“Beautiful food in lovely atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bistro Vue

Bistro Vue
430 Little Collins st, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)
03 9691 3838
Update restaurant details
Ranked #42 of 3,889 restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Melbourne CBD
Melbourne
“Beautiful food in lovely atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and his parents visited Bistro Vue on July 19. Loved the atmosphere and the French music playing. Service was excellent, just as I would expect for such a restaurant. Never had to work hard to get someone's attention. Water frequently topped up. I had the snails which were delicious and the seafood pasta, as well as the snickers dessert ... just couldn't say no. Food was excellent and normal portion sizes which is always so enjoyable. I find it so frustrating to eat at places where the portions are huge and you either feel bad because you leave food or you overeat and feel unwell. My husband had the wagyu rib eye cut which was one of the most amazing pieces of steak I have ever tasted. Really couldn't fault the evening... thinking hard of some constructive feedback - nope... nothing! Lovely night!

84% Recommend
Cairns
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We dined at Bistro Vue on 2nd July. I was very excited about dining here as we were on a short holiday and I'd planned out every meal. There was my husband, 9 year old son and myself. I'd scanned the menu prior to arriving in Melbourne and had already decided what I wanted to order.

In short, both my husband and I were disappointed. Our son was happy enough with the children's menu. I should add that I was impressed that they had a children's menu, I thought we'd be ordering something off the main menu for our boy.

Having just purchased a copy of Shannon Bennett's "Paris" where he reviews restaurants in Paris, I was upset with the fact that the simple food on his menu at Bistro Vue was mediocre. The sauces which accompanied the steak were bland. Sauces should be the highlight of these simple bistro dishes. The french onion soup was nothing special. We decided not to order any dessert. All up, the food was OK. Wine was fantastic and there is a great selection.

The staff were pleasant and very attentive. The decor was gorgeous! I loved the whole feel and ambiance of the space - very appealing and authentic.

I'd probably go back and try again as I seem to be in the minority when reading other reviews. I really want to enjoy dining here.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Expensive deliciousness”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked this in advance of a short holiday in Melbourne, excited by the menu and the cachet of the chef. The meal was lovely, the room and decor quite French bistro with caned chairs, wine bottles and floral touches.
Having several excellent meals in quick succession means one has fewer courses, so we opted for a main and dessert.
I had the slow cooked secondary cut of wagyu. Cooked sous vide at a constant low temperature for about 9 hours, it was still pink and so, so tender. It was bolar blade I believe, like you have never had it. Highly recommended.
Partner had Pork belly, loin, black pudding, Calvados sauce and was disappointed that the pork belly skin was soft and the fat un-rendered, where he had expected crisp crackle. He left that bit and enjoyed the rest, but I would also expect a crisp crackle on pork belly. Flaccid skin is not so enjoyable nor so much a contrast with the melting flesh. Surprisingly, he really enjoyed the black pudding which would not normally appeal.
We accompanied this with petit pois which were amazing and loaded with butter. The entire meal oozed richness...maybe too much.
Dessert was chocolate souffle and creme brulee. I am interested in souffles these days. Flour seems to be omitted and the dessert is more like a meringue cooked in a copper pot and the texture and taste is different from what I learned as a girl many years ago. Had I parted my souffles with a knife and poured in a warm sauce, all would have collapsed. These days it stands tall and the taste is far more meringue. I couldn't finish this. Too sweet and too textureless.
Partner enjoyed the traditional creme brulee, nice and thin in its terracotta pot with a decent layer of caramelised sugar. Not exceptional but good but with much heartburn later.
While the wine list had many interesting wines, the prices were astronomical, at least 3x bottle shop prices. It galls me to find wine lists starting at $60 or thereabouts for wines I can easily find in bottle shops at $20, like Cape Mentelle, sold at $60, or a Gigondas at $46 in a bottle shop for $120. Fair enough if they have sought out unusual wines, and many are, but not for the normal ones. And quite frankly, people would be happier to spend on the food if they knew there was wine available at a reasonable mark-up.
We did not eat excessively this night but we did have a disturbed night. Even two courses were too rich.
Verdict: Stunning cooking for the most part, watch the richness factor if you are likely to be affected. Wine prices start high and go to astronomical. Bottled water is also expensive (more than we paid in a three Michelin star in Paris) Go for chilled and free tap water.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic French charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I chose Bistro Vue for a dinner for 2 for my girlfriends birthday based on a recommendation from clients. My girlfriend loves French food and it was all cooked to perfection. The service was good though could have been better. The maitre de showed us to a table in the middle of the room which had a cold breeze blowing in from somewhere. We asked to be moved to a location without a cold breeze, which they did, but he clearly was not impressed given the attitude we got. After that we did receive a much better level of service from a different waiter - Florian. The atmosphere was very nice as well with French tunes from a piano accordion player and the decor was very French except for a lack of candles on the tables. What decent French restaurant doesnt do candles!!! So one point knocked off for an unsmiling snooty maitre de and a lack of candles.

Sydney, Australia
“Classic French bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Classic food beautifully cooked.

From the French onion soup, through the truffle pasta, duck or steak and fried potatoes to the chocolate soufflé - this is French bistro food at its finest.

I think deserts and the french onion soup were the real heroes of the night.

Quirky room and a great feel.

Service just average compared to the food, but not bad.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere