“Perfect location on a budget” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Budget Melbourne CBD

You added Ibis Budget Melbourne CBD to your Saves list
Ibis Budget Melbourne CBD
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   97 - 103 Elizabeth Street | Near the Corner of Collins & Elizabeth, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Hotel Formule 1)   |
Ranked #116 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Mooball Australia
“Perfect location on a budget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights over the Marathon weekend last October. It was a great location as its just a 10 min walk to the MCG where the races start etc, and very convenient for trams and Flinders St Railway Station. Our room had the queen bed on bottom with a bunk on top and whilst a cosy size was adequate for our stay. The shower and toilet were also small but adequate. The staff let us check in several hours early which was a great convenience. Our room was quiet, had no view and we were very pleased with the value for the location. So many great restaurants and cafes nearby. We didn't have breakfast there but chose to eat out. We'll happily choose this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Newcastle Aust
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

A great budget motel now known as Ibis Budget in Elizebeth street Melbourne. It has good clean facilities, comfortable bedding (queen and bunk) small but acceptable shower and toilet. Good front desk on 1st floor. Good kitchen and breakfast facilities. The location is great. Centre of Melbourne. Walking distance to south bank. Trams at front door.
I'll be back

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was having a reunion with three friends in Melbourne and we all stayed at Formule 1 Elizabeth Street at the start of December. I've visited Melbourne before and have also stayed at the Causeway (which is behind Formule 1) of the two, I liked Formule 1 better. These types of hotels make use of existing (usually old) buildings which are converted into accommodation, so the design is unconventional - no ground floor lobby, just a doorway leading down a long hall to lifts. Reception is on the second floor and the layout is sprawling - corridors head off in all directions, it can be a bit disorientating initially but you get used to it!

Near Reception is a generously sized dining room/kitchen for guest use, which was very tidy. There are also vending machines, a laundry, internet, and baggage storage on the second floor. Check in and out was quick and efficient, the reception staff were helpful and friendly and the website easy to use. I really liked the room layout - while the rooms are small (the shower is only separated from the rest of the room by a curtain), the bunk style bed arrangement was great - I used the upper bunk bed as storage, so I was able to put my bags and shopping up out of the way. The rooms are showing their age a bit (dents and scrapes in the walls etc) but I understand they are about to get overhauled. Bedding, towels and cleaning were all of a good standard. As previously mentioned this type of hotel is a converted building on the inside of the block, so don't expect any type of view from the windows (apart from the sides of surrounding buildings).

The location is absolutely excellent - so convenient. Five minutes walk up Elizabeth St was David Jones and Myers, and five minutes in the opposite direction is Flinders Street Station (and trams run in Elizabeth St too). There's a discount chemist across the road for supplies and a diverse range of shopping and food options all around. We had booked Hopetoun tearooms before arriving and discovered it was straight across the road! It was a great to be able to drop back into the hotel anytime to drop off bags or change and then head back out.

Pro's: location, location, location. Well priced rooms for the visitor who just needs somewhere to put their head down each night. Couldn't be closer to all types of public transport, and Elizabeth Street is a busy public street, so I had no concerns for personal safety (some parts of Melbourne inner city turn into a ghost town at night).

Con's: slow lifts, the lack of a separate bathroom would probably be a problem for travellers sharing a room. For some reason we all found that we weren't getting a full recharge on phones, iPods etc - some of the power points didn't work.

But the cons are forgiveable and I'll stay here again. And an honourable mention for service - when I first checked in I noticed that the bathroom fan clattered when it stopped, with several nights in front of me I decided it was going to bug me, so I went to Reception, explained my concern and a staff member came back to my room, listened for the sound and immediately switched my room and apologised for the inconvenience and assured me they'd call in a repairman. The point I'm making here is for the benefit of other Trip Advisor reviewers - this is an example of good service! Things can go wrong, and the hotelier deserves to be given the chance to rectify the issue without getting hammered in a review - the staff at Formule 1 rectified my issue very professionally and quickly.

Room Tip: Getting a room on a lower floor means you can make a quick escape using the stairs instead of waitin...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The location is really good for a hotel at this price range. It is located right in the middle of the CBD and it's easy to get around anywhere. The service was good. I like that it has bed for 3 people, queen and bunk because i was travelling with my family. Overall I enjoy the stay there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

(Stayed 6 nights, bunk room with 4 single bunk beds)

Me and three friends stayed for a conference happening in Melbourne, we didn't expect much as we got an excellent rate for such a convenient location. The room was average as the beds rattled throughout the night, besides that we were given basic bathroom amenities (no problems!) and complete bedding for all four beds.

There is no storage cabinets so you'd be living out of your suitcase (also not a problem for us). There is one chair and a small table, good for using a laptop. We had a room facing away from the street which meant it was quiet throughout our stay.

The staff were friendly and I think there is also kitchen facilities, but we were busy and didn't have time to look through completely.

The location is what you pay for here, it's a safe place no matter what time you come in at and is so close that if you're just going to look around the Melbourne CBD you don't really need to take public transport. Flinders Street Station is about 6 minutes walk away.

All in all, it is a budget hotel so don't expect the world and you should be good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights over Christmas andit was ok.
The room was ok, double bed, with ensuite (kind of! Shower in room with a curtain around and separate toilet)
For the price the hotel is great, located in central CBD two ins from shops trams etc
It is clean and our towels were changed daily even on Christmas Day!!
It was a little noisy sometimes at night but this was other guests
However it does need a repaint!! The corridors are dark grey and dimly lit making it rather depressing
Ad the door are all a horrible luminous yellow colour!! Not the best
But for price and location it definitely beats a hostel

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed in Formule 1 Melbourne CBD (Elizabeth Street) for 4 night. We stayed in an ensuite room. Before checking out, I found that the camera put in the unlocked side bag of my luggage was gone. There were two time we left our room, the previous night and the morning before we checked out at 2pm. I reported to the hotel receptionists and what they said to me was they could not help after showing me a door opening diary of my room. More annoyed when I found my small notebook which record my personal information including account numbers and passwords was disappeared. I was very sure that my camera and notebook were lost in the hotel and I did not trust the staff. What they did was of suspicious. They did not let me go with them when they came to my door to record the door opening diary. Who knew what they did with the system and showed me the liar record. Extremely disappointed with the cheated hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
F1Manager, General Manager at Ibis Budget Melbourne CBD, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
The Hotel has asked for these guest comments to be removed from Trip advisor.

Not because they wish to pull a 'cover up' but because these allegations have been proven to be completely false and unfounded.

A data read of the door lock shows no entry into the room apart from the guests in question. If the door opening device is used on a door this will also show up on the electronic log - we cannot faulsify this.

Hotels ALWAYS treat something like this with great seriousness and gravity.
We did investigate room enrty's for this guests, No One entered the room except the guests themselves.

I'm sorry you did not feel you could continue to address this issue directly with the hotel, but calling people theives and Liars in a public forum is a great way to vent I suppose. And might I add a great way to ruin someones life. Unfounded comments such as these are just not right, whilst I understand your frustration - I cannot condone this approach.

We are sorry you 'Lost' your items - but we do have proof that no one here has stolen them.

As previously requested please contact me directly to discuss.
Regards,
Tracy.
Hotel General Manager

Been to Ibis Budget Melbourne CBD? Share your experiences!