“Food service and ambience was perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bistro Vue

Bistro Vue
430 Little Collins st, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)
03 9691 3838
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Melbourne CBD
Wellington, New Zealand
“Food service and ambience was perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We chose this restaraunt as we didn't want to have the degustation menu at veu de monde so thought we were going down market to its little sibling restaraunt! We didn't book as it was a last minute decision. We were greeted warmly, asked to sit at the bar while they checked availability, our table was ready immediately. The French themed restaraunt was inviting, the staff were excellent, and the food sublime. My soft shell crab was an inspired choice for a starter and my wife tried zucchini flowers for the first time. These were a hit. Our mains were the chicken and steak choices, cooked to perfection,although my wife's chicken could have had more seasoning ( everyone's a critic). Deserts are where this meal totally won us over. The brûlée was smooth and flavor some and the tarte tartin was a winner according my wife. The wine list by the glass wasn't extensive but was very well chosen! This was the highlight of our Melbourne visit and a credit to all the staff! 10/10

Melbourne, Australia
“A little piece of Paris”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

The more affordable sister of the famous Vue de monde, Bistro Vue is set up like a street cafe of Paris, complete with the cushy red velvet chairs and tiny tables. Great ambience made even better with a musician playing the accordion in the corner.

The food is typical French, rich and delicious. We had the French onion soup and duck egg starter, followed by mains of the wagyu steak and slow braised beef. For dessert, I highly recommend the chocolate soufflé (OMG!) but give the Madeleines a miss (they were dry and lacked the buttery goodness of a good Madeleine). This 3 course meal for two with a glass of wine, coffee and tea after set us back about $250.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wellington, New Zealand
“Very good, but slow down.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were visiting from New Zealand and after seeing Shannon on masterchef, thought we would check out Bistro Vue. We enjoyed our meal - here are my thoughts. Entrees: I had the courgette flower and thought this had plenty of flavour and was well presented. My husband had the soft crab and certainly recommended this. For main, I had the chicken (Coq au Vin), and although beautifully tender, I thought it lacked some flavour. My husband enjoyed the steak, cooked to perfection. For dessert, he had creme brulee which was delicious, and my tarte tartin was amazing (see photo) - full of flavour, chewy around the edges. Wonderful.
My only complaint is that the food was served too quickly. The entrees were out about 5 mins after we ordered them, and we really wanted to soak up the atmosphere first. Then we had only just finished those and the mains were out - timing definitely not correct. We took our time to order dessert. We really felt the waitress wanted us to leave - ie we weren't offered another wine etc, just took the glass away! Really not good enough for a restaurant like this.
Still recommend the restaurant overall.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

food was great. had the wagyu and it was juicy, cooked to perfection. foie gras (my favourite) was yum too. really nice ambience. restaurant size isn't too big, not too noisy.

“Beautiful Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I ate here with a friend before seeing a show and if first impressions count then the staff did the establishment proud. We had several different staff attend to us during our meal and all were extremely friendly, attentive, polite and professional. I had the truffle pasta which was just perfect - perfect pasta and perfect sauce with beautiful truffle aroma and flavour. Finished off with the tart tatin, which was twice the size of the main course, brought to the table in the pan and then served directly onto the plate in all its golden, syrupy finery. It was absolutely fall-off-your-chair delicious! The only sad point was that it was so big I couldn't eat all of it, but it was heavenly. The whole meal was just delightlful. The only downside, and why this isn't a five star review, is because of the tea bag. I ordered a pot of tea to finish and was most disappointed after everything else being to such a high standard, to be given a pot of hot water containing a tea bag. If this restaurant can offer such beautiful food, I'm sure it wouldn't be too much effort to put some real tea in a pot. A minor point, but annoying! Other than that, a wonderful experience.

• Visited March 2013