I stayed at the Oaks on Lonsdale last week with my mother and sister in a 2 bedroom apartment - room 1805.
The room is a great size and is well appointed with couches, dining table, dishwasher (which smelled horrible) etc. The views were fantastic - Parliament House, Chinatown and various buildings. There were two bathrooms, however the main one has a bath-shower instead of just a walk-in shower which was quite high, so difficult to get in and out of if you're on the shorter side.
My only issue is that only the living area was air conditioned, and although it kept the main area cool, it didn't really spread to the bedrooms. Luckily the smaller room had an opening window (which, I must say, was an AMAZING change and it was wonderful to have fresh air in a hotel bedroom) but the main room didn't, and the only option for some fresh air/air movement was to open the balcony door. I noticed a lot of rooms above and below ours seemed to also do this, so perhaps an air conditioner could be added to the main room, or even an opening window/fly screen on the door. The only problem with the opening window was that one mornign the people below my room were smoking on teh balcony and it came straight into my room, but that wasn't the hotels fault.
The hotel is in a great location, as mentioned by most of these reviews. If you want a taxi, there's a taxi stand on Exhibition St which is easier than trying to wave one down. There is also a 7/11 next door and a couple of cafes which open during the week.
The hotel staff all seemed pleasant, although we didn't really have much to do with them apart from checking in and out. There is also a room service option (Gourmet2Go) which was pretty cheap ($7.50 for a brownie and ice cream plus $6.50 delivery charge) however one of the delivery boys asked for a tip which is quite rude by Australian standards.
The wifi prices are ridiculous (something crazy like $25 a day) and I feel sorry for any travelers who have to purchase it for whatever reason, but this is Australia where apparently hotels feel it's okay to charge prices like that, yet many cafes and restaurants have free wifi.
All in all, it's a great hotel with only a few negatives.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oaks on Lonsdale is located in one of Melbourne’s most sought after locations and offers ultra modern hotel rooms and apartments. Oaks on Lonsdale provides comfortable, contemporary studios and spacious one, two and three bedroom fully self contained apartments all complete with fully equipped kitchens fitted with stainless steel appliances and reverse cycle air-conditioning. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Tingo, Otel, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA and Venere so you can book your Oaks on Lonsdale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oaks On Lonsdale Melbourne
- Oaks On Lonsdale Hotel Melbourne