“Great budget property” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Budget Melbourne CBD

You added Ibis Budget Melbourne CBD to your Saves list
Ibis Budget Melbourne CBD
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   97 - 103 Elizabeth Street | Near the Corner of Collins & Elizabeth, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Hotel Formule 1)   |
Ranked #105 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“Great budget property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

3 nights - $95 per night

Location is the standout for this property. The room is minimal, has a bed, desk, tv, airconditioner, sink, toilet and shower. Sheets, towels and a bar of soap is all that is provided. There is nothing fancy with this property, but then again it provides the basic necessities. The property did allow us to leave our luggage there for free prior to check in. Wifi is charged and you cannot check in prior to 2pm. All in all extremely good value budget accommodation, with enough necessities to make it easily liveable for the no fuss traveller. Don't expect 5 star treatment but rates highly in the budget category

Room Tip: Get a room to the right of the elevator (as you exit - towards the back fo the hotel) as there will...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Ballina, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The service I received was very good all round. The room sufficient for the time we needed to be in the room. the position was perfect for us. We needed to catch a tram to Melbourne Park for the two days. I could recommend the hotel for people like us.

I thank you for the services whilst we were there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
North Albury, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is a great place to stay. Great value for money and the staff are excellent, bent over backwards to help us. We required a reduced mobility room and this was the one of the best we have stayed in. Plenty or room in the bathroom and in the room to leave the wheelchair. On this visit we had a fridge in our room which was a bonus.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mooball Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights over the Marathon weekend last October. It was a great location as its just a 10 min walk to the MCG where the races start etc, and very convenient for trams and Flinders St Railway Station. Our room had the queen bed on bottom with a bunk on top and whilst a cosy size was adequate for our stay. The shower and toilet were also small but adequate. The staff let us check in several hours early which was a great convenience. Our room was quiet, had no view and we were very pleased with the value for the location. So many great restaurants and cafes nearby. We didn't have breakfast there but chose to eat out. We'll happily choose this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle Aust
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

A great budget motel now known as Ibis Budget in Elizebeth street Melbourne. It has good clean facilities, comfortable bedding (queen and bunk) small but acceptable shower and toilet. Good front desk on 1st floor. Good kitchen and breakfast facilities. The location is great. Centre of Melbourne. Walking distance to south bank. Trams at front door.
I'll be back

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was having a reunion with three friends in Melbourne and we all stayed at Formule 1 Elizabeth Street at the start of December. I've visited Melbourne before and have also stayed at the Causeway (which is behind Formule 1) of the two, I liked Formule 1 better. These types of hotels make use of existing (usually old) buildings which are converted into accommodation, so the design is unconventional - no ground floor lobby, just a doorway leading down a long hall to lifts. Reception is on the second floor and the layout is sprawling - corridors head off in all directions, it can be a bit disorientating initially but you get used to it!

Near Reception is a generously sized dining room/kitchen for guest use, which was very tidy. There are also vending machines, a laundry, internet, and baggage storage on the second floor. Check in and out was quick and efficient, the reception staff were helpful and friendly and the website easy to use. I really liked the room layout - while the rooms are small (the shower is only separated from the rest of the room by a curtain), the bunk style bed arrangement was great - I used the upper bunk bed as storage, so I was able to put my bags and shopping up out of the way. The rooms are showing their age a bit (dents and scrapes in the walls etc) but I understand they are about to get overhauled. Bedding, towels and cleaning were all of a good standard. As previously mentioned this type of hotel is a converted building on the inside of the block, so don't expect any type of view from the windows (apart from the sides of surrounding buildings).

The location is absolutely excellent - so convenient. Five minutes walk up Elizabeth St was David Jones and Myers, and five minutes in the opposite direction is Flinders Street Station (and trams run in Elizabeth St too). There's a discount chemist across the road for supplies and a diverse range of shopping and food options all around. We had booked Hopetoun tearooms before arriving and discovered it was straight across the road! It was a great to be able to drop back into the hotel anytime to drop off bags or change and then head back out.

Pro's: location, location, location. Well priced rooms for the visitor who just needs somewhere to put their head down each night. Couldn't be closer to all types of public transport, and Elizabeth Street is a busy public street, so I had no concerns for personal safety (some parts of Melbourne inner city turn into a ghost town at night).

Con's: slow lifts, the lack of a separate bathroom would probably be a problem for travellers sharing a room. For some reason we all found that we weren't getting a full recharge on phones, iPods etc - some of the power points didn't work.

But the cons are forgiveable and I'll stay here again. And an honourable mention for service - when I first checked in I noticed that the bathroom fan clattered when it stopped, with several nights in front of me I decided it was going to bug me, so I went to Reception, explained my concern and a staff member came back to my room, listened for the sound and immediately switched my room and apologised for the inconvenience and assured me they'd call in a repairman. The point I'm making here is for the benefit of other Trip Advisor reviewers - this is an example of good service! Things can go wrong, and the hotelier deserves to be given the chance to rectify the issue without getting hammered in a review - the staff at Formule 1 rectified my issue very professionally and quickly.

Room Tip: Getting a room on a lower floor means you can make a quick escape using the stairs instead of waitin...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Ibis Budget Melbourne CBD? Share your experiences!