“Is it fair to judge a restaurant by the vegetarian special?” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 52 restaurants in Broome
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Zoo bar and Cafe combines the Old Zoo Cafe and Zeebar into one building. This provides an awesome atmosphere whether you want relaxed dinning out on the deck or Tapas and live music in the bar area. We are open from 7am to 12pm Monday to Saturday and 7am till 10pm on Sundays. We offer Breakfast from 7am to 12pm every day. Lunch from 12pm till 5:30pm and Dinner from 5:30pm till late dialy. Tapas are available from the bar 3pm till 12pm on weekdays and 12pm till close on weekends. There is live Music every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday night.Mondays: Mad Mondays, half price TapasTuesdays: Trivia TuesdaysWednesdays: Members night with live music from 6:30pmThursdays: $12 Pizza NightFridays: After work drinks with Live Music from 9pm Saturdays: Ladies Night, $10 Cocktails in the barSundays: Cider Sundays!
Perth, Australia
“Is it fair to judge a restaurant by the vegetarian special?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The answer is yes when you pay premium prices.
This restaurant was recommended to us during our recent trip to Broome so we chose to eat here on our final evening. We started with the warm bread and dips which were presented without explanation. We determined one to be a pate of some description (not vegetarian) and the other to be a runny yogurt type more suited as a side for a spicy Indian meal. Thank goodness for the olives.
My partner chose the veal special which he found enjoyable. My vegetarian dish was filo wrapped "roasted" vegetables not unlike cubes of frozen mixed vegetables. The accompaniment for both dishes was a mountain of salad greens and limp, oily capsicum slices with no discernible dressing.
The vegetarian dish could have been improved by providing a tasty sauce. It was apparent that little effort had been made in the preparation of this dish and at the prices charged this is disappointing.
The staff were earnest but I agree with other reviews which say the atmosphere was nothing to write home about. There are better places to eat in Broome.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
Port Hedland, Australia
“Decent feed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Nice, but probably won't return. Food was good, not brilliant but pretty nice. Service was a bit off and atmosphere pretty non-existent, although we were there for lunch...

Visited December 2012
Broome, Australia
“Love this place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I go here alot but monday is definetly my favorite day (1/2 price tapas!)...The Arancini and the Barra croquettes are amazing and the wine selection is good too!

Visited December 2012
Korat
“So they know what they're serving?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Perhaps I should have seen the signs; it was in an out-of-the-way location, the place had few customers, it may nave been lively and vibrant in the recent past but now it definitely had an air of 'tiredness' about it. It was undoubtedly a bar but first and foremost although the largish kitchen was designed to be open for all to see.

None of this registered because I was mainly concerned about getting something to eat - it purported to be a 'tapas' bar (some might recognize this as another sign).

I opted for some 'lite bites' and ending up wishing I hadn't; in fact really wishing I was somewhere else entirely.

I suspect that none of the three items would have been readily recognizable on a typical tapas menu: bread and dips comprised two highly suspect dishes of dubious if not unrecognisable origin. Even the person who served me weren't able to give a sensible opinion as to what they were. The Kalamata-style olives were so heavily tainted with spices in the oil that must have been their home for an indeterminably long period of time that they were profoundly unpalatable. And the "kofta" kebab patties presented on a plate smeared with yoghurt (I think) although reasonably tasty didn't get any where near compensating for the rest which was simply lamentably disappointing.

Only one or two of about 3-4 staff who handled my order and served me were welcoming and interested in my business. Several others working there hardly looked motivated.

Perhaps someone in putative authority among them all should take an interest in what the kitchen staff are sending out; so that they know what they're serving and what it tastes like.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“We loved this place too!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My family and I were in Broome a few weeks ago and and over a six night stay we dined there at least 4 times and still want to go back and try more, we couldn't go past the fantastic food, great service and friendly staff. We tried some other places around but nothing compared. Having a 6 year old, 2 year old and mother-in-law to please can sometimes be difficult but we all dined here happily. Great meals for the kids, they loved the crispy katsu chicken and rice and the beautiful grilled fish and Mum and I couldn't have been happier. The kids are still asking to go to the Zoo and we can't wait to come back... keep up the great work!!!

• Visited October 2012