“Good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Plum Carlton Serviced Apartments Melbourne

You added Plum Carlton Serviced Apartments Melbourne to your Saves list
Plum Carlton Serviced Apartments Melbourne
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   528 Swanston Street | Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria 3053, Australia   |
Ranked #79 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
NZ
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We booked through a website on a busy race-day long weekend. After reading the reviews on TA, we were a bit worried. But it was all good. The apartment was clean and comfortable. Quite compact but sufficient for our needs. The reception staff deserve a special mention, very helpful and top service. Well done. Convenient to QVB, trams and Lygon Street. Only slight complaint - apartment had been grafitti-ed by a previous occupant. Attempts had been made to remove it but it was still visible and creates a poor impression. Needs to be repainted.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Should have checked tripadvisor before booking - lesson learnt! Arrived at 10am and was told we could not check in until 3pm so if you're with littlies do take that into consideration. Also, we had booked for a spare bed - just didn't realize we had to make it up as the foldout bed was left outside the door. Room itself was decent although there were food stains on carpet and couch. Clean bathroom though. And do request for courtyard facing - so you don't have to put up with street noises. Upside was the location - just 10mins slow walk to Melbourne Central and tram stop just 2 mins away. All in, I would probably not go back to this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Once we arrived we were shocked by size of it, but once you spend a day there, its all good. Enough space for everything. Very clean and importantly next to CBD, we could walk everywhere. Restaurants around the corner and wollies 15min away. Tho you need to pay for parking. Would recomend.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed here based on reviews that it was somewhat clean! It was NOT clean at all, food stains in carpet and on couch, food wrappers under bed, food marks up the wall in kitchen area where there was once a bin I imagine! We are not fussy people when it comes to accomodation as long as it is clean. We let reception know about the standard but nothing was done about it. These apartments get a light service on week days, by light service it means changing your towels-nothing more hence the grubbiness of them over time!!! Beds are two twins stuck together-at that we didnt even have 2 twin beds the same height pushed together. If you are looking for somewhere cheap to lay your head then fine but don't expect anything more!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Darwin, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is the 2nd time we've stayed here, the 1st was an ok stay but this time it was not pleasant at all. The first problem was that the heater was broken and going to Melbourne where the weather was 10degrees average a heater was defiantly needed. We told the hotel reception and asked to move rooms as we were from Darwin where we are not used to such cold weather and need a heater and they said they would call an electrician to fix it as there were no other rooms available. That was fine. the 2nd day came and we went and confirmed with the hotel reception about the heater and the lady was quite rude, stating that the tradie would 'come when he was available and when he was in the area'. Long story short, we were there for 4 days and no tradie came, my mum ended up getting sick due to the cold.We complained to another receptionist about the lack of tradie and heater and she was so nice and apologetic about the heater and offered to take $30 per day off for us which was great. Overall, the Location is amazing and it was clean but a heater is really needed in somewhere like Melbourne.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I warn against staying here. I had a 7 night stay in August 2013. Bed bugs bit me badly overnight on night 2. The staff moved me to another room but were unapologetic.

They said that all of my clothes would require treatment because they had been in the room. On a Friday they sent all of my clothes away for dry cleaning. I had been assured that the clothes would be back Saturday morning. They did not come back until Monday afternoon.

I had three days in Melbourne with no clothes of my own. I had to buy some clothes just to get by.

The hotel offered a refund for 3 out of my 7 nights – to compensate for the mix up with my clothes. I was offered nothing for the inconvenience of the bed bugs.

I would post photos of my bed bug bites, but that might be too much. Suffice to say it was a horrible experience. I wouldn’t recommend this place. I would have left after night 2, but the last minute alternatives were all very expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

After reading other reviews we asked for (and got) a room at the rear of the building, away from the noise of Swanston Street. The walls are a bit thin, but most of the people staying at the Plum seemed to be university students - and surprisingly well behaved. Our apartment consisted of a lounge/dining/kitchenette and bedroom with ensuite. The location is great - with the tram running down Swanston Street. It's a pleasant walk into the city or Lygon Street and there are lots of eateries in Carlton.

The desk staff was as helpful as I needed them to be.

The one complaint I had was the blanket folded over the end of the bed. It was well overdue for a wash!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the building.