“Large apartment” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks on Lonsdale

You added Oaks on Lonsdale to your Saves list
Oaks on Lonsdale
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   23 -33 Lonsdale St, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Special Price
Book Direct & Save 10%
Ranked #78 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“Large apartment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was recently in Melbourne for a three nights for the Melbourne Cup horse racing carnival. During this time most hotels charge the rack rate and its very difficult to get a decent hotel for a reasonable price. The Oaks on Lonsdale is in a great location, its very central to the shopping and theatre district and also Chinatown. We had an early flight and arrived at the hotel at 9.30am our room wasnt ready but they let us store our bags. When we returned at 2pm they checked us into our 1 bedroom apartment on the 11th floor. The apartment was larger than expected, the kitchen was a decent size and the lounge/living area had tables and chairs for 4 people and a 3 seater lounge. The room was airconditioned and also had a balcony with table and chairs that faced on to Lonsdale Street. I definitely recommend these apartments with size and location being the best features. There is a small IGA supermarket downstairs that is open to midnight which i would only use for convenience as it is a little pricey. If you are after alcohol and you have a bit more time walk a little further down the street as there is a Dan Murphy's located in Melbourne QV on the corner on Lonsdale and Swanston Street.

Room Tip: It is located in the city so i would recommend trying to get a room above the 10th floor if you are...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Lonsdale, responded to this review, November 11, 2012

I am delighted to hear that you found your apartment to be a great size, in a good location and good value.

All one and two bedroom apartments are fitted with full kitchen facilities and dinning tables and it is great to hear that you were able to enjoy the best of your apartment’s facilities.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks on Lonsdale in the near future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Renmark, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed here twice while on business in Melbourne. Clean, spacious, great views and friendly staff.

My only criticism was that I had a lot of trouble working the washer/dryer when I had to wash something. Instructions were not helpful

Fantastic space and views in the rooftop apartments!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Oaks on Lonsdale.

I am pleased to hear that you found your apartment to be clean and spacious and that you were able to enjoy the views from your room.

Our reception team is available 24 hours and can assist with all guest enquires regarding our room facilities.

We will be working on step by step instructions regarding the use of the washer/dryer facility in our apartments.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for continuing to stay at Oaks on Lonsdale and we look forward to your next visit.
Innsbruck, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Great location, great rooms & facilities and friendly staff. Only issue were night staff seemed rather confused about some of our group bookings and don't seem to be able to help much. Oh and there was the thing about the false fire-alarm at 5am on Saturday morning.public area is very good, good reception nice and clean.house keeping staff is very nice and good.nice and clean lift.window is good.reception staff is good manager is good..........

Room Tip: higher floor have less a/c unit noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks on Lonsdale.

I am delighted to hear that you found the location of the hotel, our facilities and our staff to be great.

The safety of all our guests is our number one priority and I can assure you that the fire alarm that occurred on your last stay is not a regular occurrence.

Thank you for making a special mention off our housekeeping staff and Hotel Manager, I will be passing your comments on to them respectively.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks on Lonsdale in the near future.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Great location, great rooms & facilities and friendly staff. Only issue were night staff seemed rather confused about some of our group bookings and don't seem to be able to help much. Oh and there was the thing about the false fire-alarm at 5am on Saturday morning. We expected some sort of acknowledgement that it was a false fire-alarm from management after the incident but there was nothing. We also found the Housekeeping service a little random as well. We would have all our beds made and so on but dirty cups and rubbish were left unattended. Not a big deal but like I said, a little random and not consistent. Overall, I would recommend this property and I would stay here again though.

Room Tip: the 2 bedroom apartments are really good value for family and friends.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Lonsdale, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Oaks on Lonsdale. I am delighted to hear that you found the location of the hotel, your room and our staff to be great. We do apologise for the inconvenience caused by the fire alarm, the safety of all our guests is paramount and I can assure you that this is not a regular occurrence. I will be passing your comments on to our Housekeeping Manager regarding the daily servicing of your room. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks on Lonsdale in the near future.
Fraser Coast, QLD, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed three nights in a one-bedroom apartment. The apartment was well maintained and very clean. Facilities were very good, including a well equipped kitchen and laundry. The king-size bed was very comfortable. The location is excellent; one block from the circle tram and almost backing onto Chinatown. The is a great little cafe next door that serves good coffee and very cheap breakfasts. The was an IGA supermarket that was well stocked a couple of doors down. The front desk staff were very courteous and helpful. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others seeking a self catering option.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Lonsdale, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks on Lonsdale. It is great to read that you found your apartment well equipped and clean. We are pleased you could enjoy the central location and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I travel to Melbourne for business for 3 weeks each month and this is my first stay at Oaks. Overall the stay was pleasant with a few quirks. The fittings of the apartment aren't posh but reasonably new. The 1-bedroom I stayed in was a good size with a dining table for 4, kitchen with full sized fridge, oven, dishwasher and microwave. In the living room was a 2 seater sofa with a 32" TV which was rather old, channels were limited with fuzziness. I was on the 15th floor and there was a small balcony which was nice to just look out towards the MCG. Bedroom had a huge closet and steam iron, drawers were a little small. A bonus was a small 15" TV in the bedroom. My main complain is the bed was made up of 2 joined singles, which was really uncomfortable where they joined. When I asked for another room with a queen bed, the response was all the rooms where in that configuration. Probably will not stay at Oaks again because a good sleep is really important to me. Bathroom was clean with a washer/dryer combo within. Would have preferred a separate washer and dryer as it was extremely difficult to operate, and there was not detergent provided. There wasn't a way to set the water level like most washers and the water level it determined on it's own was way too little. Service was good to rectify problems: Had my trash replaced because of a permanent stench and got additional hangers when requested.
The good: Full-size fridge, space, tv in bedroom.
The bad: Joined single bed, lousy washer/dryer combo, fuzzy tv

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Lonsdale, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Many thanks for providing feedback on your recent stay at Oaks on Lonsdale. We are pleased that you found your overall stay to be pleasant and that your were able to enjoy the view from your room and the large dining area. I will be passing your feedback on to our housekeeping manager regarding your bedding comfort and will ensure that our operating instructions are displayed more accurately. Our front office team is available 24 hours to assist with any issues regarding you room and I am pleased to hear that they were able to rectify the issues in your room promptly. We trust that you will consider stying at Oaks on Lonsdale again in the near future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I recently stayed here with my husband and two little boys in a 2 bedroom apartment. We got a fantastic rate and I have no complaints with the accommodation in general. It was spacious, the beds were comfortable, the bathroom and kitchen were clean. I did have an issue with a few things that, I think, are inexcusable. There were only 3 chairs in the unit, makes it difficult to eat together if you can't sit at the table. There was also only 3 tea spoons. The couch was covered in very big and offensive stains. I turned the cushions over to find that the underside were even worse. I had to get a blanket out to cover it. The floor had a large sticky spot on it. I used a face washer to clean it and discovered that it had been a very long time since the floor was washed. The face washer was black from the dirt on the floor. Finally, there were no mattress protectors on the single beds in the second bedroom. My 3 and 2 year olds sometimes wet the bed so I am very aware of the need for a good mattress protector. I hate to think what things might be lurking in those mattresses. We won't stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks on Lonsdale, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks on Lonsdale. It is a shame to read that some aspect of your stay did not meet your expectations. In a two bedroom apartment, there are to be four chairs at the dining table. We would like to apologise, as the chair missing from your apartment may have been out for repair or replacement. I will pass your comments onto the Hotel Manager for their attention and consideration. We do hope to welcome you to Oaks Hotels and Resorts again soon.