“A great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 12 Nature & Parks in Broome
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1981, Ships of the Desert is Broome’s original and best camel tour operator in Broome, Western Australia. Come and enjoy your choice of morning, afternoon or sunset tour on the captivating Cable Beach. Our point of difference is that we guarantee not just a camel ride, but an authentic camel experience. This is due to our carefully selected and professionally trained staff and camels!Listen to the stories and adventures of our camels and staff as they have trekked across Australian deserts, raced in different states and featured in television shows and movies such as the feature film, Australia!Australia’s friendliest camels await you- Book early for a good-looking one!
“A great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

A camel ride at sunset at Cable Beach was recently listed in the Sydney Morning Herald as one of the "must dos" for visitors to Broome. I can only agree. I was on the lead camel so had the birds eye view of all the Cable Beach action and had the opportunity to ask as many questions as I wanted to the staff who were very informative about the camels and other facts about Broome and surrounds. Although I chose Ships of the Desert because I had a discount through a holiday package, I could thoroughly recommend their professionalism from the booking process, through to the ride itself. Everything was according to plan. There were professional photographs to purchase but there was no pressure and my husband, who chose not to ride was offered a lift with the photographer and walked alongside for part of the ride. Well done Ships of the Desert. The sunset was magnificent (particularly for an East coaster) and dinner overlooking Cable Beach was a great way to end a very hot December day.

Visited December 2013

Sydney, Australia
“Best Jobs in the World Winner says DO IT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Riding camels on Cable Beach was a relaxing and pleasant way to enjoy the stunning sunset in Broome. The camels were gentle and calm (first time riding one!), and the guides were knowledgeable and happy to share some camel facts with us while we strolled along the beach. Cool, outgoing group of people working here too! The pictures I got back were really great as well! Definitely a memorable experience!

Cameron Ernst, Virgin Australia "High Flyer" & Best Jobs in the World Winner

Visited November 2013
“What a ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We chose the sunset ride mainly because of the temperature up there. Didn't realise what a fantastic sunset we were going to see. The staff were all very friendly and happy to tell you all about the camels.It was really enjoyable. They took photos on your own camera and also offered their own photos. There was no pressure to but they were definitely worth it. The camels were clean too. Awesome experience.

Visited November 2013
3 attraction reviews
“It is a must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

You don't come all the way to Broome without doing the camel ride. It is definitely a must. There are 3 types of rides: Early morning, late afternoon and sunset ride. It is definitely much more preferable to get the sunset tour compare the other ones because the sunset over Indian Ocean is absolutely magnificant and breathtaking.

Ship of the desert is one of the 3 major camel ride operator at Broome. They were quite good and flexible. I booked the ride very late and could only book early morning ride for the date I wanted. However they kept me informed if there was any cancellations so that I can be slotted into sunset ride. They did call me when it was available and I was very happy with this. Even though the sunset tour began late as we were waiting for a while for a large tour group from the cruises, they compensated by giving me a camel ride photo for free which normally costs like $30 (OK I know it doesn't cost that much but I do appreciate the gesture). Jamie Bright the Propietor seems like a cool lad as well as humerous when he conducted the tour, not to mention the camels looks pretty happy which is important as I believe that the camels needs to be looked after. They also take some photo graphs for you using your camera when you are on the camel. I would highly recommend this tour to everyone who comes to Broome.

Visited October 2013

3 attraction reviews
“What a fantastic way to round off our holiday in Brrome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed the sunset ride with Ships of the Desert - this is an absolute must do when visiting Broome and we really liked the way the whole SOTD team worked with the group of people that were on our "trek". They were patient, informative, friendly, HAPPY and really made the whole experience extra special. Absolutely loved the USB stick with the extra photos - fantastic value. Thanks very much team - this was the highlight of our trip

Visited September 2013