“Only for a short stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Broome

You added Oaks Broome to your Saves list
Oaks Broome
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   99 Robinson Street, Broome, Western Australia 6725, Australia   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Broome
perth
“Only for a short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed in the property over the weekends. Overall I would say that this is definately not a 4.5 star hotel. It is at the most 3.5 star.
Service at the reception is very average, what u would consider "getting the basics" done. Staffs are not helpful or friendly. When asked about the directions and church service time, they were not well equiped enough to answer. Upon checked in, as everything is pre done and room is pre assigned, not too much information was given. I wasn't happy with my room as I didn't feel safe as the room was at the back of the property and the next door occupant was quite loud and they were having drinks at their balcony. So I rang and asked if I could have a room change. Was told that theres only 1 more room left(as the rest are of higher category). So I had to walk to the front desk and get the key to the other room. Though this room is pool facing but the set up is disappointing. So I went back to the first one as the receptionist cant let me have another room apart from this two. I was given 4 sheets of "information"(only to realise after being in the room for 20mins looking for a hotel directory) that they are actually the hotel information. Very helpful of the receptionist to tell me that :)
Room: there is one main door leading to 2 rooms. It can get quite noisy if the next door occupant is a late night owl. But the room is considered clean just because this is a relatively new property. But there were no blankets, only a flat sheet was put on the bed. The duvet and fleece blanket is stored in the cupboard. Bathroom is clean n basic but the window which backs against the main walking corridor is quite "see thru". I saw a female wearing a pink top when i walk pass one of the windows. I think they should do something about it.
Room service: basically there's none. U have to ring up to the restaurant and when they are ready, they give u a buzz to go pick it up.
Quality of food: Had night supper of hot chips. Honestly chips from any fast foods chain will taste better than this soggy packet of potatoes with heaps of runny aioli sauce. Absolutely disgusting. Had dinner at the restaurant the next night. Had pizza. Please don't waste your money here. Just walk to town and get your money worth.
Upon check out: If you are lucky, then you will probably be granted late check out. Inflexibility. They work on the principle that if you booked a standard room, then you will be checked into a standard room. So if the room that you are occupying is needed, you cant even have a late check out at about 11.30am. To make it worse, they don't have a proper hospitality room if you have a late afternoon flight and needed to freshen up before you leave. The only place you can use is the toilets beside the restaurant.
I do not know if the hotel actually provide a shuttle service to the airport. I went up to the receptionist asking her to call for a taxi to go to the airport. While I was standing there,I saw this information saying shuttle to the airport(cant remember exact words). So i wonder if the hotel actually provides a shuttle and knowing that, still the receptionist went ahead with the calling of my taxi without telling me that the hotel provides a shuttle to the airport.
I would not reccomand this hotel. I think with the money I'v paid for, i rather stay in a motel with the same level of service n much cheaper.

Room Tip: if you have booked a hotel room(as it says on my itinenary) do not request for pool view as thats a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Eryn F, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Broome, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Broome. It is disappointing to read that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. In regards to the shuttle bus service, we do have a bus that can come pick guests up when needed and take them to the airport. We have signage up around the reception desk with the bus details. If a guest ask reception for a taxi, they will call one for the guest also. We would like to apologise that our staff member did not highlight that the information sheet at reception was the main reference sheet for your stay. Unfortunately we do not provide in room compendiums. I will pass your comments on to the National Food and Beverage Team in regards to your experience with the restaurant. We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

The rooms are pretty good, but the quality of the food has gone downhill since I stayed here 2 years ago. I ordered pick up barramundi and chips and was given the frozen barra you get at Coles! Then I tried the Bruschetta -made on a hamburger bun! Thought I'd give the sticky date pudding a go - I think it must have been made weeks ago as it was soooo dry.
Housekeeping is not very consistent and one weekend when I was there they made so much noise with their trolleys and their shouting to each other, that it woke me.
I am going to pass this onto work and look at staying somewhere else next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Broome, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Broome. It is disappointing to read that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. I will pass your comments onto the National Food and Beverage Team in regards to the food you were served while staying with us. I will also let the Housekeeping Manager know of the noise issues you experienced with the staff. We do hope you will choose to stay with Oaks Hotels and Resorts again soon.
Broome, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Am currently near the end of an 11 day stint at the Oaks. The rooms are fine and for a couple they are spacious and functional. We have cooked most of our meals in the room and on the first night the staff were very quick to replace an unusable frying pan which was helpful.
I'd suggest purchasing your own sponge and spray and wipe if you intend to cook in the rooms. Despite numerous requests, our kitchen bench and bathroom sink have been wiped over ONCE in 9 days. Reception informed me that staff only do a full clean every second day, I would have expected this to include wiping food from the very small kitchen bench. We have also stripped the bed indicating that we wanted clean sheets after finding long hairs that clearly belonged to housekeeping staff in our bed a few nights running. We reported a disfunctional airconditioner several times and 5 days later are still waiting for it to be repaired.
We ate at the restaurant once, which was enough. The menu needs an overall and fresh food would be great.
The pool is fantastic. I've never seen clearer water and there is enough room to find your own space.
For a cheaper holiday this is a suitable place. And we've found the location to be quiet and private. An earlier review about locking the door to keep housekeeping from barging in is very accurate. The quality of the housekeeping has been very disappointing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay at Oaks Broome. It is great to read that you thought our rooms were spacious and well equipped to cook meals. In regards to the servicing you receive each day, this included make up of your bed, replenishing of your amenities, bins are emptied and a vacuum if deemed necessary. Unfortunately the wiping down of benches and surfaces is only done after a guest has stayed with us longer than 7 days. We do have record of our Maintenance Manager and an air conditioner technician attending rooms at this time, unfortunately, we are unable to see from your review which unit you stayed in or booking name so we are unable to confirm if that unit was one of those inspected at this time. We do hope you will choose to stay with Oaks Hotels and Resorts again soon.
Canning Vale Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

This is a large corporate hotel. You could be staying anywhere in the world. Whilst pretty, it has nothing much to distinguish it other than woefully inadequate parking. Stay here if travelling on business - don't bother if you are on holiday.

• Stayed March 2012
Eryn F, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Broome, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Broome. It is disappointing to read that some aspect of your stay did not meet your expectations. We do hope you will choose to stay with Oaks Hotels and Resorts again in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are average, the location is handy to the town area and city beach. Make sure you lock your door because house keeping knock as they barge in, you can call out to them to wait all you, however they don't understand or don't care. Put the do not disturb sign up and lock your door 24/7.

Don't ask for anything, the staff won't be interested. We asked for an extra towel 4 times. One guy from housekeeping told us to ask someone else and walked out. Rang the front desk a couple of times and they tell you no and hang up in your ear.

The hotel is ok, just don't ask for anything or expect friendly service from house keeping or the people at the front desk. The restaurant staff are very nice.

• Stayed August 2012
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Broome, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Broome. We would like to apologise for the service you received while staying with us. I will pass your comments onto the Hotel Manager and General Manager for Learning and Development. If you wish to discuss the issues further then please contact us on customerfeedback@theoaksgroup.com.au. We do hope you will choose to stay with Oaks Hotels and Resorts again.
perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stay here regularly for work trips through the Kimberley and the Oaks always provides consistent service, which is not a given in the North West.

It's conveniently located close to town with ample free parking. Both pools are of good size but unfortunately they close at sunset which is not very useful if you're out and about all day.

Rooms are what you would expect in a modern Australian facility, however be prepared to lug your bag up stairs as there are only a couple of lifts.

They don't have room service, but the restaurant does pick-ups. Also beware the restaurant doesn't open till late for breakfast on the weekends.

No wifi in the room, but cable internet is available and is of OK speed.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the road.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Broome, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Broome. It is wonderful to read that on several occasions we have been able to provide accommodation which suites your needs while travelling for business. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

currently staying here at oaks broome.....the staff are fantastic always happy to try their best to help
the pools are great thou the water is cold....pity its not slightly heated during the dry season so more people would use the pool.....
the rooms are nice , we stayed in hotel rooms and a 1bed apartment......all very good....however if you have a dual occupancy apartment, it can be vary noisy outside you room door....I really think developers stop designing resorts like this...as its just too noisy from people leaving the other part of the apartment....thats my only complaint
i would prefer to stay here and be in town than stuck out at cable beach....

Room Tip: try not to get a room which is the dual occupancy design....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Broome, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Broome. It is great to read that you find your room nice and you are able to enjoy our pool area. We are pleased to read that you found our staff to be fantastic and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Been to Oaks Broome? Share your experiences!