woolworth as they might tell you.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to One World Backpackers? Share your experiences!