“Great location, lovely apartment” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Quest Carlton on Finlay

You added Quest Carlton on Finlay to your Saves list
Quest Carlton on Finlay
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 - 9 Finlay Place | Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria 3053, Australia (Carlton)   |
Ranked #71 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Dublin, Ireland
“Great location, lovely apartment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed here for a month while on business and I really liked the place.
The location is perfect; within walking distance to the CBD, all variety of restaurants and sightseeing options.

All the facilities in the apartment were perfect, from the comfortable bed to the lovely shower; both of which were greatly appreciated after a 24hour trip!

The only minor issues I have are
1. The price of parking
2. The signage out front. Both my taxi from the airport and Great Ocean road tour bus had difficulty locating the building. If possible a sign on Lygon street may help over come this

I would recommend this accommodation to anyone travelling to Melbourne.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
QOL, Director of Sales at Quest Carlton on Finlay, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Evelyn46_11,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us and to share your experiences of Quest Carlton on Finlay. We pride ourselves on providing a home away from home experience for our extended stay guests and I will share your positive feedback with our team at the property. Thank you also for your suggestion regarding signage for locating the property. This is something we will certainly look into.
So glad you were able to experience our warm hospitality and we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

I used to stay here all of the time but will not stay here again. Ever. At 11pm roadworks started in the lane outside my room. The only thing this lane leads to is the hotel. There was no chance the hotel didnt know that the guests would be kept awake all night. The road works were due to finish at 7am. It was not nice to wake to a jack hammer. I should have been informed at check in that I would not get any sleep. I didn't pay a bargain basement price for his room. In fact I paid a lot of money. Guests deserve more respect. At midnight I got up and made a reservation at another hotel and moved.

• Stayed May 2012
QOL, Director of Sales at Quest Carlton on Finlay, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear Rmaway,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Quest Carlton on Finlay and of course we are disappointed to hear that you were unsatisfied with your stay.
Roadwords were carried out by the council on Lygon Street earlier this week. We were originally advised they would be carried out on the previous week and made all possible efforts to contact our guests prior to their arrival to advise of this.
The roadworks were then rescheduled to this week (due to wet weather) at which point we then quickly tried to contact all guests and advise of the situation. We also put up signage in the elevator which gave the dates, time and information about the roadworks. I was personally present onsite overnight during the roadworks to deal with any issues and did recieve two telephone calls at which point I moved some guests to rooms further away from the laneway which resolved the issue. I would have been pleased to offer you this option also but from your review it appears that you left the property without advising that you were being disturbed?
While these roadwords were necessary, it is unfortunate that it appears we were unable to advise you prior to your arrival. Had you spoken with management the following day I believe an apology and a refund certainly would have been offered to you.
These roadworks have now been completed and we do not anticipate any further disturbance.
You are welcome to contact me at the property if you would like to discuss this further as you obviously have enjoyed staying with us in the past and we certainly do not wish to lose your business.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I had stayed here twice before and had seen this as a comfortable no frills option in a great location at the city end of Lygon st. The location provides easy access to the city, the Exhibition Building, Melbourne Museum and the varied offerings of cosmopolitan Lygon St. On these previous stays we had apartments looking out over Lygon st. which offered a pleasant vista. Not so this time with our apartment facing directly onto a brick wall adorned with various old ironwork. The lesson to be learned...ask for a room with a view! We did, once we saw our apartment, but the only option was on the 5th flloor and the lift was not working! To be fair we had been warned of the lift malfunction prior to our arrival, and these things happen.The apartment itself was OK: functional but with no outlook it was a little claustrophobic. There was also a rather unpleasant (? cooking) smell, which permeated the third floor corridor. We were not the only ones to make mention of this but nothing seemed to be done in response. So, overall a disappointing experience in a place that I have enjoyed in the past. Perhaps just a bad week?

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment with a view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
QOL, Director of Sales at Quest Carlton on Finlay, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear Neil M,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Quest Carlton on Finlay - it is wonderful to hear that you have enjoyed staying with us a number of times in the past. With regard to your most recent stay, I understand you were staying in one of the apartments on the lower floor which backs onto another building. The brick wall you mention is actually heritage listed signage dating back many years and we like to think of it as our little piece of history!
When you next return please do contact us prior to arrival to request an apartment overlooking Lygon Street or on a higher floor so as to have a more open outlook.
The smell you mention was noticed by a number of guests and of course staff, and this was coming from the lift while it was being renovated - I believe it was the Hydraulic Oil which was replaced - the smell is now gone. You could say it was a difficult week with our lift out of action, so thank you for your understanding.
Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having you return to Quest Carlton on Finlay again in the near future.
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We visited Melbourne to see the King Tutankhamen Exhibition at the Museum - about five minutes' walk away. We wanted to be close to the CBD, but not actually in it. Carlton is the perfect alternative. Its location makes it ideal for foodies as there's restaurants galore nearby. We walked to Melbourne city each day (about 15 minutes away) and really enjoyed the exercise during our five day stay.

Our apartment was booked on the internet. The cheerful receptionist rang the next morning to confirm all our details - including car parking requirements. Check-in was prompt and service fantastic.

Quest Carlton on Finlay is located at the end of a very short laneway off Lygon Street. Ours was a one bedroom apartment with basic kitchenette, small dining area, lounge, combined bathroom/laundry, bedroom and balcony on a lower floor.

The room was clean and comfortable and located at the rear of the building. In addition, the balcony faced a brick wall of the building which backed onto it. Perfect for us as it meant NO street / restaurant / reveller noise at all. We actually appreciated the view of the old signage as we love old buildings - see photos.

My two minor grumbles are:
1. The morning light did penetrate the blinds and curtains - waking us up earlier than we would have liked.
2. Tiny space on the bathroom vanity with no additional wall shelves - it's insufficient to place many toiletries upon.

We will definitely return to Quest Carlton on Findlay - and hopefully be in the same apartment.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are at the rear of the building - on the lower floors. However, you may not have a fabul...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed here with my husband for 8 days to celebrate our anniversary in December. I was a bit wary as some of the recent reviews werent wonderful but as I like to be close to Lygon Street and the restaurants in the evening decided that for the price it seemed to be worthwhile.
I checked their website and a number of sites re prices and then decided to ring and speak to them. I wanted to be sure that we didnt strike the same problems as other reviewers, such as a noisy apartment at the front near the restaurants or looking at the brick wall at the back.
I decided to book a 1 bedroom apartment, rather than a studio, as I had read that the studios were a bit small.
I spoke to a gentleman, who I think was the Manager and he offered me a special rate fo the 8 nights. I explained my concerns about the noise from the restaurants and also that I didnt want to face a brick wall. I also explained it was to celebrate our anniversary and he said that they would definately not book us overlooking the noisy street, but could nto guarantee hhow high up we would be.
When we arrived we were greeted by a lovely young lady with a smile and we were given 2 keys within 2 minutes and were on our way to our apartment on the 4th floor. The apartment was at the back and looked over a small street. They had upgraded us to a 2 bedroom apartment and it was large and spacious with 2 large bedrooms, a lounge, a kitchen, and a dining area and balcony. We were very happy with the apartment. Also as a kind touch they had left a mini bottle of wine forus to celebrate our anniversary, which was a nice touch.
From here we explored everywhere in Melbourne by tram. We needed only walk 2 blocks to Queensberry street and we could get a tram into the city in 5 mins, or continue on to St Kilda, Toorak and a number of other suburbs without changing trams. Or we could just go to Bourke Street and change trams for all other suburbs we wanted to visit.
The reception staff were very helpful with directions on how to get to places we wanted to visit, or else looked it up on the net for us. When we were leaving I asked about somewhere to go to print out our boarding passes but the reception staff happily did that for us. Nothing was too much trouble for the receptionists and always with a smile.
The only 3 small things that could be improved are.
The main bedroom has white blinds that let in a lot of sunlight int he morning where as the 2nd bedroom has black out curtains. It didnt bother us after the first night as we needed to get up and out each day.
There is a balcony but there isnt any chairs, tables to sit outside if you wish. I guess in Melbourne it is usually too cold, however we like fresh air and it was 30 degrees two days we were there.
There were some chips on the vinyl on the bench tops that could be fixed as they are a bit unsightly.
I would definately recommend these apartments to anyone wanting to be away from the rush and bustle of the city, but still near to a whole selection of restaurants and cafes for the evening.
Janderra

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back, on a higher floor so you arent looking at a brick wall.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

As other reviews note, this Quest is situated in an alleyway just off the well-known Lygon Street restaurant strip north of Melbourne's city centre, meaning you have a huge choice of excellent, fun restaurants, many with European-style outdoor seating, at your literal doorstep. It's also a stone's throw away from Carlton Gardens, Melbourne Museum and the impressive Royal Exhibition Building, meaning it's a great location for traveling, limited-engagement exhibitions. It's also close to the university, trams, an IGA and other stores.

I've stayed in several Quests and enjoy their serviced apartment concept, which essentially means a suite-type arrangement with kitchen and laundry facilities, and basic ancillary hotel services - no doormen or bellboys here! Great in particular for an extended stay (in this case, for a trade show) where you might want to eat "at home" sometimes. Having two bedrooms, as offered at the Quest Carlton, is also an economical option for families or business colleagues.

Our room was modern and up-to-date, comfortable and very clean. We had the same problem as another reviewer in that, being in alley behind a bunch of restaurants, the noise outside our room the first night was really loud at closing time. Being on a lower floor at the front, soundproofing was lacking to the point you could easily hear low conversations of the kitchen staff as they emptied restaurant rubbish and empty bottles, and the shouts of tipsy revelers making their ways home down Lygon Street. A few hours later the garbage truck showed up and made an incredible racket. All meaning a sleepless night before a big trade show opening.

The following morning, the gracious and helpful staff moved us to a different, much quieter room, and we were very happy for the remainder of our stay. Lygon Street is a foodie's heaven and it was a real treat to get back from a hard day at work, stroll out the front door and eat something delicious and novel every night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
QOL, Director of Sales at Quest Carlton on Finlay, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
Dear Vioto,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at Quest Carlton on Finlay. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our property and location. We wish to apologise however for the disruption you experienced on your first night and we are very glad that our staff were able to quickly and professionally resolve the issue for you.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Melbourne soon!
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

Spent four nights here for work at the end of June 2011. Good room, and well located just off from the Lygon St restaurants.  The room was a little smaller than Quest on Lonsdale, but it was a nice change from the CBD.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Quest Carlton on Finlay? Share your experiences!