“Great Dumplings, fast service, great price” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Dumplings, fast service, great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I took a punt on the restaurant based on the amount of people I saw going inside and was pleasantly suprised. The dumplings are great value, they must have been pre cooked because they came out immediately but were delicious. I took my 3 kids and we all ate and had a drink and paid $39 total. I have a sneaking suspicion that they added a couple of dollars to the bill but couldn't remember individual prices so didn't argue but add up your items just to be sure. It is a cash only business which gets my goat coz we all have to pay fair taxes but hey if they can get away with it... Great food and I didn't find it too noisy, I don't mind a busy, buzzing restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Australia
“We have never seen such horrible service in Melbourne!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Wanted to go to Hu Tongs, which we love but was fully booked that night, unfortunately... so we thought we'd try Shanghai Village only 100m away...

Arrived to a very busy chaotic restaurant and the waiter downstairs sent us upstairs after a couple minutes. The only table upstairs was a round table for 6 - there was no waiter/waitress around so my partner and I sat down. It took 10minutes of waiting for the waitress to come to us - she seemed to be dealing with a number of complaints from other tables about bad food and bad service. She eventually noticed us waving to ask for a menu and asked us how many others will be joining us.

After explaining that it was just myself and my partner and we'd been sent here from downstairs, she told us bluntly that we could not sit there, as it was a table for 6! Again, we mentioned that we had been waiting for a good 10 minutes and were told to sit there - she obviously did not care at all and told us to leave the restaurant! There were no other tables available apparently but at that point we didn't want to give them any of our money anyway.

Thankfully, we left and found an excellent won ton bar just around the corner and got our food quicker than we got menus at Shanghai Village!

We would not recommend this place to anyone and absolutely appalled that there is a restaurant still open in Melbourne with this kind of service!

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Great tasting dumplings at bargain prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Chose this restaurant at random whilst walking through Chinatown based on the amount of customers inside. After the meal I understood why this place is so popular. The service is lightening fast and the prices are very cheap. The dumplings tasted great!! We ordered 3 different types of dumplings (28 dumplings in total) deep fried duck, 1 beer and 1 cola, and the bill only came to $29! Amazing value! The quality of the food is great! Could not fault any dish. The restaurant works on turnover so don't expect a 2 hour romantic meal. It's loud and cluttered. You can BYO if you wish. On my next visit to Melbourne I will eat at this place again in a heartbeat.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Being a fan of dumplings I was advised that this was THE place to go in Melbourne for dumplings, so I could hardly pass up an opportunity to give these a try and compare them to the ones I get at home in NZ, which have been amazing depending on the venue.

I came here with a table of four others and we all ordered our dishes at the same time, while some dishes appeared almost instantly others took an increasingly long time to arrive, even if they were the same as another order (for example, two orders for pan-fried pork dumplings arrived around 10 minutes apart). Sampling the chicken/prawn, pork and beef dumplings i'd have to say the beef dumplings were the tastiest. The pork ones were good but not as good as i've had elsewhere and I can't say I really enjoyed the chicken/prawn ones as they had very little flavour and even the soy/vinegar didn't do much to add.

As other reviews mention, the place is forever crowded and noisy so it's hardly a place to go for a romantic, or quiet dinner. However it does suit a good group dinner, and the price can't be complained about. I'd consider going here again but i'd certainly go for the pork of beef dumplings over anything else.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Great dumpling at a cheap price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This restaurant does not look pretty from the street, has old and outdated décor and is very noisy inside – but yet is always packed at lunch time. Why one might ask?

Well it probably comes down to the value for money food, and especially the dumplings.

I have been to this licensed restaurant many times before, but recently went for lunch with some friends. We were seated upstairs and were shown to our table quickly. We helped ourselves to some tea from the large urn which was complimentary and ordered dumplings, of which they offer a good variety to choose from amongst other Asian dishes. I ordered fried beef dumpling (12 pieces) which cost just $7.50! Others ordered steamed chicken and prawn dumplings (8 pieces) for $7.50. This place is just dirt cheap!

It was very busty and very noisy, but within 15 minutes our dishes arrived, and it was worth the wait. They were still hot and very tasty.

It was a very good quality meal considering the price and we will be back again. It is however worth taking note that they only accept cash and do not accept any EFT or credit card.

• Visited November 2012