“Good food, great view, poor attitude and service!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of James Squire Hotel

James Squire Hotel
16-17, 439 Docklands Drive | Waterfront City, Melbourne, Victoria 3008, Australia
03 9606 0644
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2,821 of 4,093 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Australian, Pub
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night
Description: The James Squire Hotel offers premium casual dining in a relaxed atmosphere and specialises in Modern Australian cuisine with Colonial influence utilising only the freshest and best local produce.Showcasing a range of hand-crafted beers that are truly enjoyable to drink, each with its own distinctive flavour, amazing aroma and rich colour. The pub has a relaxed and inviting feel where people can sit back on a chesterfield lounge and enjoy a leisurely pint with friends, or take a seat at a rustic style table for a meal either inside or in the outdoor area. Floor to ceiling windows make the most of the prime waterfront position and city skyline views.
Melbourne, Australia
“Good food, great view, poor attitude and service!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Great view of the Docklands, nice atmosphere and good food for a work function but this is where it stopped unfortunately!
Bar staff need to change their attitude and focus their attention to good service! This was very off putting! Simple, if you don't want to be at work, don't go!
Very sticky floors as well!
Prices of food and drinks are slightly overpriced.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Perth, Australia
“Good food poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Tonight we all went to the james squire pub in Melbourne
The food was good quality but for some reason they stuffed the order of the food up and our main courses came out before the entree

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“We love it here, every time we come into the City = lunch or dinner at Squires!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

So relaxing, great place to meet family and friends, kids are welcome, beer and food is great, service is friendly and welcoming, can sit inside or outside, well sapced out seating so you are not crammed in!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Awful beyond belief”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Firstly, when we arrived there, and throughout our entire visit, it was so noisy that one could barely hold a conversation. As well, as I walked in, with each step I took the sole of my shoe stuck momentarily to the dirty sticky floor before being released quite audibly.
It took quite a long time for any of our party of around 15 people to be served their main courses, and then those of me and my companion did not arrive until over 10 minutes after those of everyone else at our table.
After enduring all of the above, it was extremely disappointing to find that our mushroom and pumpkin risottos were barely edible. They were simultaneously oily and watery, and almost flavourless, contained few mushroom pieces, even less pumpkin, and no discernible Parmesan, (but for a few dry shavings on top).
The waiter offered to provide another meal each for free, but both because the standard of cooking we had experienced was so low, and because the risotto had been the only vegetarian main course I recalled having seen on the menu, I declined. She then offered a free glass of wine, but as I had had one already, and had to drive later, again I declined.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wallan, Australia
“Worst Service Ever!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Upon arrival our group was totally ignored while we stood at the front door and waited to be seated. After actually stopping a waitress as she walked right by us, we were taken to a table that I'm pretty sure wasn't the one that I booked due to the fact that there were less chairs than asked for. As the waitresses and completely arrogant and totally disinterested waiter (I would have liked to have given him a mouthful but I truly believe he would have spit in my food!!!) totally ignored us, I had to ask for menus and for the standard information of do we order at the bar or is it table service. Apparently it was table service, but I think the customers that were used to the disgraceful service were more aware that going to the bar was quicker, it took 45 minutes for our first round of drinks!!!!!
When I went up to the bar to ask about our drinks and to add another drink to the order, I wasn't surprised to find the parody of a waiter standing there filling water bottles, and he wouldn't even acknowledge me until these very important water bottles were filled and put back in the fridge!!!

Now about the food.......they only have five items on the entree list and one of those wasn't even available. I will say that the bread and dips though small, was alright and the calamari tasted just like KFC. Mains were nothing to write home about. The parma's were tasty and quite large but I think they soaked the chips in oil before they cook them!! By comparison the other meals (salmon, pork belly and linguini) were very small and hardly filling.
What can I say about dessert....don't bother!!!! Lemon meringue was a TINY,SLOPPY, MESS. The strawberry and white chocolate cheesecake was again tiny and totally tasteless and the panna cotta, despite being visually enticing was nothing like the description and a total dissapointment!!! Needless to say, all of these undersized, tasteless desserts were way overpriced!!
I wouldn't mind, but we spent $700.00 there!!!! If it weren't for the pleasant company with us to keep me in a good mood and one waitress her worked her butt off, I do believe the other patrons would have had a floor show to watch because I was ready to let fly!!!!!
To sum it up....bad service, overpriced, tasteless, too noisy. I suppose I can say the location was nice though.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere