“The worst value meal of my life.” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Melbourne, Australia
“The worst value meal of my life.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2015

A party of us went last week to Attica.
The ambience, almost a misnomer, was black & oppressive.
The food was minimalist, as an example the first course of pippis, 2 each, was tough as boot leather, small and sandy.
No course was outstanding, one was even a single potato & barely cooked to boot...... and so on.
The Wine List was, as mentioned in a number of recent reviews, over priced & pretty well all imported. Is our Australian Wine that bad or is this just a ploy to sell cheap vin ordinaire at exaggerated prices?
Nice Staff who get full measure for effort & presentation.
Stay away.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne
“a complete experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2015

Right from the moment you enter, you feel special. The wait staff do their jobs exceptionally well, and add a personal touch to your dining experience. They are all very knowledgable in terms of both the food and wine they are serving.
The food is prepared by some extremely talented chefs, or should i say food artists. The food can be enjoyed on so many levels. First thing that strikes you is the food's first class appearance. But more importantly, where the magic happens is the flavours and textures that are unique, daring and dynamic. Using a huge range of exotic herbs, flowers and plant matter, each dish has it's own and vastly different characteristics. From what I understand, the menu changes from time to time however, our menu was as follows:
Curd and Local Honeycomb
Pork, Rotten Corn and Lemon Aspen
Pears and Maidenii
The Industrious Beet
Pukeko’s Egg

My favourite menu item was the crab. It was such a dynamically flavoured dish.

Lastly, be prepared for an over 4 hour dining experience. If you're also considering matching wines (I recommend this!), expect around a $650 bill for 2 people.

Also, PLEASE consider going on a Tuesday. This is the day that you can trial new ideas from the chefs.

Loved it!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“A must for your bucket list !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2015

Let me start out by saying it is a pure joy just to secure a reservation & even on my birthday (double treat). It was started by 3 appetisers......Then 8 courses of pure indulgence & be prepared to be amazed, the very simple joy of eating any of these fantastic courses will set your senses on high alert. We opted to have the wine paring & this was a wise choice, the staff have a wealth of knowledge about every single wine, very pleasing to allow them to tell such a great story behind each one. Who would have thought we could spen 5 hours having a meal.......So we had just finished course #6 & were invited to the garden where we were greated & each given a bowl, it was for some shaved ice to which a strawberry sauce was added & we were then allowed to add fresh herbs from the garden......simple but what a way to get the sweet courses started......very, very impressive indeed. It was then onto the 2 desserts, now I love my sweet food & they were both mind blowing......just keep trying to get your reservation as the wait is soo worth it, best dinner ever !!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
AUST
“Semi Amazing experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2015

We dined recently and had a great time. The service was impeccable and the knowledge of food and wines impressive. High class establishment.

The food was in abundance and our courses turned into 12 with all the added extras you receive. The food was enjoyable but experimental so very different to other 'hatted ' restaurants. I enjoyed the combination of flavours and testing the palette, but felt the food was a little over rated in my opinion. I prefer simpler tastes.

• Visited January 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2015

Party of 5 thurs 29th for degustation menu. First off could neither hear nor understand the waitress. We were asked if we had a time constraint on the evening. We said no but be warned this means that for a 7.30 booking you may still be there til midnight! Service was 1. very slow with too much time in between courses. The portions are small so therefore no need for long intervals. 2. We were not offered the accompanying wine tasting or even wine menu. We had to request the wine menu. The male members of the party were offered extra bread but not the women in the group. A waiter did offer later in the meal tho. Same service or lack of with ordering more wine only males were asked. Dishes were not cleared promptly and one waitress even spilled some liquid on me when clearing and didn't acknowledge. As for the food some courses were good but no wow factor and I realise that this is a matter of taste however I had what appeared to be a chicken nugget which tasted like something from a cheap greasy fried food cafe. In this instance it was a bonus that the portion was tiny. This ruined the whole meal for me as it left a bad after taste. As in some previous reviews there was a distinct lack of protein in the food so not balanced. The dessert portions were too large. I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants and I really don't understand how this one gets its reputation.

• Visited January 2015