“Great location and value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aria Serviced Apartments

You added Aria Serviced Apartments to your Saves list
Aria Serviced Apartments
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   285 City Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Formerly Plum Serviced Apartments Southbank) (Southbank)   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #107 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
“Great location and value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at Plum Apartments in two different apartment styles over a weekend in February. First, I must say how great the location is -- I usually stay in the CBD or North Melbourne, but it was a short, maybe 10-15 minute walk to the city (and tram stops nearby if tired). The beds were comfy (better bed in the one-bedroom apartment) but they were both well-equipped and spacious for the money paid, and neatly designed. Loved the balconies with views over the city! There was a cute French bakery east of Plum, and we had a great breakfast at Olla Messa, an Italian restaurant/wine bar nearby. Great choice if you're on a budget but want to be relatively central.

Room Tip: Get a one-bedroom apartment in the building above the hotel lobby -- felt more city chic! We also st...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Eaton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed for 5 nights business and pleasure.
Apartment was in need of a good clean, pillows lumpy. Daily serviced during the week, but nothing anywhere to say it doesn't happen at the weekend. Would stay again. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

No double glazing and the traffic noise is terrible. Also a nightclub near by that's open until 5 am and it sounds like your right on top of it. Would NEVER stay again. Worst apartment for noise I have ever stayed in.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

A group of us have been friends since meeting in Sydney in the early 80's and some years back we decided we should all get together every year or two altho we're spread out around the country. As it was we decided on Melbourne as it was easiest for us all to get to. Little did I realise when I organised our weekend it was Melbourne Cup weekend so I thought accommodation might be a little tricky. As it was we got into the Southbank Plum Serviced Apartments. We booked 2 two bedroom apartments and 1 single bedroom. Booking was easy and no probs checking in - we did have to sign a no party and no smoking policy. One of our friends drove from country Victoria and parking was available at the property which she didn't have to book and cost $12/day. The day we arrived a new French Patisserie opened next door which offered great fare - yum.. The rooms were great. The living area was spacious, self contained with kitchenette, laundry and very comfortable. We had a good view from the balcony. It's in a good location and the city centre is within an easy walk - if you like walking that is. All in all a good place to stay and I would again. The only thing that we thought a little unusual in our apartment was the double bedroom door was mostly glass with no curtain or screen so no privacy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I booked a girls weekend away to Melbourne as a surprise for my mum's Birthday. We stayed Friday and left Monday. It was sort of a last minute idea so I couldn't opt for a more pricey apartment but still wanted to stay somewhere nice & a good location. There were 4 of us and I chose the 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment with a city view. We were given a room on the 10th floor.

Pros:
- Location is FANTASIC! Less than 5 minute walk to the Casino and 10 minute walk to the Yarra where all the restaurants and shops are. Without realizing we we there over Chinese New Year and there were markets, food & entertainment right down the Promenade for the whole weekend! Also the city is not far at all, just a tram ride away - maybe 15 minute walk.
The aquarium is also a 10 minute walk away!
- Although we weren't on the highest floor in the building, the view we had from our roon was amazing! Especially at night time. Definitely recommend a city view apartment.
- Apartment had working air conditioning
- The kitchen was reasonable with gas stove, fridge, microwave, dishwasher and all other utensils.

Cons:
- We had trouble when we first checked using the key, it would not work in the lift and we had a to get it changed twice.
- Our apartment was so small for 4 adults. Only one couch in the living area. Really cramped to sit 3 people together, and I often had to sit on the floor.. which I didn't mind since I was the youngest. But I think adding another sofa, even a 1 seater would have made our stay a little more comfy.
- We had 4 single beds, 1 bedroom off the lounge area only had a sliding door separating the rooms. This room did have most of the natural light coming from the main window which was nice.
- This bedroom was also attached to the bathroom/toilet (sliding door again which did not even close or lock properly). And another door from the dining/lounge.
- The second bedroom had a tiny window in the corner which let hardly any natural light in because it was enclosed by surrounding walls. This room was so dark and stuffy.
- The shower had no door.
- And the traffic noise, TERRIBLE if you're a light sleeper. It sounded like we were on the first floor to be honest.
- Attention to detail was poor, scuff marks on the walls and poor paint job. Also finger prints left from previous people.
- The laundry is literally a closet with a washing machine and dryer stacked on top of each other and an iron and ironing board squeezed in.

I booked this room straight through the Plum website. And when I put my credit card details in to pay for the room it had said I'd paid the deposit blah blah, I got a statement in an email. But when we got there reception said the FULL amount was due.. apparently they don't physically take the funds even though the email they send SAYS deposit paid. This really annoyed me, it should be more clear that it's not really a deposit. Lucky I had enough funds on me to cover the full $700*. So be aware that when you pay the 'deposit', it doesn't actually take the funds you still have to pay in full on arrival! If I'd known I wouldn't have been so annoyed by it.

Overall we had a good weekend due to the location and how close we were to everything. The apartment wasn't BAD, but it could have been better.

Probably won't stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

This place was really good. We never had to wait for lifts, reception staff were really helpful. The aircon was fantastic in the heat wave. Close to everything. The apartment itself had plenty of room.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Mooloolaba, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

There are some great things going on here, like the location, but overall I cant say that I'm excited.

Great view from the 37th floor, but cold and uninviting place. The hall is white on white and not at all welcoming, you are grateful for the light colours, as there is no lighting! An energy saving thing, but when the elevator door opens, it is completely dark save for the glow of the emergency exit. Sometimes we got all the way to our door before the sensor turned the lights on! A bit scary when I came home alone.

The apartment was modern and clean, but again lacked any feeling, with no decorations and no storage. Our suitcases were open on the floor and I had to keep my toiletries in my bag. Anything you needed had to balance on the side of the bathroom sink. Not really a one bedroom either, but a studio with glass sliding door to the bed.

Air conditioner didn't work, washing machine didn't work! No window to open, so we got really hot and stuffy, even in moderate weather. Hard to sleep when hot and sweaty! We requested single beds, which were never delivered, as Housekeeping were supposed to unzip the bed. Had our car parking fee refunded for our trouble, which is ok.

The carpark is another thing…not for the faint hearted. It is a corkscrew, where the front of your car meets the wall on the right before your boot leaves the wall on the left. And its two way!! If you are not confident driving this is not for you.

Would I stay again?…not sure. Location is very convenient for Southbank, South Melb and the city, hop on the tram right at the door, McDonalds and 7/11 only 50 metres. Unfortunately, for each thing that went right, something was wrong, so not a great situation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Aria Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!