“A refreshing blend between great food and modern presentation.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 4,089 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“A refreshing blend between great food and modern presentation.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Our party of 9 went for the set menu, but then asked for several changes, and this was handled without any fuss. If anything, the quantity if food was overwhelming. But the flavours were mostly good.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Perth, Australia
“A Absolutely Beautiful Night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Coming from Perth it was a great change in scene, loved the Asian fusion flavors all mixed together. Our highlight was the egg net and the oysters with that delicious Thai sauce. The atmosphere was great busy and loud but thats what we were after it was Friday night after all.

The service was excellent, staff were very attentive and we were served by a lovely New Zealander with Thai heritage, the staff were very multicultural which was a great part of our dining experience.

Loved it we will be back for sure!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have heard so many rave reviews of Longrain, but my experience did not live up to the hype.
The staff were lovely and helpful, the restaurant had a good atmosphere and I loved chatting to others at the communal table.
The disappointment was in the food. It was beautifully presented but our prawn dish arrived luke warm and rather bland, followed by a fairly fatty and uninspired pork dish.
Sadly, I would not bother to return.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing Food, offensive service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I recently ate at Longrain with my Grandfather.
The menu and the food around us looked amazing, and it was, absolutely delicious.
When we ordered two main dishes, the waiter recommended rice and a side salad, which suggested that we might not have ordered enough food, so we agreed.
When the meals arrived, they were HUGE! We finished off the rice and decided we would have to ask to take home half of the food in front of us, there was just too much.
One waiter asked if we would like more rice and we declined, then, at a particularly loud moment in the room, another waiter came to take away our empty rice bowl and gestured at me in a way that I interpreted as 'can I take this?', so I nodded and continued my conversation only to look up a couple of minutes later to see a second bowl of rice appearing!
I thought that was actually okay seeing as we were going to take the left-overs home anyway. So, we asked for them to box up the rice and the leftover mains, which they did. But when I opened them the next day for lunch, I realised that they had half filled each container with white rice! Not the full bowl of, more expensive, brown rice that we had paid for.
The food here was incredible, absolutely delicious, but I would not go back to be treated with such disregard. There was not one interaction with the waitstaff that wasn't about up-selling and it was very clear that my elderly Grandfather was not 'trendy' enough to be eating in this restaurant.
It's a shame that somewhere charging an average of $30 for a main meal should feel as though they have to up-sell at every opportunity, it cheapened my experience by a long way.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
LongrainRestaurant, General Manager at Longrain, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Kitchenetter
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food at Longrain.
As our dishes are designed to be shared, we do recommend rice and a side order of greens or salad to balance the flavours of our dishes. Rice is charged per person, refills are not an additional charge. We are sorry that you felt 2 main course size portions were too much food for 2 people and we have taken this on board.
At Longrain, we never condone pretentious behaviour, and we are very sorry that you felt badly treated and that our staff were continuously upselling. This is definitely not our policy.
We will ensure that we speak to all our staff to reiterate the importance of making all our guests feel welcome. We are truly sorry.
If you wish to discuss this further, we would welcome your call.
Please do not hesitate to contact Natasha on 0396713151
Bendigo, Australia
“A Surprise of Inviting Asian Flavours in Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Visit to Longrain in Melbourne was a surprise on a very busy cold Friday night. We were welcomed into a buzzing & exciting warm atmosphere in a large open space warehouse in Melbourne's Chinatown area. We were a party of 2 (my partner was told as we were a party under 4 we could not book) but turning up we were lucky & had seats in no time at one of the 'long tables' with other diners where we enjoyed the fantastic Asian flavours. The service was very quick, professional, friendly & on the ball & the food was just sublime with some of the best blending of tastes we have had for a long time. Our night was a great explosion of flavours in a fantastic venue with excellent service.

• Visited March 2013