“Noise is so bad would never stay here again ” 1 of 5 stars

Plum Serviced Apartments Southbank
285 City Road | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Ranked #98 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Noise is so bad would never stay here again ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

No double glazing and the traffic noise is terrible. Also a nightclub near by that's open until 5 am and it sounds like your right on top of it. Would NEVER stay again. Worst apartment for noise I have ever stayed in.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

A group of us have been friends since meeting in Sydney in the early 80's and some years back we decided we should all get together every year or two altho we're spread out around the country. As it was we decided on Melbourne as it was easiest for us all to get to. Little did I realise when I organised our weekend it was Melbourne Cup weekend so I thought accommodation might be a little tricky. As it was we got into the Southbank Plum Serviced Apartments. We booked 2 two bedroom apartments and 1 single bedroom. Booking was easy and no probs checking in - we did have to sign a no party and no smoking policy. One of our friends drove from country Victoria and parking was available at the property which she didn't have to book and cost $12/day. The day we arrived a new French Patisserie opened next door which offered great fare - yum.. The rooms were great. The living area was spacious, self contained with kitchenette, laundry and very comfortable. We had a good view from the balcony. It's in a good location and the city centre is within an easy walk - if you like walking that is. All in all a good place to stay and I would again. The only thing that we thought a little unusual in our apartment was the double bedroom door was mostly glass with no curtain or screen so no privacy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I booked a girls weekend away to Melbourne as a surprise for my mum's Birthday. We stayed Friday and left Monday. It was sort of a last minute idea so I couldn't opt for a more pricey apartment but still wanted to stay somewhere nice & a good location. There were 4 of us and I chose the 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment with a city view. We were given a room on the 10th floor.

Pros:
- Location is FANTASIC! Less than 5 minute walk to the Casino and 10 minute walk to the Yarra where all the restaurants and shops are. Without realizing we we there over Chinese New Year and there were markets, food & entertainment right down the Promenade for the whole weekend! Also the city is not far at all, just a tram ride away - maybe 15 minute walk.
The aquarium is also a 10 minute walk away!
- Although we weren't on the highest floor in the building, the view we had from our roon was amazing! Especially at night time. Definitely recommend a city view apartment.
- Apartment had working air conditioning
- The kitchen was reasonable with gas stove, fridge, microwave, dishwasher and all other utensils.

Cons:
- We had trouble when we first checked using the key, it would not work in the lift and we had a to get it changed twice.
- Our apartment was so small for 4 adults. Only one couch in the living area. Really cramped to sit 3 people together, and I often had to sit on the floor.. which I didn't mind since I was the youngest. But I think adding another sofa, even a 1 seater would have made our stay a little more comfy.
- We had 4 single beds, 1 bedroom off the lounge area only had a sliding door separating the rooms. This room did have most of the natural light coming from the main window which was nice.
- This bedroom was also attached to the bathroom/toilet (sliding door again which did not even close or lock properly). And another door from the dining/lounge.
- The second bedroom had a tiny window in the corner which let hardly any natural light in because it was enclosed by surrounding walls. This room was so dark and stuffy.
- The shower had no door.
- And the traffic noise, TERRIBLE if you're a light sleeper. It sounded like we were on the first floor to be honest.
- Attention to detail was poor, scuff marks on the walls and poor paint job. Also finger prints left from previous people.
- The laundry is literally a closet with a washing machine and dryer stacked on top of each other and an iron and ironing board squeezed in.

I booked this room straight through the Plum website. And when I put my credit card details in to pay for the room it had said I'd paid the deposit blah blah, I got a statement in an email. But when we got there reception said the FULL amount was due.. apparently they don't physically take the funds even though the email they send SAYS deposit paid. This really annoyed me, it should be more clear that it's not really a deposit. Lucky I had enough funds on me to cover the full $700*. So be aware that when you pay the 'deposit', it doesn't actually take the funds you still have to pay in full on arrival! If I'd known I wouldn't have been so annoyed by it.

Overall we had a good weekend due to the location and how close we were to everything. The apartment wasn't BAD, but it could have been better.

Probably won't stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

This place was really good. We never had to wait for lifts, reception staff were really helpful. The aircon was fantastic in the heat wave. Close to everything. The apartment itself had plenty of room.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Mooloolaba, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

There are some great things going on here, like the location, but overall I cant say that I'm excited.

Great view from the 37th floor, but cold and uninviting place. The hall is white on white and not at all welcoming, you are grateful for the light colours, as there is no lighting! An energy saving thing, but when the elevator door opens, it is completely dark save for the glow of the emergency exit. Sometimes we got all the way to our door before the sensor turned the lights on! A bit scary when I came home alone.

The apartment was modern and clean, but again lacked any feeling, with no decorations and no storage. Our suitcases were open on the floor and I had to keep my toiletries in my bag. Anything you needed had to balance on the side of the bathroom sink. Not really a one bedroom either, but a studio with glass sliding door to the bed.

Air conditioner didn't work, washing machine didn't work! No window to open, so we got really hot and stuffy, even in moderate weather. Hard to sleep when hot and sweaty! We requested single beds, which were never delivered, as Housekeeping were supposed to unzip the bed. Had our car parking fee refunded for our trouble, which is ok.

The carpark is another thing…not for the faint hearted. It is a corkscrew, where the front of your car meets the wall on the right before your boot leaves the wall on the left. And its two way!! If you are not confident driving this is not for you.

Would I stay again?…not sure. Location is very convenient for Southbank, South Melb and the city, hop on the tram right at the door, McDonalds and 7/11 only 50 metres. Unfortunately, for each thing that went right, something was wrong, so not a great situation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Robina, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Great location to Southbank, Casino, City and Arts precinct. Even South Melbourne markets and restaurans are walking distance.

The 2 bedroom apartment was great for family of four with teenagers for a long stay of four days or more. Will stay again.

Only small issue is the service to the apartment is a bit lacking forgot to leave towels in the room, which is the main requirement for a service.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment on the 7th floor with a city view for 2 nights with our kids. It was great value for money. View was good, location was good. Apartment a reasonable size and self contained. Only thing I would strongly suggest is the glass balustrading desperately needed washing and the apartment required a good paint job and overall thorough clean. Would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Plum Serviced Apartments Southbank? Share your experiences!