“Had my elderly mother who was impressed with the apartment....say no more” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aria Serviced Apartments

You added Aria Serviced Apartments to your Saves list
Aria Serviced Apartments
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   285 City Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Formerly Plum Serviced Apartments Southbank) (Southbank)   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #106 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
s.a.
“Had my elderly mother who was impressed with the apartment....say no more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

I travelled with my elderly mother and young daughter and met my son who stayed with us too. We found the apartment very nice indeed..yes the view wasn't to die for ,but then we were hardly home. I thought the rates were very reasonable and my son who lives in Melbourne was able to stay the weekend at no extra cost as the rates were for 4 people. Security was tight ,and there was always someone at the front desk. We asked for extra dishwasher and washing machine powder and were given both with a smile.Would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

This was my 2nd stay at the Plum Southbank. This time I had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom on the 13th floor. It was really nice. Only disappointment was the single beds in the 2nd bedroom. I had presumed (because of my previous stay) that the 2nd bedroom would have a double / queen - lesson learnt, never presume!

Apt was spotless and extremely well presented. Evrything you could hope for in a short stay is available.

Location is very convenient for a tourist visit to Melbourne, I was visiting with an overseas relative who hadn't been to Melbourne before, so it worked out well.

The immediate area is very lacking in services, other than the casino, but it's only a 5-10 minute walk to Southbank.

Only complaint was the noise from building works next door which did not stop during the night. It wasn't horrendous, but might bother a stressed traveller.

I will probably be going back for my 3rd stay

• Liked — High standard of the apartments
  • Disliked — Noise from building site nextdoor and opposite
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

Plum Southbank is a nice, relatively new development in the heart of Southbank and right near the gorgeous casino!
The apartments are just like the photos and you do only get a very small balcony as the other reviewer had informed but at least you get a balcony! Most hotels, particularly in Melbourne dont even have any balconies at all!
The apartments were clean, and decor tasteful, however the house-cleaning service during the weekdays is a bit shabby! They just make the bed and a sloppy job of that and give you fresh towels and take the old ones away. They do not empty the trash or give you new dishwashing or washing machine liquid as we had to ask for that! The house-keeping people seem to also fail at reporting any faults with the apartment. For instance we had like 15 cigarate butts on our balcony from the previous tenants, a dirty balcony, with a glass balustrade that looked as though it had never been cleaned. Together with the handles in the bathtup looked as though some fat person had fallen on them as they were completely bent down and i can't think of anything else that could do that! Also the door stops were broken and you also do not get pay TV and the dishwasher was broken! Another comment was that the hot water in the shower takes about 2 minutes of running before it will heat up!
Although they are minor oversights. The location is right next to where you can catch the trams into the city and out if it to St Kilda! so that is a major bonus!! iIt is so easy to get around melbourne because of the trams!
In regards to the rudeness of reception people in previous reviews, this is true of some of them but not others! We had a taste of both! The reception is opened 24/7 and they do rotating 8 hour shifts i was informed, but we had two really nice ladies most of the time!!
I would stay there again...they just have some maintenance issues which I already informed them of upon checking out!

• Liked — how nice and new everything was
  • Disliked — lack of house-cleaning and maintenance issues
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ballarat
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

Plum Apartments are chic, smart and above all, very clean and fresh. The decor is tasteful, with relaxing blues and browns. I'm fairly qualified to review this place, having stayed in it many times over the last few months - from the single room apartment to a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment.

The views don't bother me so much - I don't mind if I look over the casino, a construction site, or a freeway - as long as I can't hear the outside world when I'm trying to sleep - and the rooms are certainly quiet.

Checking in is a bit odd at first - I've never been able to grab a legal park out the front while I get my keys and remote to the carpark - lucky check-in is fairly quick!

These are apartments, not a serviced hotel room - generally you don't see many other people or staff. My first impressions of the staff were that they were a bit cold - I think having somebody a bit more bubbly and charming on the front desk is important. However - after staying there for business trips for several weeks I can say that the staff are very professional and perform their job very well - I'd rather competence over charm any day!
They certainly take care of their business regulars!

The appliances are all very good - haridryer, european laundry, clock radios, DVD players. I miss pay TV which seems fairly standard in hotels these days and is a noticeable absence. I am also not sure what internet facilities are available.

The Plum Apartments are a short walk to the casino (and taxi rank), Southbank (I recommend Pure South) as well as Clarendon St (I recommend The Clarendon). There is a McDonalds and a service station at the nearest intersection. A short tram ride will get you to the city and Southern Cross Station.

If you like clean living, fresh air and open space - Plum is for you.

• Liked — Clean and crisp. No musty smells, no abuse of room fresheners!
  • Disliked — No showercap provided!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

Stayed 2 nights at the Plum Southbank 13th floor overlooking the freeway! The balcony, which was the main reason for booking this) is 2m by 1/2 metre! This apartment block is on a busy road with little else to sell itself then you can walk to the casino through the casino carpark. Really nothing apealled about this place. OK clean and tidy but no character at all. Appparently booked out but we never saw another soul. Would not recommend to anyone, but the price at $150 night was OK.

Stayed March 2008
WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2007

The rooms were quite ok as it was relatively clean. Location wise was pretty good only a stones throw from the Crown Casino. However as a whole package I would not recommend it. Did not feel that welcome as they had never once check to see if we were ok with everything. Working in Hospitality I believe that service should be of somewhat importance. We were not informed about our room for example no service on the weekend. Did not feel so like welcome guests as I believe you should also get feedback from your guests to provide a good service (A run down on service would be nice). One last thing check what you get charged before paying, they do not seem to give you the full details nor do they like corresponding with you after your stay. I'd recommned only if service is not what you seek.

Stayed December 2007
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2007

We stayed for 5 nights and loved the Plum Apartments, beautiful and new inside with a gorgeous view out over the city form the 13th floor! Trams were right outside and it was only a short stroll into the city and the Casino. We booked through not1night, and were so impressed with the apartment; it was exactly like in the photos!

The only complaint we had was the management; no-one was ever at the front desk to ask directions and general questions about the area. Also when we did buzz them down for car parking and check out it seemed a real inconvenience to them.

Overall we loved our stay, and would stay again, just don’t go expecting too much service from the front desk!

• Liked — Beautiful New Rooms
  • Disliked — No one at front desk most of the day
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Aria Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!