“Some things good, some things bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Plum Carlton Serviced Apartments Melbourne

You added Plum Carlton Serviced Apartments Melbourne to your Saves list
Plum Carlton Serviced Apartments Melbourne
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   528 Swanston Street | Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria 3053, Australia   |
Ranked #80 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Nelson, New Zealand
“Some things good, some things bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

When we arrived the external look of the building and the fact you have to go past a laundry area to get to reception concerned me a bit but once in our apartment it was better than I thought it would be. Great situation close to Lygon Street. The lower 2 floors of the complex are Plum Carlton and the rest seems to be accommodation for students. We booked a 1-bed apartment but were down graded to a studio apartment but weren't informed and were still charged the 1-bed price until we complained - so watch for this. The "24 hour laundromat" they mention on their website is not owned by Plum Carlton and reception are unhelpful with queries about this. Mostly reception people are not that friendly or helpful with the exception of Russell who was really helpful, professional and friendly - if you need anything done ask for him I reckon!! I guess good value for money. Really hard beds tho!!

Room Tip: Rooms that look into the internal courtyard will be better as away from the road noise and the noise...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Not a bad little place to stay that's reasonably cheap with kitchenette.

Only a block and a half from Lygon street, Carlton with a variety of eating venues.... tram right at your door into the city.... another 2 blocks and you are at Victoria Market.....

Smallish rooms but for half the price of other hotels in the area it suited our need of an overnight stay without the need for frills..... close to the Universities so a fair bit of student accommodation here....

No problems with keys, though a bit annoyed that we were charge a 1% surcharge for paying by credit card...... sure it's bright on the outside and the reception staff could use a bit of Customer Service skills re-training but the bed was comfy, room was clean and surprisingly the trams did not wake us....

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Nadi, Fiji
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Not clear that keys must be picked up from another hotel that is a taxi trip away. This is buried in fine print towards the back of the booking form. This information should be clear and up front. Also, rooms were not clean and service was poor. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Great location but dreadful service
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

I booked my stay at Plum Apartments in Carlton based on the photos on their website, and forgot to check this website for reviews... big mistake! I pulled up in the taxi and I realised what I was possibly in for when I saw that the building was multi-coloured. The man at reception was helpful and told me how to get to my room (113 on level 1).

I stepped out of the lift - the corridors smelt like old vegetable soup... very disgusting. When I opened the door to my room, it smelt like a hospital ward. This smell didn't go away. The apartment looked NOTHING like the photos. The photos depicted a clean, bright apartment with nice decor. It was smelly, dark, the blinds in the bedroom and living room were dirty and had a thick layer of dust on them, the windows were incredibly dirty and had cobwebs, there were stains all over the couch and carpet and the walls were filthy. The air con on/off button was also missing - how convenient in the middle of summer. There were instructions on the coffee table on how to turn the set-top box on to watch digital tv - BUT THERE WAS NO SET TOP BOX OR REMOTE! The decor was disgusting compared to the decor displayed in their photos. The bedroom also had a bedside lamp which had a red globe in it and made the bedroom look like a brothel at night.

I immediately went straight back to reception and was told that they would try to move me to another one of their properties. They called me an hour later to say that it would be unlikely that they could move me as they were fully booked. There was NO WAY I was staying here for 5 nights. My partner was due to be arriving on the 3rd day, and I knew that he would be just as unimpressed as I was, so I immediately jumped online and started looking for new accommodation. I found new accommodation, but it meant I had to stay at Plum apartments for 2 nights. I managed to find new accommodation at the Mantra on Jolimont (which I recommend), and only had to pay an extra $86. Upon checking out, I got in the lift, and there were splatters of blood on the floor. No, it was tomato sauce. It was definitely blood.

I paid $160 for the 1 bedroom apartment at Plum apartments in Carlton. This was a DISCOUNTED rate from the usual $170. Absolutely ridiculous.

THIS WAS THE WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER STAYED AT. They have got their rating and pricing seriously wrong. The photos are very deceiving and the place is smelly, dirty and dingy. Don't even bother with this one.

Oh, and I've just filled out the selections below in this review - apparently there is a fitness centre?! They didn't even bother telling me about this.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We booked to stay for 5 nights whilst doing a trade show.Upon arriving after a long day setting up we were greeted by the dirtiest room I have ever seen.The walls were filthy , the room was nothing like the picture, the couch was so gross I did not want to put my hair near it in fear of getting lice and the bathroom mirror was broken.We walked straight out and went and stayed in another hotel up the road.Unfortunately we had to endure one night there as we were unable to find accommodation on the Saturday night.The staff were quite useless.When we had to check out on Sunday morning there was no one on reception to leave the key, I tried all three after hours numbers and rang the buzzer on the apartment they said to and no one answered.I ended up taking the key to our new hotel and returning it later .All in all I would not stay in this hotel .

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stayed here for a couple days and it was very good for the price.
Short walk into the centre of Melbourne or easy use of the trams from the front of the building.
Stayed here just before going to see the Tutankhamun exhibition.

Just a few blocks and your in Lygon St for all the restaurants.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Geelong, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I have been to many hotels and this one by far is the worst my friends and I have stayed at. The service there is absolutely ridiculous! During reception hours they fail to answer there phones. They are rude! We went up during the Grand Prix weekend. And they double booked us, and didn't even apologise.. AND they didn't tell us when we checked in, they called us a few hours later. Another thing, we had our blinds open and we had view of the BBQ area, and across from that is more rooms so we could see other windows, and directly across from our window (same level) was a man INDECENTLY EXPOSING himself to us! We got one of our male friends to have a look at what number his room was so we could tell the staff the next day. When we told the guy at reception he said to us that there was no man staying in that room, that it was a mother and her daughter. So we showed him the window and he still didn't believe us and he laughed under his breath. I find it appalling an old man masturbating in his window, that was doing hand gestures for us to come to him. That is disgusting. Also, if you plan on going by car. Plum services have only THREE car park spaces for the whole hotel. And if they are taken up then that's just too bad. It smells on sewage in the car park anyway. The hotel corridors smell as well. The hotel ruined our weekend. We were meant to go to the grand prix, but instead we had to worry about getting another hotel WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE during that weekend. Yes we got half our money back, but that's not the point. All I can say is I am never going back there. It's too overpriced for the services they provide. I've stayed at crown for as much as I paid here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Plum Carlton Serviced Apartments Melbourne? Share your experiences!