“It is a must!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 35 activities in Broome
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Established in 1981, Ships of the Desert is Broome’s original and best camel tour operator in Broome, Western Australia. Come and enjoy your choice of morning, afternoon or sunset tour on the captivating Cable Beach. Our point of difference is that we guarantee not just a camel ride, but an authentic camel experience. This is due to our carefully selected and professionally trained staff and camels!Listen to the stories and adventures of our camels and staff as they have trekked across Australian deserts, raced in different states and featured in television shows and movies such as the feature film, Australia!Australia’s friendliest camels await you- Book early for a good-looking one!
“It is a must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

You don't come all the way to Broome without doing the camel ride. It is definitely a must. There are 3 types of rides: Early morning, late afternoon and sunset ride. It is definitely much more preferable to get the sunset tour compare the other ones because the sunset over Indian Ocean is absolutely magnificant and breathtaking.

Ship of the desert is one of the 3 major camel ride operator at Broome. They were quite good and flexible. I booked the ride very late and could only book early morning ride for the date I wanted. However they kept me informed if there was any cancellations so that I can be slotted into sunset ride. They did call me when it was available and I was very happy with this. Even though the sunset tour began late as we were waiting for a while for a large tour group from the cruises, they compensated by giving me a camel ride photo for free which normally costs like $30 (OK I know it doesn't cost that much but I do appreciate the gesture). Jamie Bright the Propietor seems like a cool lad as well as humerous when he conducted the tour, not to mention the camels looks pretty happy which is important as I believe that the camels needs to be looked after. They also take some photo graphs for you using your camera when you are on the camel. I would highly recommend this tour to everyone who comes to Broome.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

3 attraction reviews
“What a fantastic way to round off our holiday in Brrome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed the sunset ride with Ships of the Desert - this is an absolute must do when visiting Broome and we really liked the way the whole SOTD team worked with the group of people that were on our "trek". They were patient, informative, friendly, HAPPY and really made the whole experience extra special. Absolutely loved the USB stick with the extra photos - fantastic value. Thanks very much team - this was the highlight of our trip

Visited September 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Melbourne, Australia
“Awesome sunset camel ride.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Ships of the Desert is an awesome company to join for your Broome camel ride. We went this week on Tuesday and it was a highlight if my trip to Broome. The camels are all well looked after and behaved nicely. I really enjoyed every aspect of the tour and of course the sunset was amazing. My photos are really great and the guide is happy to take pictures on your own camera as well as offering packs to by which I thought were reasonably priced.
I would thoroughly recommend this tour. It was awesome and I would do it again if I go back to Broome.

Visited November 2013
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
“Ship shape and Bristol fashion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

One thing you must do in Broome is a sunset camel ride. Ships of the Desert are conveniently located, can be booked a number of ways, and their handlers are experienced, knowledgeable and rather handsome too (but that's just gravy). They provide conversation to the riders during the event and provide photos available for purchase at the end of the ride. Check for deals including photo as part of the booking price. A USB with all photos is available for $40 and the photos are very well done, especially with the sunset as a background. Worth every penny.

“Magic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

A must when visiting Broome. Had always been on my wishlist....and Ships of the Desert did not disappoint! The team were very friendly and knowledgable - camels the cutest . Loved it - a beautiful experience and one I will never forget .