“Unique dishes, with a great atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Gold Coast, Australia
“Unique dishes, with a great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I visited Shoya a few weeks ago for a birthday dinner and thought it had a great Japanese atmosphere. The service was good and it was despite the number of customers, the noise levels were low.
The food was amazing. We chose the Omakase tasting menu (degustation) and experienced a wide range of dishes that I never would have thought - from Sea Urchin to slow cooked Ox Tongue. I definitely recommended it as it provides a good variety and the perfect amount of food.
Would definitely go back and planning to try the lunch menu.

Visited September 2013

Melbourne
“Awesome Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Expensive but awesome food. Make sure to try their Truffle Chawan Mushi. We go there every few months. Service is excellent and deserts are tasty!

Visited August 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“I think I am turning Japanese....but its so expensive to do so!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Tucked into Market Lane just next door to the Flower Drum, the Shoya restuarant is a little Japanese oasis, until you relaise it have 4 or 5 floors and so so little afterall. I lived in Japan for 14 years and get very fussy when it comes to Japanese flavours - I am happy to say that Shoya has authentic flavours and beautiful presentation. I only wish it wasn't so expensive....
All of the sashimi and sushi is great - we also had the Nasudengaku..very nice!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Melbourne, Australia
“A slice of fine Tokyo in a back street of Melbourne.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

To eat Japanese is for me to be alive.
I have eaten fine Japanese in every country , including Japan and this stands with the very best of them. It was my joy to be taken for my birthday to a tatami room by a wonderful friend. I don't have words to describe the quality, attention to detail and purity of ingredients that I had the pleasure to savour. Their chefs hat is well deserved.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Classy !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I celebrated his birthday over dinner at Shoya. We went for degustation manual and it was absolutely well worth it. We thoroughly enjoyed the selective dishes with exotic ingredients and overall fantastic presentation. The service was top notch. Highly recommended if you are after classy ambience and quality food. Definitely will be back for another set of degustation meals.

• Visited August 2013