“Getting a little Tired and lack of maintenance is starting to show” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mangrove Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mangrove Hotel to your Saves list
Mangrove Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   47 Carnarvon Street, Broome, Western Australia 6725, Australia   |
Ranked #13 of 14 hotels in Broome
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Getting a little Tired and lack of maintenance is starting to show”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

OK for a Business trip very close to Town and magnificent views over Roebuck Bay from the outside bar area but better places to stay as a tourist. I got a Breakfast incl. deal and closeness to town swayed me.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerMRH, General Manager at Mangrove Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Hello James Michelle S,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel.

Yes we do have some great deals out at the moment and our rates are super competitive with other product in Broome.

I would be interested to know which particular aspects you think could be getting a little tiered and which areas are lacking maintenance? We are spending considerable sums of money upgrading the hotel at the moment and are keen to make sure we ensure we upgrade the areas that are important from our customer’s point of view.

Perhaps, if it’s not too much trouble, you could email your thoughts on gm@mangrovehotel.com.au? We would be sincerely appreciative of any advice you may have for us.

Hopefully we can win you back in a years’ time once we have the majority of improvements finished off.

Mark Evans

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Broome, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I have to applaud the Mangrove and it's new owners/management team. I attended the Jimmy Barnes concert on Friday evening and for the first time in years the place was not in chaos. Getting into the venue, getting a drink or grabbing some food was relatively effortless considering the number in attendance.. Service was great, and finally a decent quality, reasonably priced wine selection added to the list. The Sandleford bubbles were reasonably priced, the only problem, they were that palatable I drank it with too much ease, hence a nanna rocking out to Jimmy Barnes pays a toll the next day !

Thanks to all who made the night such a wonderful experience, and especially the midget from the front office "you know who you are" who made sure I got home safe in a cab. Sure I'll be venturing in again "for a quieter drink" some time soon"

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerMRHB, General Manager at Mangrove Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hi Broome_Local66,

Yes it was a really fun night wasn’t it!

Great to hear you had such a good time. Jimmy put on a great night didn't he! He is the real deal.

Sandalford Wines is actually one of our family groups businesses - so I was especially appreciative of your generous comments about the quality of our wine! We do try extremely hard to make a good drop of wine, and because it goes direct from the winery to you via the Mangrove Resort Hotel we manage to keep the costs right down too, as you also pointed out!

Plenty more great concerts and events to happen down the track. We may not be able to prevent you from 'paying the toll the next day' but we certainly can keep you rockin on Broome_Local66!

All the best,

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed at the Mangrove Resort for 5 nights with my family in a bid to escape the Perth winter. While all my fellow friends went to Bali, with a young baby in tow I was not prepared to take the risk. And I must say- I don't regret it for a second! The rooms were a perfect size even with 2 kids. The hotel itself is fantastic- all credit to the wonderful staff- always so happy to help and go out of their way to make us comfortable- especially with the kids. The view is absolutely amazing and the set up means you don't feel on top of one-another. The food and drinks were literally the best in town and the location- you just can't beat! We walked into town several times- the weekend markets are definitely worth a trip. All in all I would say this resort is my new winter destination, something that we are thinking will become a yearly tradition! And perfect for a family as the pools are great if you want to laze around the resort, but less than 10 minutes to the world class Cable Beach. We felt it was a much more relaxing holiday than going overseas and the Mangrove Resort made the trip simply amazing- thankyou!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerMRHB, General Manager at Mangrove Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
WOW!!! Thank you Belinda C!!!

Your first review on Trip Advisor is out best review yet! Thank you for taking the time to sign up on Trip Advisor to share your experience with us and people using Trip Advisor - it’s a bit of effort to do that so I hope you know we do really appreciate it!

You are right, our Superior Poolside rooms are spacious and do allow for families to comfortably set up base in them. The last thing you need is to be cramped into a small claustrophobic room that has no natural light or air or space for the kids (or views!).

There are some pretty good restaurants and bars in town though! I would like to think we are the best in town but I think there are some pretty solid options out there also! Next time you come up we will have to organise a few bookings for you with establishments like Zander's, Zoo Cafe, Cafe D'Amore and Matso's... All really great offerings.

We are excited to have become a part of your annual pilgrimage and tradition Belinda C - look forward to seeing you and your family soon again!

All the best,

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a little worn and I'm guessing the rooms are cleaned by backpackers with little supervision but the quiet ambience in such a nice place won. We've rebooked for our return. Midgies around the pool were a nuisance.

• Stayed August 2013
Hi JarJar,

Thanks for your feedback and thanks for choosing us not just for your first visit here but also for booking with us ahead of your next visit to Broome! We look forward to welcoming you back here!

We cannot exaggerate just how beautiful our views are. Between them, the manicured gardens and little tropical forests, and the central location that you mentioned in your review, we are very lucky to have acquired a property that has so much going for it.

I will dive into our housekeeping practices further on the back of your comments - we are going through a large 'spring clean' since taking over the hotel. We have already replaced all housekeeping equipment and as of yesterday have received sign off on purchasing all new linen for all rooms and bathrooms. In addition to this - we have been going through an average 10 tubs of gumption to get everything looking beautiful and clean! I do sincerely apologise for what the particular cleanliness issue may have been though.

The midges in Broome have been quite full on for the past week, however they come in small waves and subside pretty quickly. One of the first things we did when taking over was to have Aero guard available to all guests throughout the bars and restaurants just in case there was a bad patch passing through Broome.

It would be great to know a bit more about when you are coming back next JarJar.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I haven't stayed at the Mangrove, visited the venue for the view and meals only.

I have visited both venues at one time or another. The view and food from Matso's is pretty average,hyped up and expensive. the view is looking out over a road which is fairly busy, and there is no sea breeze so it can get stifling under the verandah. Although I must admit their Mango cider is to die for.

The Mangrove hotel however has a view to "die for". Overlooking Roebuck Bay on a winters afternoon with the balmy breeze cooling the 30 degree temp. with beautiful shades of blue in the sea what more could you ask for. Well, a great pizza and a choice of draught beers should set you up for the afternoon. The menu at the Mangrove has been updated and the three people in my party all tried something different and everyone enjoyed their meal.

I can't believe that this place (the Mangrove) isn't packed out during the dry season, a seat on the decking overlooking what has to be the most beautiful view in Broome is a must for any visitor to Broome.

As a resident of Broome I am a bit sad that they got rid of the local reward card - we visit and support your venue during the wet and now the dry season is here you seem not to care if we visit or not!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerMRHB, General Manager at Mangrove Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Hello and good morning MnMPerth,

Thanks for taking the time to review our bar and restaurant offering. We agree with you the view is first class up here at the Mangrove Resort Hotel - and we are still working hard to ensure our new food and drinks offering matches it. Nice to see our little changes being noticed though.

We think our friends at Matso's have a fantastic offering! The heritage building is a real centre piece in town (and is filled with so many interesting things and points of character) and you are right - there Beer is excellent. You must try the Chilli Beer next time or the 'Chango' which is a mix of the Chilli and Mango beer.

The rewards card is a real hurting spot for us at the moment as our locals are very important to us. To try my best to explain things simply - a few thousand of these discount cards were handed out by previous owners and management to everyone in town via a mail box drop. However during settlement of the hotel and change in ownership to us the vouchers liability were not factored into the settlement and so now we cannot honour them as the risk of significant amount of loss generating business is substantial to say the least.

It's a real sore spot for us as we try to never say 'no' to our guests and are always trying to ensure everyone has a great time. There will be more specials to come and we will do things especially for our locals - stick with us and we will make it up to you!

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed at this wonderful resort for three nights. The service was fantastic and the staff were lovely, going above and beyond to make sure we had a great time. The views are stunning and it's so relaxing. I have been to a few of the new owners other hotels and very excited to see what they are planning for this place. It will be great to see a new relaxed lounge bar in Broome. I'll be back to taste the new menu and try out the cool new pool area. I just hope the prices don't go up too much then.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerMRHB, General Manager at Mangrove Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hello CaitieCP,

Thanks for your glowing review of our resort, and alos for thinking up our new hotel slogan - 'bliss in Broome'!

I see you stayed in one of our premier rooms. Nicely done! They are quite special and do have great views - worth the tiny bit extra to ensure your Broome experience is a memorable one.

Whilst I can’t confirm anything specific about our refurbishment plans (we are all supposed to be flying under the radar and keeping things under wraps at the moment!) I can say when you do come back to escape the cold Sydney weather again next year ;) you should be pleasantly surprised.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to the Mangrove Resort Hotel again CaitieCP.

Broome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Thanks for a great night at the Mangrove last night. Last time I ate there it was very average but now I can see the new owners are making small changes already. We ordered off the bar menu and the food was delicious. Gourmet pizzas and burgers. The four of us were impressed with the food. New beers on tap and decent glassware to drink from too which makes the beer taste that much better. We will definitely be back soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hi PippaBroome,

This is a real treat for us! A Senior Contributor on Trip Advisor who also happens to be a Broome local that has experienced our venue before and can see our changes in action. We thank you sincerely for your support here.

We still have a long way to go and the best is still yet to come.

It would be great to meet you in person next time you come through the resort PippaBroome. If there is anything I or any of our team can do for you dont hesitate to give any of us a direct call.

Best regards,

Garrett Prendiville

Been to Mangrove Hotel? Share your experiences!