“better late than never” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“better late than never”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

was over in Melbourne back in November. can't fault the place staff were great...the $80 buffet was fantastic...the flavours to each course reached through with a bit of afterburn...I was treated to this experience by my partner and a couple of her friends..can honestly say the best meal I have ever had...looking forward to going back in October...licks lips in anticipation

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
Denpasar
“Fantastic nibbles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had a quick drinks and nibbles here. Really enjoyed good food great drinks and service. Flavours well balance and interesting chilli options yummmmm

Visited June 2013
perth
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Last week 8 of us had a Saturday night banquet at Gingerboy. The food was good, but one dish left my mouth completely burned with no apology, and our waitress was frankly awful - abrupt, unfriendly, and we believe she lied to us at least twice. We started with champagne and then wine - glasses were put out, and then all the wine glasses removed. My friend asked to keep her wine glass and was told no. The staff constantly reached over us whilst we were eating - often mid-bite. After being told the brother-in-law eggs were at room temperature and to make sure we ate them in one bite, I burned the entire inside of my mouth - which is still painful 4 days later, I asked the waitress to notify the chef that it was dangerously hot - she never came back and offered no apology. When we checked again with her, she said she had told the chef - but didn't offer any comment or apology. We had been given dishes to share between 4 and when only one arrived for one of the dishes, the 4 at that end of the table ate it all. When we asked where the other dish was, the waitress told us there was only one to share between 8 - the first of the night. So why didn't she tell us? We asked for another as we would still like to try it, and she said she would ask the chef - but again, never came back. When we asked again, she said she had organised for another plate to come. When our meal finished and it still hadn't come, this time she said she'd decided we must have been full by then! Our group was pretty sure no message had ever been given to the chef - either about the too-hot dish, or the mix up with the dishes. A little honesty, good communication and an apology for ruining my mouth in the first 10 minutes of the meal would have gone a long way. I couldn't go back there again based on the service we had, which I would have to say is the worst I've experienced at a restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Amazing food, exceptional service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Melbourne has so many food options to choose from and you would be unfortunate to come across somewhere not great but the food served here was well above average and well worth the visit.
Flavor sensation is the easiest way to describe what was on offer. The waiters were prompt efficient and very pleasant.
Only one negative, it would be good to be able to buy drinks separately at the bar.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Very good, but not outstanding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is the second time I've been to Gingerboy and I'm not sure what it is that doesn't make it perfect, but I've felt it both times. The service is fantastic and certainly the food is delicious - but the banquet just doesn't seem to quite hit the mark.

At $80 a head for food, I would have expected a few more 'out of this world' dishes - but I can't pinpoint one that was a real mind blower. They were all good, but at a restaurant like this I would expect a signature dish that takes you by surprise. We were given the option of substituting dishes of our choice on the baquet menu, but decided to go with the chef's recommendation.

My other slight grievance is that we were placed at a table in the middle of the room just below the step from the bar/kitchen. Unfortunately this meant that my chair was kicked more than several times by people walking past. As we had booked months on advance, I would have liked a better table - but as I said, this is a slight grievance and a lesson.

I would certainly recommend going to Gingerboy, it's consistent and it's a great overall experience. There is no doubt the food is delcious, however next time I go I think I will pick from the a la carte menu rather than choose the banquet.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere