“Undecided” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vue de Monde

Vue de Monde
525 Collins Street | Rialto Building 55th Floor, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia
+61 3 9691 3888
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“Undecided”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I am really in two minds about our evening at Vue de monde.

We celabrated our 5th wedding anniversary on a Saturday evening in November with the degustation menu.

The service is amazing, the staff are attentive, polite and as discreet as they can possibly be when they have such a massive job of delivering fodd, clearing and re-setting the table.

The decor is lovely, simple, spacious and the view is undeniably breathtaking, watching the day fade into twilight and then into the evening, watching the lights around Melbournes West come on is a truly beautiful way to enjoy 3 hours. (Really loved patting my kangaroo fur chair)

The food is great, no arguments there but somehow lacking, tiny portions and a few courses that made us wonder where the rest of it was? The wagu beef was the size of an eraser, as was the fish course.

There was plenty of courses, but as we approached the final two dishes my husband was concerned that a Maccas run was on the cards so we ordered an extra course.

The desert was the largest course and also very very sweet so whilst not 100% full it was so sickly sweet that you simply didn't want to eat anything more.

The additon of Truffle to a dish was $60.......and really it just tasted like mushroom.

Cocktails $25, a glass of french wine $27

What we did love was the 'Tea Lady' we have never ordered tea to accompnay our meal but as it was an option and we were trying new and different things we thought we would, a nice touch.

Upon departure we were given a bag for the morning after with tea, cereal, brioche, honey and two biscuits - I was rather impressed with such a thoughtful gesture.

So at the end of the night we had a bill of $620 for two of us, yes it was a great experience, yes the view is lovely and the staff are polite but was it worth the $620 - I am left feeling that maybe it isn't, is the price so high becuase there are as many staff as patrons?

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Breathtaking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

For someone who wants to take in Melbourne at its finest, Vue de monde is the place to do this. If only for a cocktail and to soak up the panoramic views of Melbourne from the 55th floor, it is worth it. The cocktails are pricey but it is an experience worth paying for….but just try stopping at one. Vue de monde offers the top end of fine dining with an extensive and impressive wine cellar. Faultless service compliments your experience.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Left feeling hungry and very disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Dining at Vue de monde is certainly an experience. If you are after a romantic dinner in an intimate environment with discrete service, this is not the place. It has a bistro/café feel about it with lots of wait staff and an open kitchen in the middle so the background noise level is high along with the piped music through ceiling speakers. It was difficult to hear the waiter introduce each course and made conversing with friends across the table very difficult.
Had the degustation menu which is basically a surprise serving of a gourmet morsel in a bite size portion which, although tasty, was hardly filling. Some of the courses were not to our liking so were not eaten. Having ten courses also meant the staff were continually attending the table, clearing away plates and cutlery before arranging the next course. I found this overly fussy and intrusive and made ongoing conversation with dinner partners difficult. The staff appeared rushed to serve each course and clear it away after you had finished your two mouthfuls. There was no taking your time, relaxing and enjoying a prolonged meal.
There was a great range of wines with many available by the glass and the views of Melbourne at sunset and at night were superb.
It was my 50th birthday treat so I was not aware of the final total but I imagine it was considerable.
I’m glad I experienced a meal in an award winning restaurant but it wasn’t for me.
I left feeling hungry and very disappointed.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Brought my best friend here for his birthday!! Amazing view, amazing food, amazing staff...whats not to love?!! Worth every cent! Looking forward to returning in january!!

Visited September 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“It's the best. That simple”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary there and we both agreed that it was the best restaurant we have ever been too.

Nothing to fault at all, simply amazing food, decor, service and ambience

• Visited November 2013